Sign in to follow this  
RodT

The Best way to get WiFi

Hi folks

This is new to me but I am fed up with Caravan Club wifi. It costs me £50 a year and here at Black Horse Farm Dover it keeps dropping out. They call it a ‘Gold’ site so what is the signal like elsewhere. It should be free anyway! But my question relates to dongles or mobile routers. We both have mobile phones but our joint monthly allowance is a paltry 2.5gb. Can anyone tell me the best way to get a decent wifi signal on most Caravan Club sites for several devices. Is a Trip Mate Titan a benefit as a couple of neighbours have these. Or should we get higher Gb from our smart phone providers. I can’t seem to get. BTFon anywhere on a Club site so I expect that avenue is blocked (especially as there is a phone box (remember those) on this site.) Thanks for reading.

Rod

There have been quite a few threads about this, there are several solutions, including tethering to a phone and MiFi devices. Most work quite well as long as there is a decent signal and most providers offer quite decent packages of data.

Take your pick! 

Edited by Stevan

Welcome Rod!

Number of options but my  favourite is Mifi.  I use Huawei but there are many to choose from.  I also use '3' data sim cards (see below) but really we need to know what your likely usage is i.e. loads of film downloads or just surfing or anything in between.

Amazon link

I have no technology but just  just pop into McDonalds, or a nearby pub, or coffee shop, or a public library for free wi-fI There is probably an app telling you the nearest place. 

We use a Huawei mobile router (£70) and a 12 month, 24gb, EE data sim £40 from Argos.  We also use one annual cc wifi pass.  We use a mix of sites and for our usage the mix sorts us out for 120 nighrs away

Same as SamD above, i use MIFI, using 3 data cards bought online from MYMemory, the only downside is that Black Horse Farm is the only site that you cannot get a signal on MiFi or phone, I was there overnight on Tuesday and a bit frustrated as I really needed it in an emergency

One reason why we have 1CC pass as well as mifi. Many sites the cc is adequate with OH using mifi as I use internet more

Notice that some new tourers on offer have onboard WiFi but not sure exactly how they work.

We both have 3 SIM cards in our phones, £15 a month with 12 Gb data, and you can take advantage of their "Go Binge" deal where Netflix and a few other streaming services can be used as much as you like and don't come out of your monthly allowance.  We tether our iPads or laptop to the phones.  Obviously dependent on getting a decent 3g or 4g signal, but as the OP suggests, our experience of CMC wifi is not great and I don't bother paying for it any more.

2 hours ago, RodT said:

..... We both have mobile phones but our joint monthly allowance is a paltry 2.5gb. Can anyone tell me the best way to get a decent wifi signal on most Caravan Club sites for several devices....

It is all down to the vagaries of network coverage vs. site location, I'm not aware that anyone has mapped these two factors together and put the information in one place. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of MiFi devices and have been using them since they first became available. For me, the sperate data allowance (i.e. away from my phone) was my incentive for separate devices. I think the landscape on data charges for tethering to a mobile is changing all the time so it may well be that tethering to a phone on the right data deal is the easiest thing to do. To cover all locations it is probably necessary to have a couple of different sims to give the best chance of finding a signal   

That is what many people find using 3 or EE. If you want to use a mi-fi on 4G then consistently in my experience O2 is the supplier of choice - certainly the OfCom maps (yes, I know) show O2 as the only system giving full indoor 4G coverage at Black Horse Farm.

We stayed at black horse farm recently, I’m on EE and OH on O2 and we both had excellent 4g.

now in a field just outside Tonbridge Wells and again EE is great but OH needs to stand on a chair outside the awning to get a mere 2 bars on O2😃

all this mifi, go binge or whatever confuses me silly. Somebody somewhere could make a fortune out of a simple device that suits simple people in a simple language or am I showing my age?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

all this mifi, go binge or whatever confuses me silly. Somebody somewhere could make a fortune out of a simple device that suits simple people in a simple language or am I showing my age?

MiFi devices are simple. In essence they are simply a mobile phone stripped of everything except a battery, a data connection and the ability to tether, just needing a data only SIM to work. Some don't even have a battery, requiring plugging in to a 12v source.

2 hours ago, jetA1 said:

It is all down to the vagaries of network coverage vs. site location, I'm not aware that anyone has mapped these two factors together and put the information in one place. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of MiFi devices and have been using them since they first became available. For me, the sperate data allowance (i.e. away from my phone) was my incentive for separate devices. I think the landscape on data charges for tethering to a mobile is changing all the time so it may well be that tethering to a phone on the right data deal is the easiest thing to do. To cover all locations it is probably necessary to have a couple of different sims to give the best chance of finding a signal   

OpenSignal?  https://www.opensignal.com/networks

Prior to our recent trip to Scotland and a stop at Troutbeck head on the return I moved my mobile phone to a sim only deal with Smarty. £25 a month on a 1 month contract. Unlimited calls texts and data with no restrictions.

I was pleased to find that coverage at the CMC campsites at Edinburgh , Bunree and Troutbeck allowed us to stream

films via Netflicks and you tube. and watch BBC I player with only the occasional buffering. 

Smarty use the 3 network.

I did consider Giff Gaff but they throttle your data speed when you exceed 20gb in the month so no good for streaming TV

We used about 30gb over the 10 days so it is a very cost effective way of streaming on your Smart TV and tablets.

The good thing is if you find the service poor you can just cancel with one months notice.

Cheers

Tom

Wow! That is a lot more response than I expected. Thanks to you all. Basically I think for our relatively modest usage of a few hundred Mb a week we had best continue grumpily paying the Caravan Club! 

Rod

get  a Solwise - we use on CMC sites and boosts wifi and allows access by several devices.

On 23/06/2019 at 17:52, RodT said:

Wow! That is a lot more response than I expected. Thanks to you all. Basically I think for our relatively modest usage of a few hundred Mb a week we had best continue grumpily paying the Caravan Club! 

Rod

For that sort of usage I would strongly advise tethering to your phone. Review your data plan with your provider and change your data allowance to 10Gb, go SIM only at the earliest opportunity and you should find a decent deal for under £20 a month.

• I agree completely 1

9 hours ago, BFM said:

For that sort of usage I would strongly advise tethering to your phone. Review your data plan with your provider and change your data allowance to 10Gb, go SIM only at the earliest opportunity and you should find a decent deal for under £20 a month.

Having used a Vodafone dongle that was pretty useless, couldn't be used for Windows 10 on my laptop, couldn't be connected to my tablet or smartphone, I gave up.  They wouldn't refund the money left on it. Since I've had an iPhone, I've had no problems tethering it to my iPad which serves the purpose adequately whilst away. The only issue - which applies to any device - is that you need a decent phone signal, 4G preferably.

Hi All

We stopped using CMC site WiFi over 2 yeras ago, we invested in a £30 ee mini wifi unit and run it with a Sky sim 2Gb per month (which rolls over) which cost us £4.00 per month, We have never had drop out it works everywhere and we have toured most sites East, West & South but don't ever bother with the North way to cold..lol But overall performs really well allows the wife to play her online games and download whatever she needs too, also allows loads of browsing so well worth the £30 squid we paid for it 2 years ago and it looks like since we last used it we have rolled over 12Gb to start using this season without another 2 Gb being added every month bargain when you think how much sites charge you for daily or weekly use, Our advice get your own they are so very easy to setup! Happy Caravaning

• Like 1

Last month, I took out a contract with EE for their mini WiFi.  Probably not the most economical way of doing things, but it suited me. £18pm for 30Gb of data plus I can 'gift' up to another 12Gb from my phone if I want to. Since we are away every month, I think I'll more or less get my money's worth out of it.

Only used it once so perhaps not a fair test but it performed brilliantly, pulling in a much stronger signal than either of our EE phones did.  Ros likes watching catch-up TV, Netflix etc and that was possible with no suggestion of buffering whatsoever. From past experience, we have always got a good phone signal on EE on most of the sites we have been on - Sandringham, last Christmas being the notable exception.

8 minutes ago, richardandros said:

Last month, I took out a contract with EE for their mini WiFi.  Probably not the most economical way of doing things, but it suited me. £18pm for 30Gb of data plus I can 'gift' up to another 12Gb from my phone if I want to. Since we are away every month, I think I'll more or less get my money's worth out of it.

Only used it once so perhaps not a fair test but it performed brilliantly, pulling in a much stronger signal than either of our EE phones did.  Ros likes watching catch-up TV, Netflix etc and that was possible with no suggestion of buffering whatsoever. From past experience, we have always got a good phone signal on EE on most of the sites we have been on - Sandringham, last Christmas being the notable exception.

We have always found EE coverage excellent too.

The exception for us is Clumber Park C&MH club site. But I think for some reason the coverage on all networks is poor to none existent at that particular location.

On 22/06/2019 at 22:46, Tadpole said:

Prior to our recent trip to Scotland and a stop at Troutbeck head on the return I moved my mobile phone to a sim only deal with Smarty. £25 a month on a 1 month contract. Unlimited calls texts and data with no restrictions.

I was pleased to find that coverage at the CMC campsites at Edinburgh , Bunree and Troutbeck allowed us to stream

films via Netflicks and you tube. and watch BBC I player with only the occasional buffering. 

Smarty use the 3 network.

I did consider Giff Gaff but they throttle your data speed when you exceed 20gb in the month so no good for streaming TV

We used about 30gb over the 10 days so it is a very cost effective way of streaming on your Smart TV and tablets.

The good thing is if you find the service poor you can just cancel with one months notice.

Cheers

Tom

hi tom i just ordered one of these unlimited smarty sims ,,to take with me to France ,,,Spain  they just said its restricted to 19gb when roaming ,,but at £20 its still not a bad deal ,,

A quick question, are you and the wife on the same or different networks

if you are on different i would look at uping your allowences as you are then edging your bets on at leat one of you having Mobile Data coverage

You could go to a MiFI device but if the network you contract with  has no coverage where you are then its just a paper weight

We have Virgin mobile with 2Gb data each which can roll over to next one. We rarely use it all, as its mainly for e- mail. We use whatsapp which doesn't come out of our data allowance.

At Black Horse Farm our data worked ok and the tv reception was fine once aerial aligned to one of many masts around!

In France we use site wifi if avaliable, most have it. We don't stream tv or watch it but do have a wallet of dvds if we want to watch a film.

Maybe we are old fashioned but not bothered about tv or being glued to mobiles when on holiday.

We can get news on our tablets on wifi. My french s good so I can buy a paper!

Not so good in other languages!

We like to read so well loaded e books are a definite bonus! No more cupboards full of paperbacks.