Sign in to follow this  
Deepingposhie

Control panel misbehaving

My powrmover control panel worked perfectly ok until day one of our Brittany holiday. Pushing the two green buttons failed to bring up the lights on the zapper panel. Pushing the 'van in 22 degrees heat no fun! Changed to spare battery no joy and bought a Duracell with no more luck. 

But lo and behold got a green light next day. What joy! This has been the recurring pattern over last 21 days. Sometimes it will light up to work the mover. Sometimes it cannot be coaxed into action. Can overcome by bringing reversing skills into operation but I wish I knew how to sort the problem. Panel is about 7 years old but always reliable. Any advice?

Exact make and model of mover could help someone to advise accurately?  Contacting the manufacturer might be a good idea,   By 'panel' I assume you mean the remote control handset isn't working every time?

Some makes have/supply a long cable that can be used to connect between the remote (batteries removed) and control box.  Does yours? and have you tried that?

Has the handset been dropped or damaged recently?  (Water inside?)  How competent at d-i-y and electrical work are you?

I had a similar problem with my power touch classic. I checked the leasure battery and the remote battery I also checked all of the connections under advice from my dealers, it turned out to be a faulty control panel which was changed by the dealers at no cost and had no problems since. 

Thanks for the replies. I contacted powrtouch who think it might be the membrane or battery clip and have asked me to send in the handset for investigation which I will when I return from France

Now have handset back from Powrtouch with a new membrane fitted for £50 and appears to be functioning as it should do (i.e. it lights up properly). Well done powrtouch.

Yeah but £50?? Is the membrane made of a golden material🤣🤣 still, better than pushing it I guess! 

1 hour ago, Bobajob63 said:

Yeah but £50?? Is the membrane made of a golden material🤣🤣 still, better than pushing it I guess! 

How much does it cost:

1. To receive item from carrier (Royal Mail or other).
  2. Open to obtain paperwork enclosed, and work out where/who to send it on to.  
  3. Pass item on to the correct repair technician.
  4. For him/her to log receipt and condition into workflow system. 
  5. Inspect and test (with suitable kit costing £xxx).
  6. Diagnose issue.  Probably needing to dismantle item. Log result.
  7. Maybe contact customer and advise of charge/obtain authorisation to proceed.
  8. Go to parts stores, select items needed, log parts against the Job ticket.
  9. Remove faulty and replace part(s) needed on item.
  10. Test.  Maybe soak test if needed.
  11. Log repair job as completed.
  12. Pass repaired item on to Dispatch for packing and return to customer.
  13. Pack for return, including arranging a courier/post collection if needed.
  14. Complete paperwork/internal IT logging.

£50 maybe seems a lot but is less than half the price of a replacement handset; and any business has overheads.

Yes, I gasped a little when the repair price was mentioned but had no choice to pay up. The alternative was a new handset which I think I was quoted at well over £100. Or I could have abandoned the mover and just pushed  the 'van every time (with wife's help)!

Sign in to follow this