ChrisnLen

Window Twirly Knob

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I haven't got the hang of all the wizardry that goes with it.  This question may have been asked before, but we have a newly acquired 1990 Elddis Whirlwind.  A cracking little caravan which suits us oldies down to the ground.  We are not new to caravanning, but it's been a fair few years since we've done it.  Anyway, my question is to do with the twirly knobs on the windows.  All but two are sheared.  Now I know you can get new knobs online, but my question is how do they fit on.  I haven't yet crossed the barrier of unscrewing the whole window stay, and don't want to have to do it twice just to see how it might work, I would rather have some sage advice on how to go about taking the old knob off and putting the new one on.  The stays are the sort that have the rubber toggle fitment at the end and the screws holding the top of the stay on have a pyramid kind of set up at the top.  Any information would be gratefully received as I would prefer to keep the old stays with their toggle than by new stays with lever handles and the ensuing new fitments.  Many many thanks. 

Firstly, there should be no need to remove the window to fit any of the catches shown below.image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

If you have one of the styles above it should be pretty clear how they're fitted but if you have one of the lever styles below, the fixing screws are probably covered with a trim piece, and sometimes the catch is attached to the end of the window stay as shown.

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

A third style is the over-centre catch but again they're just screwed in place.

I hope this is some help,

Gordon.

Gordon,

Thank you so much for your reply, but I really haven't described what I meant at all well.  I meant the knob that is used to keep the window open.  It's in the picture of the whole stay.  It sits on the tube itself and you turn it on both stays to hold the window open.  Ours are sheared and inside on the piece that stays on the tube is a nut, the knob bit comprises the screw bolt.  I do hope this makes more sense.  I'm sorry to say, I just don't know how to send any pictures but I know amazon and ebay and a whole raft of caravan companies sell them in pairs for up to £12 but there is no information on how to get the old ones off and the new ones on.  Hope this makes more sense.  Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Christine and Len

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ChrisnLen said:

there is no information on how to get the old ones off and the new ones on.

If yours are the same as those shown in the 7th picture Gordon has put up, removal is like this.   Open the window so that it is at 60-ish degrees to the side of the van.   The top of the window stay is attached to the van's side by screws.   Remove them.   The bottom is attached to a permanent fixture on the window.   To separate the handle from the fixture, take a hammer and a piece of wood.   The wood should be similar to a 6" wooden ruler but about twice as thick.   Place the end of the wood on the underside of the handle - where I've drawn the red line on the picture.   Give the end of the wood a sharp smack with the hammer and the handle will remove from the dove-tail joint.    It would be helpful to have someone holding the window.

IMG_20190620_101235.jpg.ce195bf81752bb6a5bb3d76dab9db36f.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Posted (edited)

In addition to the above post and picture, these may be of interest to you.   They are a replacement just for the tightening screw.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-window-stay-lock-repair-Black/251610247471?hash=item3a9523b12f:g:zhQAAOSw7R9cSZss

To change new for old, a roll pin needs to be removed.   The new knob comes with a new pin.

Edited by Jaydug

Thanks for adding the details of how to slide the stay handle away from the window Jaydug

Gordon.

Brilliant, thank you so much Jaydug.  You have given wonderfully clear instructions on what had me scratching my head for quite some while.  Thank you.  I'll now give it a go and thank you to Gordon too for coming back and having another look at my post.  I will let you know how I got on. 

Christine and Len