Jump to content
Griff

Water ingress warranty durations

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What sort of water ingress warranty periods are manufacturers offering these days.

 

Just starting to look around at new caravans.

Edited by Griff
Typo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ten years is par for the course, but it is not quite that simple!

It is usually limited to "permanently sealed joints", so does not cover cracked end panels or failed window seals etc.

It has very strict servicing/damp test requirements.

There are restrictions on transfer to new owners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff said:

What sort of water ingress warranty periods are manufacturers offering these days.

 

Just starting to look around at new caravans.

The 10 year water ingress is a marketing ploy.  As mentioned it only covers permanently sealed joints so no cover around windows, lockers, doors etc.  You just take a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The 10 year water ingress is a marketing ploy.  As mentioned it only covers permanently sealed joints so no cover around windows, lockers, doors etc.  You just take a chance.

 

Still, our current caravan had a leak from a permanently sealed joint after 7 years on a 5 year warranty and cost me £2k to have it fixed so better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You get a "lifetime" warranty on Swift's new Smart 3 vans (Elegance) ! first owner only mind.

 

25 years in fact = lifetime when you read the T&C's.

 

46 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The 10 year water ingress is a marketing ploy.  As mentioned it only covers permanently sealed joints so no cover around windows, lockers, doors etc.  You just take a chance.

Its a damm good marketing ploy if thats what you think it is, after all the quality issues many encounter are covered by this ploy (in many cases) including things like deamination of panels (which isn't as uncommon as we'd like to think). The warranty in my opinion and experience is comprehensive and invaluable and I encourage everyone to maintain it. 

 

The only irritating part IMO is the fact it's not national and dealers turn lots of people away when they try and claim but thats a completely different issue.

Edited by MartinJB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed the 25 years with Bessacarrs (made by swift) Martinjb.

 

Original purchaser only, suppose they are on a safe bet at the higher end of years as most owners will have changed them.

 

Still better than 10 years for those who might not change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff said:

Noticed the 25 years with Bessacarrs (made by swift) Martinjb.

 

Original purchaser only, suppose they are on a safe bet at the higher end of years as most owners will have changed them.

 

Still better than 10 years for those who might not change.

Yeah Bessaccar based on Elegance with more bells and whistles of course.

Wonder if they'd last 25 years (did I say that out loud lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Griff said:

Noticed the 25 years with Bessacarrs (made by swift) Martinjb.

 

Original purchaser only, suppose they are on a safe bet at the higher end of years as most owners will have changed them.

 

Still better than 10 years for those who might not change.

Just looked on the Couplands  ( who own the Bessacarr brand now and market the vans ) website and new models are only quoting 3 years warranty. Where did you see the 25 year figure ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Just looked on the Couplands  ( who own the Bessacarr brand now and market the vans ) website and new models are only quoting 3 years warranty. Where did you see the 25 year figure ??

Off their website, it is there in the blurb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Griff said:

Off their website, it is there in the blurb.

Found it Griff - wonder why it is not more prominently displayed.  I also wonder why the warranty is not transferable if you you want to sell the van. That would be a good marketing tool !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

Found it Griff - wonder why it is not more prominently displayed.  I also wonder why the warranty is not transferable if you you want to sell the van. That would be a good marketing tool !! 

It's not transferable because they don't really want to pay for too many claims!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to consider is that very little wood is used in the construction of a modern caravan EXCEPT of course the floor, which, in the case of Bailey, is plywood, and that plywood has next to no protection other than a quick coat of black EMULSION paint applied just to the underneath. Amazing isn’t it? 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The other thing to consider is that very little wood is used in the construction of a modern caravan EXCEPT of course the floor, which, in the case of Bailey, is plywood, and that plywood has next to no protection other than a quick coat of black EMULSION paint applied just to the underneath. Amazing isn’t it? 

 

 

Not sure what else they would use! It is vital that wood used in an outdoor context, unless it is tick, heavy, expensive hardwood such as teak, is either total protected from water or is allowed to breath. An oil based paint, or worse still, bitumen based (the intuitive option!) would only serve to trap moisture in and promote  quicker rotting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bailey warranty is a standard six years with an option to buy a further four years.

 

Servicing rules apply and warranty is transferable for a fee providing servicing criteria have been met.

 

You can also increase the warranty from three to six years on some of the fitted items.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MartinJB said:

You get a "lifetime" warranty on Swift's new Smart 3 vans (Elegance) ! first owner only mind.

 

25 years in fact = lifetime when you read the T&C's.

 

Its a damm good marketing ploy if thats what you think it is, after all the quality issues many encounter are covered by this ploy (in many cases) including things like deamination of panels (which isn't as uncommon as we'd like to think). The warranty in my opinion and experience is comprehensive and invaluable and I encourage everyone to maintain it. 

 

The only irritating part IMO is the fact it's not national and dealers turn lots of people away when they try and claim but thats a completely different issue.

Again it is only a marketing ploy and applies only to permanently sealed joints and not leaks around windows, door, skylights etc.

The Body Shell Warranty and Extended Body Shell Warranty cover any defect with the panels and seams of the caravan. This includes body leaks, delamination of panels or floor, water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

The Lifetime Water Ingress Warranty cover water ingress through permanently sealed seam joints on Swift Elegance and Elegance Grande based products from 2019 model year.

However by the same token Swift do often a 3 year warranty on body panels unlike other brands which only offered a 1 year warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

However by the same token Swift do often a 3 year warranty on body panels unlike other brands which only offered a 1 year warranty.

 

Looks like Bessacarr offer even longer?

 

https://www.bessacarrcaravan.co.uk/warranty

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Griff said:

 

Looks like Bessacarr offer even longer?

 

https://www.bessacarrcaravan.co.uk/warranty

 

 

Seems that the Bessacarr warranty is shorter than the one for the Swift caravans as on the Swift site it says 3 years?

Wall and Roof GRP sheeting material: after 24 months from date of purchase only.

 

Here is the get out clause used by most manufacturers and seems to be standard in all brands and not just caravans as we found out recently i.e. TomTom. 

Replacement of parts which have reached the end of their effective working life because of age and/or usage.

 

The effective working life could be days, weeks, months or just a year or two as the manufacturer makes the decision on the working life.

Unfortunately we have no choice in many cases and have to accept it.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are seeing warranty issues at the moment with axles .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Seems that the Bessacarr warranty is shorter than the one for the Swift caravans as on the Swift site it says 3 years?

 

Bessacarr also says 3 years where I am looking.

 

Warranties, Terms and Conditions look identical for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Griff said:

 

Bessacarr also says 3 years where I am looking.

 

Warranties, Terms and Conditions look identical for both.

It will just be Couplands not updating the site properly, its built with SMART 3 and should have the lifetime warranty - it states it on this site here, search "lifetime" and its under the SMART 3 blurb under exterior features

https://www.bessacarrcaravan.co.uk/bessacarr580

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T&C say primarily only if used in the UK ?  How's that work I wonder .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Duplicated post, removed it.

Edited by Griff
Duplication

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

T&C say primarily only if used in the UK ?  How's that work I wonder .

 

 

Dave

It's a long standing condition on Swift warranties that the caravan is kept/stored in the UK. It isn't intended to affect normal holiday use outside the UK as long as it is primarily kept here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

It's a long standing condition on Swift warranties that the caravan is kept/stored in the UK. It isn't intended to affect normal holiday use outside the UK as long as it is primarily kept here.

 

How do they know where it is primarily kept ? What difference does it make or are they saying it should not go outside ?

 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to the “Permanently sealed joint” situation................

 

 Surely, by definition,  a window or door frame is a “permanent fitting”  (the same as a roof or sidewall is) so must, by definition, have a “permanently sealed joint” when constructed. It’s certainly not meant to ever be removed is it? 

 

Might be an an interesting argument to use should anyone ever have an issue with water ingress through such a joint. 

 

Andy

9 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

 

How do they know where it is primarily kept ? 

 

Dave

 

They dont, but it’s another thing that’s impossible to prove and gives them a “get out’ clause the same as the “It’s been caused by overloading” excuse for axle failures. Very difficult to prove a negative.

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...