Sign in to follow this  
Leakylunar

Second hand price guide?

Hi thinking of selling our caravan and wandered if there was a price guide anywhere?

Dealers use the Glass guide.

Just got a price on our 2008 caravan and they used the above guide.

Thanks, is it available online?

Just wander into any dealer and look interested in one of their caravans, they will soon give you a value for yours. ;)

• Like 1

Tried app but didn’t work as I have no login details, tried caravanbuyer but was offered stupid money.

thinking my caravan Bailey Seville s4 2018 around £16500-17000 mark inc Isabella awning etc.

cant find any caravans on the market like mine.

These days,unless a private sale, awnings,no matter how new/good seem irrelevant to pricing a total deal....the market is full of second hand ones.

When we bought current 'van there was a large almost new awning in the bed lockers,had been bought for a seasonal pitch but used for a month only.Dealer said, it is in there I don't want it there isn't any extra to pay for it.....leave it in my yard if you don't need it.

We took it and sold it.

geoff

Have you actually asked a dealer for a price yet?? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As I mentioned earlier, just visit a dealer but sound interested In  something on their forecourt.

On or last negotiations with a dealer, he was very forthcoming with information along the lines of....

Part exchange it for £x.

They would likely sell it on fir £y.

Sell privately for around £z.

With the awning and being an Isabella, sell it privately or on the basis that you will be buying another Isabella p/x it.

Have sold 3 immaculate Isabella's, 1 privately and p/x'd 2 and all for good money.

Usually no value leaving it with a p/x as shipbroker has said but sometimes on a private caravan sale.

Edited by Griff
Edit. Paragraph added.

Surely a dealer would only give me a price based on part ex?

im really after a price to sell privately.

5 minutes ago, Leakylunar said:

Surely a dealer would only give me a price based on part ex?

im really after a price to sell privately.

Not necessarily.

As I say if you sound interested in one of his 'vans but are unsure whether to part chop or maybe sell privately and do a cash deal, he will usually indicate a price to you somewhere between the chop price and forecourt price when they resell.

It's in their interest to get you on the hook 🎣 one way or another.

My experience anyway.  

Thanks, I’ll try and get a price this weekend.

Have a look on gumtree, Caravanfinder, and autotrader for similar models being sold.  It will give you a ball park figure at least.

nanamel

Yes going to try that problem is finding one for sale privately.

We’ve said if we can’t get anywhere near a reasonable price we’ll keep for another few years.

I want to tour France/Belgium but O/H said we’d be divorced by the time we got back due to my driving😬 as I’m a very nervous one when towing down unknown roads. In a Campervan she said she would drive as well 🤗.

Be prepared for a part ex value that is way below your expectations on newish van as the depreciation will be horrendous ( i've got the T shirt :D).  The dealer should give you a private sale value if asked, or if not, add £1000 to £1500 on his trade in price to get somewhere near. 

Regarding the campervan, I hired one a couple of years ago and it was quite a different experience if you are used to using a caravan, especially when you have to go shopping  or sightseeing.  Also the one I had (Swift Escape) did not like to go above 60mph so the travel time was much the same as the car and van, and it was very load in the cab from the engine noise.

Yes know about losing money on newer vans as this is our 3rd new van in 3 years!

campervan would be T5/transit custom type but we’ll see prices seem a bit out of my reach😬

Posted (edited)

there are 2 for sale on the cc classified, one for £16000 and one for £18950.  When we sell our 'vans we usually take the VAT off then minus £1000 for each year, at least that gives us a starting point. Glasses guide  price change every 3 months. 

Edited by joanie

Take vat off rrp or the price I paid!

mine is the newer s4 unicorn.

i looked at buying a motorhome last week ,,i have a 2018 unicorn paid 24k for it they offered 16200 loosing £8k in a year was a bit much so said i will wait to see what comes up next year :ph34r: 

Just part chopped our 2008 van costing £20,500 then for just under £7,000 now, 11 years old.

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Just part chopped our 2008 van costing £20,500 then for just under £7,000 now, 11 years old.

That almost matches Joanie’s formula of .....”take off vat and then £1000 a year”.  (£17500+17.5% vat=£20562.....then minus 11x£1000)

23 hours ago, Leakylunar said:

Yes know about losing money on newer vans as this is our 3rd new van in 3 years!

campervan would be T5/transit custom type but we’ll see prices seem a bit out of my reach😬

3rd new van in 3 years! You seem to have a bit of experience in buying and selling  new caravans.  We always use the rrp   when pricing a 'van as what you paid would be a trade in price.  What do you use to calculate your van's trade in  / selling price?

Basically when my wife see’s a caravan she likes we go into the office they give us a price for ours we pay the difference 😬

I’ve stopped taking her to caravan showrooms!!!

our first van was stored at the caravan showroom storage so every time we came home we looked😱.

only last time there offer was terrible so went further afield and saved £2000! 

Sign in to follow this