Sign in to follow this  
Ant2324

Sprite major 6td & quattro 6 DD

Anybody have any real world reviews on these vans? Have narrowed our search to these 2 i think for now!!🙈

We own the former and think it's a great van. We have two kids, 3 & 7. The layout allows us to have their beds ready made plus we dump our bedding on one of the bunks. We eat around the rear dinette. Front lounge is huge and toilet and shower very usable. Kitchen is big enough but the weakest part of the van as it's fairly narrow.

We've looked at the DD, it's slightly longer than the 6td but otherwise similar. It basically gives you a bigger kitchen and a little more space in the toilet.  It loses the fixed bunks but I imagine the two singles at the rear would be great for older kids.

I think it will come down to how old your kids are, whether you are year round caravanner and whether you want the extra weight and length of the twin axle.

Kids are 2 and 7, it will be used all year round. We liked the fixed bunks as for the kids we wouldnt have to make and take down beds every morning/night. But like you say the kitchen does seem a bit narrow. Does it affect how you can use the kitchen? Or is it a pain if someone wants to walk past?

10 minutes ago, Ant2324 said:

Kids are 2 and 7, it will be used all year round. We liked the fixed bunks as for the kids we wouldnt have to make and take down beds every morning/night. But like you say the kitchen does seem a bit narrow. Does it affect how you can use the kitchen? Or is it a pain if someone wants to walk past?

We do a lot of cooking so it's certainly practical enough but yes, you have to move out of the way if someone needs to pass. The alternative is a van with the bathroom at the back which brings different compromises.

The DD wasn't an option when we bought but I'd struggle to see us opting for it now - the extra space required to store and pitch and lack of fixed bunks aren't really outweighed by the longer kitchen. If the kids were bigger then it might be a different story. That's just us though.

Thanks for the info, i think we are in the same boat as you dont see the benefit of slightly bigger kitchen to loose 2 bunks.  Build quality seem ok? Stands up to family life? 

12 minutes ago, Ant2324 said:

Thanks for the info, i think we are in the same boat as you dont see the benefit of slightly bigger kitchen to loose 2 bunks.  Build quality seem ok? Stands up to family life? 

Well.... Ours had to go back for a major repair at 2 year old but that was handled well.

Overall it's pretty sturdy although not as solid as our 2001 Sterling. I'm thinking edging trim to cupboards and adjustments to drawers etc.

out of interest what dealer did you buy from, we are east midands based.

1 hour ago, Ant2324 said:

out of interest what dealer did you buy from, we are east midands based.

Lowdhams in Huddersfield.

Ours is actually a dealer special, which I'd recommend because things like the ATC, solar panel, extractor fan, door window are nice to have 

I wouldn't rush back to that dealer though I hear better things about the Nottingham branch. There are many dealer specials out there to choose from though.

This a mini review I did on Swift Talk a few weeks ago.

have had my van now for 3 weeks it’s a Swift Sienna 6 TD which dealers special edition based on the Sprite Major 6 TD.

so far I’m very happy with the caravan it’s a big step up from our 2006 5 berth Swift Challenger. It toes much better and uses less fuel even though it’s heavier. I’m assuming this is down to the aerodynamics. It also has ATC which I haven’t used so far but it’s good to know there is additional assistance if needed.

I’m very happy with the exterior and the front sunroof is a great addition the LED lights make the van look so much more modern. 

Inside is where have seen the biggest improvements it feels like there is so much more space and the layout is very family friendly. Bedtime for my 4 year old is so much easier and she has her own space at the back and we have ours in the evenings. The seating area is great there is no need to get the large table out as this fits us great. The bunk beds are very comfortable as they have full length mattresses, I’m 6ft and I could spend a full night in there. At the back both bunks get their own windows and lights which kids love. There is loads of space which is great for families and everything that comes with it. 

The bathroom is great the shower is fully lined and has good pressure there is plenty of room in there.

The kitchen is good too we now have a microwave but lost one electric burner. We like the full size sink with good water pressure. The fridge seems bigger too and we like the blue light in there.

the front area is large and comfortable the mattresses are much more comfortable and I don’t get back ache any more.

Both myself and my wife like the interior it’s much more modern and user friendly. The lights is great and there is much more adjustment so the lights can be dimmed etc. 

The heating seems much more balanced and the rear gets hot air too which was lacking in our old caravan. I have read a few reviews about Swift Command but I think it’s brilliant idea, I can track the caravan adjust the lighting from the bed or set it to come on when we are out. It’s similar to Hive which we have at home I’m looking forward to using the heating function in the winter so we can return back to a warm van.

I miss the additional shelf at the front fir the TV I’m not sure about the tv on the draws.

my preference would be to use the electric job but we only have 3 gas burners it’s not a big deal but we used it slot when on electric pitch’s. I don’t know if this can be retro fitted?

all on all we are very happy with the van and I’m looking forward to our first trip abroad with a caravan.

if anyone is thinking of buying a caravan with this layout I’m happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for that, seems you a pretty happy with the van then? We have looked at a sprite super quattro db and loved the extra width seemed to make the van feel twice as wide! That one has now sold and struggling to find another fairly local. Looks like we will be waiting for the 2020 models to start coming out before we buy now. 

Yeah pretty happy with the van it’s comfortable,  practical and suits our needs.

I bought a last years model from the dealer so saved about 3.5k and got a free motormover so for the money they were brilliant. You also still get the full 10 years warranty as you’re the first owner.

The quality compared to the Bailey and Lunar also seems better looking at these in the dealers.

I agree about the quality we looked at bailey pegasus grande and then the swift, swift feels much nicer inside looks and build quality

Ant.

The new 2019 Sprite Quattro DD we looked into from my earlier post is at Salop Leisure but probably too far from you.

In saying that they have a fantastic on site touring park called 'Love to Stay' and folk coming from further afield for service etc. seem to book into it for an over nighter or two on the service etc. day.

Just a thought as our new caravan is coming from 100 miles from where we live, no choice only one brand dealer and we will stay local to them on service days etc.

I used to work down the road from them, shrewsbury? We are waiting for a house sale to go through anyway before we can purchase so didnt want to be going to far away as i cant actually buy it yet! 😩 probably end up waiting for the NEC show to come round by the time house is completed etc

10 hours ago, Griff said:

In saying that they have a fantastic on site touring park called 'Love to Stay' 

If you want a shock to the system, check out the prices to stay there!

• Like 1

When I used to have  VW transporter there is also a Salop vans which I think is part of the same group and the prices there were 3-5k above anywhere else