Sign in to follow this  
sceptic

BCA 20 Amp battery charger failure?

Arrived home after 4 weeks away.  Caravan behaved perfectly, however, I managed to scrape the side against a hedge!

Went into the caravan today and none of the 12v options were available, 240v fine.

Checked the fuses on the BCA 20Amp device, all were intact.  As far as I'm aware there is no reset button.

Has anyone had a similar experience? It looks like a replacement is in order (£130 is the best price I can get), has anyone done this themselves?  I can't believe it would be too difficult, famous last words for me, as I am anticipating a like for like swap.

I think I am right in saying that the charger charges the battery which then supplies the 12V. So it may not be the charger.

There is a 12V inline fuse hidden somewhere between the positive terminal on the battery and the charger/leccy box. Find it and check it. Often they are well hidden.

Think you would be paying about £90 if you shop around.   Try Internet search and Ebay or your local caravan shop.

Sold under other names such as PLS and Powerpart.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I think I am right in saying that the charger charges the battery which then supplies the 12V. So it may not be the charger.

BCA unit is a Charger-PSU (Power Supply Unit) so it does provide 12V power.  The battery smooths the supply and supplements the current.

OP needs to use a meter and start a methodical check of the components.

A possible is failure of the master switch (especially if it remote controls a relay of some sort) to energise the 12V circuits.

Ditto a stuck habitation relay would cut the caravan battery/PSU from feeding anything (if stuck thinking the car is attached).

Does battery produce 12V (ideally 12.7V-ish meaning it is charged)?  

When mains is on does that rise to 13.6V (or a bit more) to prove the PSU-charger is working?

EDIT:  If all else fails a mobile/caravan electrical technician will be needed to fault-find / diagnose.

Edited by Rodders53

Thanks for the contributions.  The BCA unit seems prone to failure from what I've read.  I've found a  number of postings similar to mine and replacement seems the way to go.  Cheapest price is £95 for a Powerpart unit which David 38 says is the same.

30 minutes ago, sceptic said:

Thanks for the contributions.  The BCA unit seems prone to failure from what I've read.  I've found a  number of postings similar to mine and replacement seems the way to go.  Cheapest price is £95 for a Powerpart unit which David 38 says is the same.

have you proved it to be faulty?

macafee2

Hi there

I have power going into the unit and nothing coming out the other side.  Hence I've drawn the conclusion that it must be faulty.  I did read a post elsewhere where someone had found that Powerpart would repair the unit, however, taking repair and postage costs into account it wasn't worthwhile.

If you remove the unit completely and take the case lid off (if you can) there should be a small output fuse - usually 20x5mm rated 25A or similar - that may have blown.

I assume that when you are testing it for output volts you do have the output disconnected? If there is a fault in the caravan system putting a short circuit on the PSU before the fuses it will shut the thing down instantly. The internal fuse is about protecting the cable.

Thanks for the info.