Sign in to follow this  
alecsmart

Skoda Kodiaq

I wondered how many on here tow with a Skoda Kodiaq. Thinking of getting a 190 DSG. Looks a great vehicle. Must say I have loved my Santa Fe but need to move on.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks

Martin

I became a Skoda fan several years ago, with a late Felicia, then a couple of Fabias and an Octavia... However, when I came to trade in the Octavia in the days of the government scrappage scheme,  I found a big change of attitude at the dealers.  Skoda originally had used small family type dealers and over the years terminated most of these in favour of large dealership groups.  Well, you would have thought I was in the market for an Aston Martin or Porsche rather than a middle of the road family saloon.  There was no dealer stock, or going to be, everything was build to order with a lead time of 6 months as a minimum, and a "we don't care, take it or leave it" attitude.  As a consequence I bought a SEAT.

Roll forward about 9 months ago and my search for a caravan towing  SUV... SEAT Ateca, and the issue had transferred to SEAT, Skoda were still the same as my previous experience.

The result is I have a Ford Kuga...

5 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

I became a Skoda fan several years ago, with a late Felicia, then a couple of Fabias and an Octavia... However, when I came to trade in the Octavia in the days of the government scrappage scheme,  I found a big change of attitude at the dealers.  Skoda originally had used small family type dealers and over the years terminated most of these in favour of large dealership groups.  Well, you would have thought I was in the market for an Aston Martin or Porsche rather than a middle of the road family saloon.  There was no dealer stock, or going to be, everything was build to order with a lead time of 6 months as a minimum, and a "we don't care, take it or leave it" attitude.  As a consequence I bought a SEAT.

Roll forward about 9 months ago and my search for a caravan towing  SUV... SEAT Ateca, and the issue had transferred to SEAT, Skoda were still the same as my previous experience.

Long time Seat and Skoda fan myself .

The problem was of their own making with demand as buyers realised a budget VW .

Dave

Skoda themselves now think they are close to Audi quality. When VAG took them over Skoda decided they had to match or better the quality of most if not all of the other parts of VAG. Anyone who has or has had a Fabia/Octavia/Superb/Yeti or now has a Karoq or Kodiaq will undoubtedly agree how successful they have been. Brilliant motors (from a former Octavia owner.)

Despite what the OP said about dealers, it seems the public still consider them to be some of the best.

45 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Skoda themselves now think they are close to Audi quality. When VAG took them over Skoda decided they had to match or better the quality of most if not all of the other parts of VAG. Anyone who has or has had a Fabia/Octavia/Superb/Yeti or now has a Karoq or Kodiaq will undoubtedly agree how successful they have been. Brilliant motors (from a former Octavia owner.)

Despite what the OP said about dealers, it seems the public still consider them to be some of the best.

The only way for budget brands to change public perception is to aim high and build premium quality cars - Hyundai/Kia have adopted the same principle.

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Had almost the same experience a year ago!

I could have walked away, with an x demo petrol automatic, with all the bells and whistles added, but it was not what I wanted. Only a build to order waiting list, with my trade-in devaluing week by week!

So I ended up the another Mitsubishi Outlander diesel. An automatic, which is what I wanted!

Edited by David P

Skoda were a budget brand but now they aim so close to VW there must be increasing conflict within VAG. 

The only things I notice when comparing VW and Skoda  is VW tend to have the edge on ride quality and refinement. 

I've had 13 Skoda's and 3 of those pre-VW.  My local dealer Rainworth motors was a family owned dealership that was a converted petrol station with two sheds round the back for servicing.  Now it's a massive modern dealership with cars in the showroom topping £40000. 

It puts the Ford and Mazda dealership next door to shame for presence as well as vehicles.

But the price for that is the cars now come with a hefty price, they are not budget cars, not even budget VAG models.  Prices are very close to VW with the sales pitch toward space, practicality and value for money. 

They need to be careful not to push upwards to far but sales are still buoyant.

Yes I think they have lost that close customer service and I think the prices being asked for some models is too high. But lets be honest most sales now are what lease or pcp deals are available.

12 hours ago, logiclee said:

Skoda were a budget brand but now they aim so close to VW there must be increasing conflict within VAG. 

The only things I notice when comparing VW and Skoda  is VW tend to have the edge on ride quality and refinement. 

I've had 13 Skoda's and 3 of those pre-VW.  My local dealer Rainworth motors was a family owned dealership that was a converted petrol station with two sheds round the back for servicing.  Now it's a massive modern dealership with cars in the showroom topping £40000. 

It puts the Ford and Mazda dealership next door to shame for presence as well as vehicles.

But the price for that is the cars now come with a hefty price, they are not budget cars, not even budget VAG models.  Prices are very close to VW with the sales pitch toward space, practicality and value for money. 

They need to be careful not to push upwards to far but sales are still buoyant.

Yes I think they have lost that close customer service and I think the prices being asked for some models is too high. But lets be honest most sales now are what lease or pcp deals are available.

May I ask where that last line came from? There are a lot of adverts for PCP deals but what evidence is there that they exceed straight sales in quantity - probably outside SE England that is!

11 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

May I ask where that last line came from? There are a lot of adverts for PCP deals but what evidence is there that they exceed straight sales in quantity - probably outside SE England that is!

80% cited as PCP and other forms of finance;

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/new-car-buy-consumers-finance-on-credit-diesel-registrations-drop-income-a8246106.html

I'd agree with Lee especially as deposit contributions tend to be bigger for PCP than HP (in order to make the inflated finance rates more palatable) - everybody I know who buys brand new cars does it on PCP apart from my dad.

Not helping the OP though! My neighbour has a Kodiaq, the 1.4 DSG though, and he absolutely loves it to bits but clearly doesn't tow a caravan! However I'd honestly chose the VW Tiguan unless the absolute space was critical, I am also uncomfortable with how expensive Skoda's are compared to VW.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

I'm sure I've read, many times, that PCP now accounts for something like 70% of all new car deals to private ownership, it is what has kept the industry going for the last few years now. 

I'd guess Motability would account for around 10% of new car"sales". Theres about 60 houses on our road and at least 3 have them, changing every 3 years. Looking at the new cars our family has acquired in recent times, one daughter has a Peugeot on a PCP, oldest son has an Audi company car which is leased, another son has just had a Citroën on an employee salary sacrifice type scheme. Oldest daughter had a VW on a PCP before she moved to Dubai. 

3 hours ago, Woodentop said:

As others have posted above there's lots of info on the web. Mainstream manufacturers typically run 70%-85% PCP/Lease.

Neither PCP or Lease is suitable for me because of my annual mileage so I tend to buy cash or I may have some straight finance if the interest rate is low enough or the incentives are good enough. I've only bought new once using cash but as a high mileage owner the depreciation is too savage. In 2011 I bought a new Passat for £26k  and sold it 5 years later for £5000. :(  Now I tend to buy approved used.

For my wife though we go for whatever deal is good at the time as she's a low mileage driver. Her 1 series BMW was PCP as there was a good dealer contribution and APR was only 1.5%. 

Her Yeti was on Personal Lease. That was only £999 deposit and 23x £99.  That's only £3275 for two years running.  You'd loose more than that with depreciation on a used vehicle. 

So there's never one solution that is best for everyone.  

• Like 1

So.e interesting points raised.  I am thinking of using PCP having never bought a brand new car before. I thought it might be prudent to have flexibility in 3 or 4 years especially in owning a diesel. Dealers have also talked about a contract hire but I am struggling to get my head around not actually owning the car. I realise that is also the case with PCP to an extent. It's a minefield!

Edited by alecsmart
Spelling

Once you're on the PCP merry go round, you're on it for good - or until the spiral can no longer self sustain, and the makers can no longer afford to "buy" new car sales...  At that point you are left with a car that you have to give back and have to start anew to fund another car.  The one good thing about PCP is the used market has lots of good value recent vehicles for us not wedded to new cars.

Edited by Guzzilazz

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Once you're on the PCP merry go round, you're on it for good - or until the spiral can no longer self sustain, and the makers can no longer afford to "buy" new car sales...  At that point you are left with a car that you have to give back and have to start anew to fund another car.  The one good thing about PCP is the used market has lots of good value recent vehicles for us not wedded to new cars.

I bought the Tiguan on PCP in late October last year, about 10 weeks after buying our first caravan. I had a Personal Loan approved and ready to go but PCP was a VW '2+2+2' Special [2 years servicing, MOT and Roadside Assistance], I received the surplus from my trade in as a cash refund, and the balloon repayment + lower APR on the PCP means that the deal is better than the traditional Personal Loan. I just save 1/48 of the balloon payment amount [and gain about 3 pence interest each month ...] so that I have the balance waiting for VAG Finance's settlement invoice.

Deals may not be so attractive next time around, but, at this stage, PCP is a winner.

Steve

17 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I bought the Tiguan on PCP in late October last year, about 10 weeks after buying our first caravan. I had a Personal Loan approved and ready to go but PCP was a VW '2+2+2' Special [2 years servicing, MOT and Roadside Assistance], I received the surplus from my trade in as a cash refund, and the balloon repayment + lower APR on the PCP means that the deal is better than the traditional Personal Loan. I just save 1/48 of the balloon payment amount [and gain about 3 pence interest each month ...] so that I have the balance waiting for VAG Finance's settlement invoice.

Deals may not be so attractive next time around, but, at this stage, PCP is a winner.

Steve

I bought our Passat using the same deal 12 months earlier (VW run this in October and April to shift used stock from the plate change the previous month); despite the low APR offered for used car sales the interest paid is still hideous; if I’d planned to carry on paying this the interest would have been over £2k (£3k down with a GMFV of about £7k and £200pcm), we paid it off which was the plan and have taken the 2+2+2 deal.

If I didn’t have the cash I’d have got a loan over 5 years to pay it off straight away; the interest would have been about £1k despite the longer term.

Look at your finance deal - you we still paying a hill of interest.

On 21/06/2019 at 08:09, alecsmart said:

I wondered how many on here tow with a Skoda Kodiaq. Thinking of getting a 190 DSG. Looks a great vehicle. Must say I have loved my Santa Fe but need to move on.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks

Martin

I have driven (and towed with a few) Kodiaqs, and on the whole they’re pretty good. The last one was the bonkers 240PS VRs version with the electronically produced V8 sound! The 190PS is probably the best option to be honest in terms of performance/economy etc.

However, for such a large vehicle, they do have light noseweights (75-90kg depending on spec ISTR). If you can keep your caravan down to that, you’ll have a good tow car.

Kodiaks also have a 100kg NW limit depending on model.

I test drove a Kodiak and wasn't impressed with the car or the price, my nephew likes his though, I suppose it depends what you want from a car, the wife didn't like it either nor the ride which was making her car sick. 

Regarding buying on PCP deals I bought my Tiguan on such a deal to get the £2K contribution and cheap 2 service deal, difference is I then paid it off the following day at a cost of one days interest of under £5.

Lots of others are doing the same so those figures quoted  earlier are not accurate as they do consider paying of early.

Its a very expensive way of running a car using PCP IMO, I did work out the final amount should I have kept to the repayments and it was a lot more expensive that route, and very tying its not for me.

Surely when one gets to the end of a PCP deal, theres the option to purchase the vehicle for a pre arranged price. So if you've been happy with it, just take out a loan for a couple of years and own the car. There's a school of thought, though that many people don't want a vehicle that's outside the warranty period though, because of fears of failures of modern technology. The powered roofs of convertibles and modern infotainment screens were cited as examples. Daughters Peugeot PCP runs out at the end of the year. I'll be interested to see what road she goes down. 

Went back to look at a Sorento today. (GT Line) Seems a better deal financially with 2.9% on a 3 year PCP.  Together with a more competitive price and the 7 year warranty  it looks like it might be the one. Any further opinions? 

Had a bit of a look round myself last year and came to a similar conclusion,that for us at least, the Sorento would make more sense than the Kodiaq. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

There's a school of thought, though that many people don't want a vehicle that's outside the warranty period though, 

More people are thinking that way.

But if you know you are not going to keep the car then PCH maybe cheaper than PCP.  Just depends what deals are available at the time.

Either way you need to ensure you keep the car in very good condition because the BCA/BVLA guidelines are quite strict and the costs can add up.

One thread I've been following on another forum recently had an owner of a Octavia who has treated it as "It's just a lease car" . He now finds himself having to pay for four wheel refurbs, rear bumper respray, two doors to respray, some dent repairs and interior trim repairs. A sizable bill.

For someone like me who keeps my cars in good condition and gets any scrapes or dings repaired instantly I've never had an issue handing the car back. 

Lee

My last company car was a Skoda Superb Estate which was a fabulous towcar for our Lunar Clubman 520/4 and then Lexon 570. As I was going to buy my next car, I was waiting for the Kodiaq to come into showroom. As a long standing customer of Alex Lawrie Skoda dealers in Liverpool( fantastic service by the way) I was given a test drive on the first one to arrive on site. I was very disappointed in the driving position the information cluster, and the general feel of the car, cornering the car rolled and excelerating away at lights and junctions was a tad sluggish, and at the time Skoda hadn't announced nose weight limits. In the end bought a Volvo XC60 D5. Fantastic solo drive and as a towcar. PCP is out for me as I still drive over 20,000 mile a year even now part time.