stevew1

Wonderful people in an hour of need

Glad it all worked OK for you stevew1, and thanks for sharing, there are good folks out there and it's great to find them when in need.

• Like 1

Great story and I agree the public can be wonderful  --  I had an incident In France a few years back - nothing as serious as the above - when I had a puncture on the Sorento but was on a dodgy bit of ground so could not risk using the cars jack,  a French guy stopped, weighed up the situation and said he would drive home and collect his trolley jack and some planks to spread the load on the soft ground,  20 minutes late he was back and then proceeded to jack up the car and change the wheel for me  (guess he thought I was too old and infirm) he then refused to even take a ''drink'' and then wrote down the address of an ''honest'' tyre shop !!

• Like 2

I have had the odd opportunity to help strangers in need, a young lad with an expired bus ticket was one example,  I got more pleasure than he did.  We all hope helping others will give us good Karma so it's not entirely selfless.  I'm always amazed at how many drivers will 'let you in' when they get no immediate benefit.  Recent research shows that most dropped wallets are handed in, especially if there's a cute photo of wife or bibbies in sight!

I still believe that most people are decent and kind, especially when they don't know you or pre-judge you.

"you have to go to other peoples' funerals or they won't come to yours"

• Haha 1

Well clearly the wheel nut indicators did not do their job in this case.  Nothing better than checking the torque regularly.  I also had a detachment.  A few years ago,  the subject of another topic.   Despite a recent service and of checking the torque a few hundred miles previous.  For my next van I purchased WSL bolts.  But keep checking nevertheless.  Not found them loose yet.

Pleased that you got so much help.  I was in France, even the recovery people were useless in the extreme.

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Well clearly the wheel nut indicators did not do their job in this case.  Nothing better than checking the torque regularly.  I also had a detachment.  A few years ago,  the subject of another topic.   Despite a recent service and of checking the torque a few hundred miles previous.  For my next van I purchased WSL bolts.  But keep checking nevertheless.  Not found them loose yet.

Pleased that you got so much help.  I was in France, even the recovery people were useless in the extreme.

John

Thanks for that info about the WSL bolts John , I looked back into your posting  in 2015 & they seem like a good solution as well as giving the all important peace of mind . One thing I’d like to ask you , are they multi use not one shot ? .

I am just going out to jack up the van & remove the wheel again , bit safer this time 😄 , I need to take it to the local tyre depot & get it rebalanced as all the balance weight were ripped off in the incident , I’ll get them to give the rim the once over as well as the tyre . I am also going to check the shock absorber mounting as well as the motor mover brackets just to be sure they are ok , anything amiss & it might become an insurance job , if everything is ok I’ll probably refit the wheel arch myself .

62886ECE-4082-4834-9F77-84609920CB0F.jpeg

3EB55BC1-32C1-47C8-BE1E-5EBDF36F82B9.jpeg

WSL bolts here.  Never yet needed adjustment over a number of years.

The one shot nuts are those that hold the brake drum so your WSL bolts are, of course, lifetime.

Posted (edited)

I know how you feel and sympathise.

We to had a similar event while collecting our Sprite caravan from the service center in Preston 18 months ago. I had traveled about 500 yds from the center approaching a roundabout (so traveling slowly) when the nearside wheel came free and the caravan fell onto the mover etc. We considered ourselves lucky in that in another 10 mins and we'd have been on the M6 travelling at 60 mph with potential disastrous results.

Obviously the engineers at the service center had failed to tighten the studs. The service center repaired the van at their cost but it was never the same afterwards and I traded it in for another van last year. It has left me a little neurotic as regards testing the studs which I now do before each outward and return journey and in between sometimes.

I should add that at the time we contacted the technical dept at the cc who were helpful in advising what remedial work they considered necessary in such an event.

Edited by v00114

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

One thing I’d like to ask you , are they multi use not one shot ? .

They are multi use.  But with all bolts they should not be overtightened as this can damage their ‘elastic’ properties.  I have no idea how much more torque would be needed beyond the recommend setting to do that.

Look at their web site for more info.

http://www.wheel-solutions.co.uk/SAS_bolt/SAS_bolt.html

John

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

They are multi use.  But with all bolts they should not be overtightened as this can damage their ‘elastic’ properties.  I have no idea how much more torque would be needed beyond the recommend setting to do that.

Look at their web site for more info.

http://www.wheel-solutions.co.uk/SAS_bolt/SAS_bolt.html

John

Here you are Bolt theory

I wont bore you with our incident, only to say, brand new van, wheel came off on second day in France at Blois and wrote the van off, van repatriated 10 days later to local dealer courtesy of Red Pennant, cc Insurance paid out and a new Coachman was delivered to our dealers in six weeks with the help of Trevor Baxter at Coachman 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant story.  I would search on Facebook for Groups in Scunthorpe, and put your story to them.  Someone who helped you may read your story. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SamD said:

WSL bolts here.  Never yet needed adjustment over a number of years.

The one shot nuts are those that hold the brake drum so your WSL bolts are, of course, lifetime.

Cheers Sam , definitely going to get some , wheel is a write off according to my local tyre guys so I will have to fit the spare , the holes are elongated where the bolts chewed on them. The hub is also on its way out , some threads missing on some of the holes & the shock absorber photo speaks for itself.

6CCF570B-FA68-425E-AF8D-F1103A50399A.jpeg

A0741BCC-677E-48BB-9DE5-4DEAACA0E551.jpeg

9296655A-A26B-41DD-92BC-0F97B87F49DC.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Brilliant story.  I would search on Facebook for Groups in Scunthorpe, and put your story to them.  Someone who helped you may read your story. 

I did put the story on Facebook & asked my sister in law & niece who live in Scunthorpe to share it on their extensive network of friends , hopefully some of those people will be acknowledged , I did offer everyone of them a tenner for a drink on me & not one would accept , lovely people.

3 hours ago, v00114 said:

I know how you feel and sympathise.

We to had a similar event while collecting our Sprite caravan from the service center in Preston 18 months ago. I had traveled about 500 yds from the center approaching a roundabout (so traveling slowly) when the nearside wheel came free and the caravan fell onto the mover etc. We considered ourselves lucky in that in another 10 mins and we'd have been on the M6 travelling at 60 mph with potential disastrous results.

Obviously the engineers at the service center had failed to tighten the studs. The service center repaired the van at their cost but it was never the same afterwards and I traded it in for another van last year. It has left me a little neurotic as regards testing the studs which I now do before each outward and return journey and in between sometimes.

I should add that at the time we contacted the technical dept at the cc who were helpful in advising what remedial work they considered necessary in such an event.

I feel exactly the same as you , very nervous getting home yesterday & worried about going to the dealers for a repair estimate tomorrow , I have been a caravanner for over thirty years & this is the first time anything like this has happened to me other than a puncture.

Managed to get the spare wheel out after a lot of faffing about & found the sidewalls damaged by the carrier , it’s been there since the van was new in Dec 2012 . I went back to the tyre fitters & they agreed with me that it was unsafe , £59.80 for a new one . It is now fitted to the van & the alloy is in the car boot . I shudder to think what I would have done trying to get that out from under the van & fitted , they are certainly not fit for purpose in an emergency , I wouldn’t want to change that wheel on a motorway hard shoulder.

17 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Managed to get the spare wheel out after a lot of faffing about & found the sidewalls damaged by the carrier , it’s been there since the van was new in Dec 2012 . I went back to the tyre fitters & they agreed with me that it was unsafe , £59.80 for a new one . It is now fitted to the van & the alloy is in the car boot . I shudder to think what I would have done trying to get that out from under the van & fitted , they are certainly not fit for purpose in an emergency , I wouldn’t want to change that wheel on a motorway hard shoulder.

I'm pleased to found some helpful souls to suport you after your wheel detachment. Mentioning the spare wheel serves as a timely reminder for people to check what's involved in accessing their spare wheels, car and caravan, at least once per year.

It was stated that the van was resting partially on the spare wheel carrier after the wheel detatchment. I submit that it's hardly fair to criticise the spare wheel carrier as being difficult to access after supporting some of the weight of the caravan. It may have been damaged in the incident. As you say, "It definitely needs a new wheel carrier ..."

I think after looking at the spare tyre carrier that it probably didn’t come into contact with the road  , all the rubbing forces were on the shock absorber mount & roughly half an inch of metal was removed from the pivot point . The marks & rubbing on the tyres were caused over the years using the van  , we’ve done over 20000 miles towing in the UK & Europe  & although even though it was bolted in tightly it must have still moved & rubbed on the carrier , it would certainly not have been able to be used yesterday if I had been able to get it out . I think I will get some foam pipe insulation to cover the metal arms & see how that  fares .

I don’t know why the manufacturers don’t try to mount the tyre under the floor under a lift up hatch , or in the front where the gas bottles usually fit , there must be some answer to the problem, at the moment the tyre carrier method is a bit of a cop out , not fit for purpose .

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 18:56, hawkaye said:

It was stated that the van was resting partially on the spare wheel carrier after the wheel detatchment. I submit that it's hardly fair to criticise the spare wheel carrier as being difficult to access after supporting some of the weight of the caravan.

Have you ever tried getting the spare out of its carrier?

If it is the Alko spare wheel carrier like mine, it is an extremely bad design. It is inaccessible if the puncture is nearside without first jacking, and then you can only unbolt the spare wheel from the carrier by putting your arm through between the wheel and the chassis - it would be chopped off if the jack failed at this point, bearing in mind you could be at the roadside with dodgy ground. Even after unbolting the wheel from the carrier I found not enough room to pull it out from the carrier under the chassis member, and I would need to get right under the van to pull the wheel off the carrier in a forward direction; not something do with just a jack.

Fortunately my first ever puncture was on my drive and I ended up putting the van on proper stands and then also releasing the carrier from the offside (big split pins) and dragging the whole thing out.  I also found it impossible to slide the carrier back in with the weight of the spare on it, despite cleaning and greasing the slides. I now carry the spare inside the van when travelling, and the carrier is in a skip at the local council dump.

My problems were exactly the same as The Caravan Nut describes in this video :-

The Caravan Nut (on Youtube)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I been banging on about the poor design, difficultly in use & potential cause of tyre damage, with the Al-Ko carrier for years.  (A consequence of spending my life in engineering design, no doubt!). My first action, with any new 'van, is to remove it & save 16 Lbs. dead weight as a bonus! It was hailed as a good idea when it first became available, many years ago, but the drawbacks soon became apparent & they've never been addressed.

The spare is of no use whatsoever to me if it's not easily & safely accessible,  or possibly damaged, not to mention filthy. BTW, I don't even consider the Al-Ko jack as either safe  or stable enough for use with a 'van. Both the carrier & the jack have always lived in my shed until sale time.

Mine spare will stay in the 'van until something better comes along. Why it was ever moved from the gas locker is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Why it was ever moved from the gas locker is beyond me.

I have a full sized 15" Alloy spare wheel in my front locker.

This is my spare on the way to be changed , totally unused & totally useless , Maybe we ought to start a campaign to make caravan manufacturers look at the spare issue again .

The rubbing marks can be seen on each side of the tyre where it was in contact with the carrier , they were very soft if pressed , certainly wouldn’t have wanted the weight of my caravan on them .

ECB931CA-924B-413F-A86E-C96A4C72033D.jpeg

If it's been there since Dec 2012 it's coming up to 7 years old (might be older) so time to change it anyway :)

I got rid of my 3 year old spare the other month, one tyre exploded on the motorway, the other had cracks between the profile and it left me with no confidence in the spare (Hankook), got Goodyears now.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

If it's been there since Dec 2012 it's coming up to 7 years old (might be older) so time to change it anyway :)

I got rid of my 3 year old spare the other month, one tyre exploded on the motorway, the other had cracks between the profile and it left me with no confidence in the spare (Hankook), got Goodyears now.

Agree totally , 👍 , trouble is when it’s tucked underneath the van like that you tend to forget that it’s there , until you need it . Luckily I managed to get home slowly on the original alloy but that has been condemned now so I am waiting for the repairs estimate which will allow me to get the insurance claim started . Could be the end of August to get the parts from Lunar so I am told , that’s most of the Summer gone & I have 3 booked trips to cancel .

36 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Could be the end of August to get the parts from Lunar so I am told , that’s most of the Summer gone & I have 3 booked trips to cancel .

That’s bad news, can’t the dealer offer you a caravan whilst your’s is waiting for parts/being repaired? I’m sure my caravan insurance would cover that, my car insurance does and it’s the same insurer.

16 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That’s bad news, can’t the dealer offer you a caravan whilst your’s is waiting for parts/being repaired? I’m sure my caravan insurance would cover that, my car insurance does and it’s the same insurer.

Never thought of that mate , I’ll ask the insurers once I get the repair quote .

6 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

Have you ever tried getting the spare out of its carrier?

If it is the Alko spare wheel carrier like mine, it is an extremely bad design. It is inaccessible if the puncture is nearside without first jacking, and then you can only unbolt the spare wheel from the carrier by putting your arm through between the wheel and the chassis - it would be chopped off if the jack failed at this point, bearing in mind you could be at the roadside with dodgy ground. Even after unbolting the wheel from the carrier I found not enough room to pull it out from the carrier under the chassis member, and I would need to get right under the van to pull the wheel off the carrier in a forward direction; not something do with just a jack.

Fortunately my first ever puncture was on my drive and I ended up putting the van on proper stands and then also releasing the carrier from the offside (big split pins) and dragging the whole thing out.  I also found it impossible to slide the carrier back in with the weight of the spare on it, despite cleaning and greasing the slides. I now carry the spare inside the van when travelling, and the carrier is in a skip at the local council dump.

My problems were exactly the same as The Caravan Nut describes in this video :-

The Caravan Nut (on Youtube)

Exactly the same problem that I had , it took me an hour on my drive & I’m 70+ , wouldn’t want to do that on any roadside  . I’ve still got to put the spare back once the repairs are done .😧😧😧😧