g7eor

Smoking Clutches

We have just got back from a trip to the Channel Isles. We went on the Condor Liberation from Poole We were the last to board the ferry others had reversed about 100 yds onto the ferry before us. The smell of burning clutches was terrible, ( Not mine we have a campervan) How many people know that they have to reverse onto the ferry with a caravan. 

1 minute ago, g7eor said:

How many people know that they have to reverse onto the ferry with a caravan. 

I guess we all do now :ph34r:

Gordon.

How many could manage it? Useful info to know if planning a journey there

Does a RO RO ferry run to the channel islands, this would be a better option.

macafee2

You'd also need to reverse onto the Pentland Ferry to Orkney - although there is an alternative drive-through ferry run by North Link, but more expensive.

Some time back I was going to Cherbourg and was first in the ferry line with caravan. One of the quay staff stopped me and asked if I was an experienced caravanner, answer yes but not knowing what he wanted.....stay till the end please...so I did and was then asked, with brand new car and 'van, to reverse between two lorries and then do a sharp left and park between two stanchions........I did it then but couldn't do it now!

geoff    

• Like 1

I've visited Guernsey several times to work at the "Fete d'Etai" at Castle Cornet, telling medieval stories & playing the music. Each time I've been on the Liberation. Each time it's run late. Each time somebody on the island has reminded me that it always runs late, that in early days it crashed the  harbour,  and that "of course it's the wrong boat for these waters." Whether it's the lady selling fish & chips on the front, or a chance encounter you get talking to, it's the same.
I'm working there again this August. I expect they'll say it again! And it's true, it doesn't handle the Channel waters well, it was built for the long Pacific swells.
But it's a great trip for a foot passenger with no need to reverse anything!

that must be an awful shock to most caravanners  wanting to take the ferry, on site most folk use the motor mover. 

39 minutes ago, joanie said:

that must be an awful shock to most caravanners  wanting to take the ferry, on site most folk use the motor mover. 

A frightening number of caravanners cannot reverse straight, let alone round a corner.

Come to think of it I have come across far, far too many drivers who cannot reverse a car solo either!

Perhaps it should be part of the driving test...……..

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Come to think of it I have come across far, far too many drivers who cannot reverse a car solo either!

Perhaps it should be part of the driving test...……..

It was when I passed my test - isn't it anymore?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MalH said:

It was when I passed my test - isn't it anymore?

No, reversing around a corner has been dropped, apparently because it is dangerous !!!!

Same as the three point turn,  again dropped in favour of turn in as few moves as possible.

Edited by Brecon

50 minutes ago, Brecon said:

No, reversing around a corner has been dropped, apparently because it is dangerous !!!!

Same as the three point turn,  again dropped in favour of turn in as few moves as possible.

But not as dangerous as those who pass their Driving Test, then proceed to clip every corner, imperiling those  who have actually pulled up to the Stop/Give Way sign, for a clear view of the junction, rather than 6 feet back ...

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

Aah, you've met my wife then! :D

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

Is it still the case in the UK that you can't drive on a motorway until you've passed your driving test?

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

I had to redo my driving test in 1996 and was very surprised to be asked to reverse around a corner.  I objected and was told it was part of the test. 

I made it abundantly clear that I objected to such a dangerous practice and would only do the reverse under objection as I needed my UK driving licence. 

I never had to do that type of manoeuvrer when doing my test for my normal driving licence or for driving high speed pursuit police vehicles.  It should never have been a part of the test in the UK.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Is it still the case in the UK that you can't drive on a motorway until you've passed your driving test?

Drivers are be allowed on motorways in Wales, England and Scotland. ... The change to the Highway Code states that provisional licence holders can drive on the motorway, but only in a dual-control car and they must be accompanied by a DVSA approved driving instructor. This came into force last year.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I failed my test first time because I clipped a kerb coming out of an alleyway that I had been told to reverse into, this was way back in 1959.

geoff

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I had to redo my driving test in 1996 and was very surprised to be asked to reverse around a corner.  I objected and was told it was part of the test. 

I made it abundantly clear that I objected to such a dangerous practice and would only do the reverse under objection as I needed my UK driving licence. 

I never had to do that type of manoeuvrer when doing my test for my normal driving licence or for driving high speed pursuit police vehicles.  It should never have been a part of the test in the UK.

Reversing round a corner, as used to be included in the UK driving test is only dangerous if done round an unsuitable corner and, unfortunately, suitable corners are often not to be found near driving test centres.

What should be a mandatory part of the test is reversing into a driveway, together with reversing in a straight line. I despair at the number of drivers who reverse out of driveways and even need both sides of the road to do so.

Back to the thread, it’s normal on Greek island ferries to reverse on. I wouldn’t fancy trying it with a caravan because of the nature and angle of the ramp, not to mention foot passengers boarding at the same time!

Have just read in the Jersey Evening Post that Brittany Ferries have "expressed an interest" in buying Condor.

We had to reverse the length of Brittany Ferries Cap Finistère upper deck to get off the ferry the first time we crossed to Bilbao. If you can’t do it the deck hands ask you to open your window and they lean in and will steer you off! We could, but it was unnerving because we were close to the ship’s structure. Second crossing no reversing. Drove around the other side of the deck and then down to sea level. Not sure why we had to first time!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I had to redo my driving test in 1996 and was very surprised to be asked to reverse around a corner....

I made it abundantly clear that I objected to such a dangerous practice

I'd be interested to watch what happens if you find yourself up the end of a cul-de-sac; or indeed up my own house driveway where I have a reversing spur that requires "reversing round a corner" as part of turning the car round (the alternative would be to reverse into a 60mph road when I next drive away). What do you do if you find you have taken a wrong turning and need to turn back? Around where I live you could go for dozens of miles before you found a roundabout.

I think the problem is in how you are imagining a "corner". Perhaps you are imagining high brick walls up to the edge of the roadway?  A corner could simply be the flat and open view area such is is often provided at the end of a cul-de-sac. Or it could be either reversing into or out of a slot in a supermarket car park. The test is/was about the skill to position the car where you want it to go while reversing in a curve.

Edited by Bolingbroke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolingbroke said:

I think the problem is in how you are imagining a "corner". Perhaps you are imagining high brick walls up to the edge of the roadway?  A corner could simply be the flat and open view area such is is often provided at the end of a cul-de-sac. Or it could be either reversing into or out of a slot in a supermarket car park. The test is/was about the skill to position the car where you want it to go while reversing in a curve.

Yes, the all the corners round here that were used for this were broad and flat with ample visibility and very little traffic.

‘Reversing around a corner’ replicated multiple examples of needing to reverse and steer, not exactly a unique task

• Like 1

When are they introducing the "find the best parking space and pull in front first so you can still put the shopping in your boot" test?

Lady Vimes still insists on finding the tightest, busiest spot and reversing in. And then complains about the pressure.

13 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

I'd be interested to watch what happens if you find yourself up the end of a cul-de-sac; or indeed up my own house driveway where I have a reversing spur that requires "reversing round a corner" as part of turning the car round (the alternative would be to reverse into a 60mph road when I next drive away). What do you do if you find you have taken a wrong turning and need to turn back? Around where I live you could go for dozens of miles before you found a roundabout.

If you missed a turning you would use common sense and use the correct procedure and carry on to the next available place where you can safely turn.  If you turned off at the incorrect motorway ramp, would you reverse back down to rejoin the motorway.  I have seen this happen and on one occasion when joining a dual carriageway A road, a motorhome was reversing back down the ramp and we nearly collided with the vehicle.

41 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If you missed a turning you would use common sense and use the correct procedure and carry on to the next available place where you can safely turn.

So what is the correct procedure? 

Here is my procedure if I don't know if there is a roundabout ahead (I am talking about driving solo because we were talking about the driving test) :

I turn off a main road, if I am on one, into a side road - could be a country lane, or a side street in town. Very few minor roads are wide or quiet enough for a three point turn (although industrial estates are possible), so I look  for an opening to reverse into. This could be a deep-set farm gate, rough farm track, or a suburban side street off of a suburban side street. I then reverse into that and then drive forward away, retracing the direction I came, including turning back onto the main road in a normal way.

It is the bit where I reverse into the rough farm track or suburban side street that uses the skill of "reversing round a corner" that I did in my driving test.

No-one here is suggesting reversing down motorway ramps - that's just silly.

21 hours ago, svimes said:

When are they introducing the "find the best parking space and pull in front first so you can still put the shopping in your boot" test?

If they did that then most city centre test centres would have to close as no such spaces exist.