Hi, can anybody please tell me what the correct tyres should be for an Avondale Avocet 1999 please? 

Have just purchased it and it has incorrect tyres fitted (car tyres) and I don’t have a manual.

Many Thanks. 

Mandy. 

As long as the tyres have the correct Load Index then they should be ok (car tyres or otherwise).

Look at what the max axle load is on your caravans statutory plate and the value of the tyre loads on that axle need to add up to more than the axle max load.

For example if your axle has a max load of 1200 Kg you would need to fit tyres with a load index of 91 or higher (2 x 615 Kg = 1230 Kg).

load-rating-table.png

I believe AVON (or it could be Cooper) tyres may be an exception as they state that their tyres are not suitable for caravans, all the other major brands should be fine.

If the tyres currently fitted are the correct Load Index, you still need to check their condition (very important) and how old they are, if they are 6 years old or more you want to consider changing them regardless of appearance.

Most car tyres will be wrong and actually dangerous at speed on virtually any single axle van. The table provided above is a good starting point, but I suspect that you will soon be given access to a manual with full details.

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

Most car tyres will be wrong and actually dangerous at speed on virtually any single axle van. The table provided above is a good starting point, but I suspect that you will soon be given access to a manual with full details.

Why are car tyres wrong? If the size fits and the Load Index & Speed Rating is ok why are they dangerous? Serious question.

There aren't that many 'caravan specific' tyres out there, mine has commercial van tyres on it but it is carrying a lot of weight (2 tonne on one axle)

9 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Why are car tyres wrong? If the size fits and the Load Index & Speed Rating is ok why are they dangerous? Serious question.

Most car tyres have too low a load index for single axle caravan use. 

I doubt there will be a statutory plate in a 1999 caravan!

There should be a label on the axle case that shows the maximum axle load. Provided the sum of the load index of the two tyres is comfortably above that maximum axle load there should not be an issue.

11 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Most car tyres have too low a load index for single axle caravan use. 

Which is why I made the point about correct Load Index, you mentioned they are dangerous at speed, not sure why?

Posted (edited)

Google found me this:  http://www.avondalecaravans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1999-avondale-brochure-hb.pdf   

It lists the tyres as 175R 13 94N  (profile not given = 80 when you search for replacements).

Back then then the load rating may have been less generously over-specced cf today's caravans?   94N being 670kg x 2 = 1340kg when MTPLM of the caravan is 1250kg?  Others may have a view on what is most suitable.  But a lot will depend on what can be found  in the correct size.

Edited by Rodders53

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

, you mentioned they are dangerous at speed, not sure why?

An overloaded tyre is much more likely to fail at speed than when stationary or driven slowly.

Just now, Stevan said:

An overloaded tyre is much more likely to fail at speed than when stationary or driven slowly.

So we agree then that the critical part is the Load Index :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

So we agree then that the critical part is the Load Index :)

As far as I was concerned we were in agreement from your first post in this thread.

The likelihood of finding an ordinary car tyre with a high enough load index is pretty remote, the correct tyres will more likely be intended for light commercial vehicles with MAM a little over 2.5 tonnes.

27 minutes ago, Stevan said:

As far as I was concerned we were in agreement from your first post in this thread.

The likelihood of finding an ordinary car tyre with a high enough load index is pretty remote, the correct tyres will more likely be intended for light commercial vehicles with MAM a little over 2.5 tonnes.

Most caravans, single or twin axle, were on car tyres until caravan weights increased significantly - so the age/weight of the caravan must be considered before dismissing car tyres as unsuitable.

2 hours ago, Mandy1234 said:

Hi, can anybody please tell me what the correct tyres should be for an Avondale Avocet 1999 please? 

Have just purchased it and it has incorrect tyres fitted (car tyres) and I don’t have a manual.

I'm away in the motorhome at present so I'm unable to check the original tyre specification for you, however you can download an owners handbook for your 1999 Avondale from here.

Gordon.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Most caravans, single or twin axle, were on car tyres until caravan weights increased significantly - so the age/weight of the caravan must be considered before dismissing car tyres as unsuitable.

Just to confirm your point. My late father bought a new 5 berth Sprite Major in 1967, weighing in at 19.6cwt incl. payload [who needed kg in those days?]. I bought a 2008 Gobur Carousel 12/2T 2 berth Folding Caravan in late August last year and this had an MTPLM of 1050kg or 20.67cwt!

BTW, dad's original towcar was a 1964 Vauxhall Victor Estate [910 EDA reg], 1594cc engine with a 3 speed column change ... He didn't want to 'ruin a really nice car' as he said, so he traded it in for a demo Singer Vogue Estate from the garage at which he worked. Big mistake!

The designers fitted a 9 inch clutch to the Singer 1500cc model; an 8 1/4 inch to the 1600 version; and a 7 1/4 clutch to the 1725cc model! Unsurprisingly, every time we took the caravan away for holiday, the blessed clutch failed! Our record for changing the clutch on a sloping Cornish campsite, Home Farm, Crantock. was just under 5 hours. Not bad when the car was propped up on bricks and it was just me and the [mainly his efforts] Old Man to lug the box in and out.

The car went back to Rootes Group on many occasions, all to no avail. The Old Man eventually managed to jiggle an 8 1/4 clutch into the 1725cc set up on the 7th clutch change at 23,500 miles! I remember these details so well because I am totally mechanically inept, and my role in the repair team was to be bawled at in Parade Ground [ex-Army NCO] language, the most choice of which was that I would never make a mechanic as long as my body evacuated its waste content via the orifice that God provided ... When I enquired whether that meant that I had limited potential, I realised that I had made a mistake. He had boxed for his Regiment! But I am still a sarky so and so ... :D

Steve

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

Exactly so.

Tyre load and speed indices are related.  The load is the maximum that can be carried at the rated speed.

A tyre with the correct load index fitted to a caravan will have a speed index of at least N (87 mph) but most will be much higher.  In the UK the maximum speed permitted when towing is 60 mph and this means caravan tyres are operated with a safety margin of at least 10% for the lowest load index possible.