aedwar

Honda CR-V as a Tow car

Welcome any thoughts on the Honda CR-V as a tow car.  My Mondeo has given good service for ten years but its time to go.

Why Honda, the local dealer ? garage gives good service to our Honda Jazz so, start there first.

Any thoughts on model, year, petrol versus diesel, would be helpful. Looking at one owner a couple of years with lowish mileage though miles are less relevant to diesels.

Looking forward to hearing views.

I used to have a 2011, 2.2 Diesel CRV, it happily towed a 1800 Kg caravan. Had it from new, ran it for 4 years, no faults at all.

We changed from a 2.0 litre Nissan X-trail (170bhp) to a 1.6 Honda CRV (160 bhp) 3 years ago, and find the caravan-pulling power about the same with a 1500kg caravan.

No sway at all when fast coaches etc overtake on motorways.

That practical caravan review is pretty fair - of course they are more critical than I am about towing dynamics - I find it very good. Their fuel consumption results for towing and solo match our experience.

Ours is the 4WD variant - apparently the 4WD always works when pulling away, then if nothing slips it becomes front wheel drive.

Little things - that flat floor between front and back seats is really useful for shopping bags, awning poles etc.  And the rear seats are so easy to fold down.

I have a 1.6(160bhp) and It pull our 1300kg Caravan with ease, very stable and relaxing to drive. Only slight negative it can become a bit bouncy on undulating roads compare to the civic we also tow with. Guess thats the difference between an car and a SUV. 

I have a 2014 2.2 diesel CRV & it tows my Bailey 534 very well. Had a Zafira Tourer 2.0 previously & although the Zafira had more power there really is no comparison,  the CRV is heavier & far, far more stable, never left wanting for power, Zafira had the "tail wagging the dog" feel to it. The trip computer showed 29mpg recently towing in France(mainly motorway). Also lovely to drive solo.

I'm considering fitting stiffer rear springs to our 2015 crv, where I live we don't have smooth flat motorways. Caravan is a Sterling eccles moonstone. 

Had mine 5 years and towed all over uk doing thousands of miles. No problems yet. I was going to upgrade to a newer CRV but since this runs well , why fix it if its not broke. I get around 30 mpg towing and still like driving it after all this time. It gets my vote.

Posted (edited)

I had a 2010 2.2 diesel auto for 5 years and it towed my Coachman Amara 520/4 without problem  ( 1475kgs), tended to hunt between 4th and 5th (5 speed torque converter box). Lower towing limit for auto (1500kgs v 2000 kgs for manual) MPG aroung 25 when towing

Edited by terve

We have a 2.2,  2014 diesel CRV (series 4) and tow 1800kg with ease!

As has been said, the manual tows up to 2000kg and the auto is limited to 1500kg.

The intelligent 4 wheel drive as described by BryanS is excellent.

I fitted Grayston spring assistors as the rear suspension was a little soft.

Excellent car!