blondchaser

What an increase !!!

Just renewed with Coast. (Aviva underwriters)   

Premium DOWN 5% from last year. Same cover, replacement value updated.

Maybe they charged me too much last year? Even so they were (and still are) cheaper than Caravan guard, CMC and the other usual names.

In a Facebook group there is a discussion and Frank Pickles  keeps getting mentioned and saying it is cheaper but others saying when claiming difficult to get acceptance, anyone any experience of claiming with them or others because that is the biggest test factor in choosing, how do they do when your in trouble.

Posted (edited)

Ours has gone up too despite having made no claims but I’ve upped my security by since using  an Alko Chassis lock ....

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

We was with Asda Insurance last year (Towergate)

had quotes this from them, and also direct from Towergate, as well as C&CC,... tried Saga but they won’t do the New for Old until owned van 2yrs 😑

todays homework: try NFU, Comfort, LV / Confused 🤗

Edited by montymal53

30 minutes ago, montymal53 said:

Ours has gone up too despite having made no claims but I’ve upped my security by since using  an Alko Chassis lock ....

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

We was with Asda Insurance last year (Towergate)

had quotes this from them, and also direct from Towergate, as well as C&CC,... tried Saga but they won’t do the New for Old until owned van 2yrs 😑

todays homework: try NFU, Comfort, LV / Confused 🤗

Tried NFU yesterday; told that they won't quote for caravans unless you have either motor or household insurance already with them ... Our existing insurer has refused to provide cover at our existing storage 'because of increasing thefts in the area'. It seems that the thefts occurred at a different local storage yard, about 1 mile away local caravan dealer where access is much more 'open', whereas our storage has Barbed wire high fences, automatic high steel doors, security lighting, CCTV and access limited by having to use a specified mobile phone to open the gate on both entrance and exit. I.e. 1 location is a caravan dealer that makes money by providing storage and ours is a storage facility akin to Fort Knox! C&CC will offer cover but don't need it until 22nd August and they would have taken the premium yesterday, 3 weeks early, if I had accepted their quote, despite their not being on risk until the cover date. I know they all do this, but not with my money!

Steve

43 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I know they all do this, but not with my money!

Premium can often change if you leave it 'til last minute.  (Though some insurers' quotes are guaranteed for nn days).

A Credit Card purchase may mean you don't really pay until bill arrives later?

12 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Premium can often change if you leave it 'til last minute.  (Though some insurers' quotes are guaranteed for nn days).

A Credit Card purchase may mean you don't really pay until bill arrives later?

I play the 'wait for the Statement Date' game on the credit card quite shamelessly, but it is the principle of a company taking my money 3 weeks before they assume any contractual liability that is unacceptable. Added to which, it is my available credit that is diminished during this time, and, if I decide not to proceed, it will take the ubiquitous '3 to 5 working days for the refund to reach your account'. Lastly, while we are all stupid enough to accept this practice, the insurance providers will keep taking our money. Remember when insurers transferred all the Call Centre work offshore until customers began cancelling after problems understanding the foreign staff? Companies like Prudential didn't bring the operations back to UK as an act of kindness, just because it was threatening their income and profits stream. Not that I get too wound up about thiskind of exercise, you understand? :D

Steve

I am with Caravanguard, premium dropped even though I have purchased a new caravan AND gone fo “New for old” cover so add them to your list! 

Discounts for Alko wheel and hitch locks, ATC and having an HGV licence. 

Andy

I wonder if the cost of renewing on an older caravan is higher than a new is because parts for older caravans are difficult to source and probably a lot more expensive?

My previous one was only 5 years old so not sure if that would be the case. ALao I didn’t have “New for old” on the old one anyway. Most insurers have a clause which says if parts are unobtainable they will simply reimburse you the last available cost of it.

Andy

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

My previous one was only 5 years old so not sure if that would be the case. ALao I didn’t have “New for old” on the old one anyway. Most insurers have a clause which says if parts are unobtainable they will simply reimburse you the last available cost of it.

Andy

When you say "it" are you referring to the part or the caravan as more then likely you are claiming because of  damage to the caravan?

I thought that’s what I posted but yes I was referring to the insurance company simply paying out the last available price for a part if that part is no longer available (such as a a particular graphic etc)

Andy

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am with Caravanguard, premium dropped even though I have purchased a new caravan AND gone fo “New for old” cover so add them to your list! 

Discounts for Alko wheel and hitch locks, ATC and having an HGV licence. 

Andy

I am about to be excommunicated by CaravanGuard because of their Underwriters' refusal to approve the existing storage arrangements because of thefts from a caravan dealers about 1 mile away. The latter also provide storage, but the very nature of their operation means that they cannot provide the level of security used at my storage facility. Hey ho, I'll change to C&CC Insurance.

Steve

1 hour ago, marchie1053 said:

I am about to be excommunicated by CaravanGuard because of their Underwriters' refusal to approve the existing storage arrangements because of thefts from a caravan dealers about 1 mile away. The latter also provide storage, but the very nature of their operation means that they cannot provide the level of security used at my storage facility. Hey ho, I'll change to C&CC Insurance.

Steve

What will happen when you answer the question "Have you had caravan insurance refused"?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, David 38 said:

What will happen when you answer the question "Have you had caravan insurance refused"?

Answer is no. The Underwriters have said, via CaravanGuard, that they will provide cover at an alternative location. That is not a refusal of cover, and C&CC are happy with the current storage [full address and specifications of storage declared by me].

The 'Insurance Refused?' relates more to declined cover because of undisclosed risk/claims history/ bankruptcy/criminal convictions etc, all of which are further specific questions.

Steve

21 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I thought that’s what I posted but yes I was referring to the insurance company simply paying out the last available price for a part if that part is no longer available (such as a a particular graphic etc)

Andy

Surely they would write off the caravan due to damage?  Never heard of them paying the difference for a part?

I’ve seen that some insurance companies are declining to insure Lunar caravans. Will have to see what’s what when ours comes up for renewal in May

20 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I’ve seen that some insurance companies are declining to insure Lunar caravans. Will have to see what’s what when ours comes up for renewal in May

But they are prepared to insure cars that have been out of production for decades or imported caravans?  Obviously insurance companies to avoid, but I am surprised that this has surfaced considering that Lunar have not yet closed up shop as still looking for a buyer.  Did these insurance companies do similar when Avondale etc closed down?

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

But they are prepared to insure cars that have been out of production for decades or imported caravans?  Obviously insurance companies to avoid, but I am surprised that this has surfaced considering that Lunar have not yet closed up shop as still looking for a buyer.  Did these insurance companies do similar when Avondale etc closed down?

The difference is that with cars, there are generally pattern part makers, so the insurer can be more certain they can get appropriate parts... With caravans the volume is much lower than cars, so there is no business for anyone making pattern parts

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:14, Miggs said:

Towergate were up 20% as well.  Annoying since inflation is about 2.5% so we are told!

Told them where to go and used MyInsurance at less than previous years price with Towergate.

Yes my renewalwas up 25% too. I went on their site, and put in the exact same details, then rang them duly armed. I was given a story about rates I didn't believe, but finished up with slightly better cover for less than last year!

Ridiculous though it is you just have to play the game..

Posted (edited)

Came up on the similar Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157455182931667&set=gm.1289746194536066&type=3&eid=ARDke5J3XJDFaPn5c1oKyS85NfCSUOivea9SYe1kK-YnEaSrFjHTsrH4IYg-nX6-8E0bpvse2LCFAtWC&ifg=1

Do you think it genuine or Fake as other caravan makers are out of business and insurance can still be had.

Edited by David 38