Site Near Dortmund

Hi.

I'm looking for recommendations for a site near Dortmund (close to A2 in the area) as a 1 night stopover that will take a TA van and is OK with dogs.

I've contacted Haard Camping but they haven't got back to me yet so I need to start looking at other options now.

http://www.haard-camping.de/

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

I lived in Dortmund 1989-1994, happy days!!

Where are you heading to?

What about this one........................ https://www.camping-hohensyburg.de/

Dogs cost 3€ extra

If you travel  little further into the Sauerland, you'll find many more sites.

Just looked at that on Google maps, it's south of Dortmund, not really on your route.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Thanks, I don't mind a little bit of travel away from the Autobahn.

I'm heading to Brunswick and this looks to be about half way.

11 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

Thanks, I don't mind a little bit of travel away from the Autobahn.

I'm heading to Brunswick and this looks to be about half way.

You won't see any signs for Brunswick, follow signs for Braunschweig and you'll be fine ;)

Are you travelling from Rotterdam or Calais?

Thanks. I know it's Braunschweig - My daughter has friends from her German exchange in the area and we are going to visit.

Coming from Calais.

If you're travelling from Calais I can recommend this place: http://www.campingplatzgraskamp.de/

Not as far as Dortmund, its just over the Dutch/German border near the old RAF Bruggen and only 20 minutes from my house. I cycle past it regularly and sometimes use the toilets, it looks very nice.

Towing a caravan it's about 4 1/2 hours from Calais and probably another 6 to Braunschweig.

I drove through Braunschweig city centre in the late 80's in a Tank, I don't think that's allowed anymore :D

Cheers.

Looks quite a pleasant place.

6 hours on the second leg isn't too bad.

I suspect that tanks are no longer allowed as well - Something to do with low emissions I guess.

I've stayed outside of Eindhoven when I was about 13 - There was a strange campsite there but I can't remember what it was called.

We had come to visit my uncle who lived in Venlo and worked over the border for Croda

I remember my Dad buying some CB type walkie-talkies and smuggling them back to the UK - CB wasn't legal in the UK then.

22 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

I've stayed outside of Eindhoven when I was about 13

De Paal ?

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

De Paal ?

Could be. 

Layout feels familiar, although it was quite a bit more basic. 

I lived in Dortmund (BFPO 20) from  1975  - 1987 and would have to agree that Hohensyburg would be the closest site to Dortmund although there a few  further along the Autobahn not far from Soest.

A site I have used a few times  Is Heide Camp just up the road from Bruggen just over the border from Roermond. The site is in the old BAOR camp of Bracht and there are still traces of its military use, the hard standing area is the old parade ground.

Weinsberg Caraone 480EU
Skoda Yeti L&C Outdoor 150 Diesel 4x4

1 hour ago, rcowen said:

I lived in Dortmund (BFPO 20) from  1975  - 1987 and would have to agree that Hohensyburg would be the closest site to Dortmund although there a few  further along the Autobahn not far from Soest.

A site I have used a few times  Is Heide Camp just up the road from Bruggen just over the border from Roermond. The site is in the old BAOR camp of Bracht and there are still traces of its military use, the hard standing area is the old parade ground.

I‘m guessing by your Welsh flag you were with 22 Air Defence Regiment? That was my first overseas posting (REME), on Napier Barracks which is now a Posh housing estate and Borussia Dortmund’s training ground.

Happy Times.

Good guess Borussia 1900.

I was employed by the MOD as a teacher at Cornwall School in Dortmund (now the German Europa Schule).

Fond memories of Napier Barracks where I used to store my caravan.  I knew  a Martin Jordan who was in REME and seemed to avoid postings whilst he serviced and looked after his CO's Morgan! The former barracks is now where Borussia Dortmund have their training ground and the only thing that was retained when the barracks were handed back was the golf course.

Weinsberg Caraone 480EU
Skoda Yeti L&C Outdoor 150 Diesel 4x4

2 minutes ago, rcowen said:

I was employed by the MOD as a teacher at Cornwall School in Dortmund (now the German Europa Schule).

Fond memories of Napier Barracks where I used to store my caravan.  I knew  a Martin Jordan who was in REME and seemed to avoid postings whilst he serviced and looked after his CO's Morgan! The former barracks is now where Borussia Dortmund have their training ground and the only thing that was retained when the barracks were handed back was the golf course.

I went there last year for a look about, apart from St Barbara’s golf course and 1 former Rapier training dome you’d never know the Brits were there for 50 years. I found it quite sad. 

40 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I went there last year for a look about, apart from St Barbara’s golf course and 1 former Rapier training dome you’d never know the Brits were there for 50 years. I found it quite sad. 

Just beyond the guardroom - I worked in there when it was a darn bit tidier!

image.png.5709a4d3e7a324f2146940f4d83c00df.png

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

8 hours ago, SamD said:

Just beyond the guardroom - I worked in there when it was a darn bit tidier!

image.png.5709a4d3e7a324f2146940f4d83c00df.png

When I first got there I lived in that building for 3 months, top floor, far right.

We are thinking of visiting Holland and our old RAFG haunts later in the year. Might try the site at Bracht. We found a couple of sites in ACSI book near to Roermond and Venlo too.

Fond memories of going to Roermond and Monchengladbach from my tour at Wildenrath. Venlo and Nijmegen favourites from Laarbruch!

We could fly into Laarbruch as was, Weeze airport now!

Might pop to Rheindahlen see what is left!

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Tucson Hybrid+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

2 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

We are thinking of visiting Holland and our old RAFG haunts later in the year. Might try the site at Bracht. We found a couple of sites in ACSI book near to Roermond and Venlo too.

Fond memories of going to Roermond and Monchengladbach from my tour at Wildenrath. Venlo and Nijmegen favourites from Laarbruch!

We could fly into Laarbruch as was, Weeze airport now!

Might pop to Rheindahlen see what is left!

We’re on De Schatberg until Sunday, only 50 Km from MG and 10 minutes from Venlo, nice Site to explore all those places from.

Got a pitch with full facilities including private shower, toilet, kitchen, fridge, dishwasher......... I don’t do roughing it.

DEEE488C-DB15-4CAA-B7F6-9168DC9AEB2B.jpeg

23 hours ago, rcowen said:

By heck, it's a small world. My Dad was based in Soest with the AAC and I went to school at Cornwall until 1985. Decided Army life wasn't for me, saw the light and joined the RAF at Gutersloh. Two subsequent tours with RAFG at Wildenrath and Bruggen. Still in the mob!