David 38

Tyre sun protection

One of my tyres is exposed all day to the sun when it shines :-) and I wish to protect it from damage do you and how?

My thoughts are to use black PVC sheet if I decide on this what type of seller do I need to go to to buy a small amount?

I roughly place a black garden waste rubbish bag over mine and gather it at the bottom of the tyre and tie string round it.  If you use plastic sheet then what about some white upvc or similar? 

I have a recollection of reading that covering tyres with plastic is not a good idea because it generates heat, and the advice was to use a sheet of plywood or similar which allows the air to flow. 

John

• Like 2

Isn’t the answer just simply to purchase the covers made for Motorhomes?  That’s what I use.

3 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Isn’t the answer just simply to purchase the covers made for Motorhomes?  That’s what I use.

What are they like, please?

Years ago. plywood covers were commonplace, but that was before people became aware of date stamps and the recommendation to change every 5 years. They expected tyres to last 10 years or more so needed to protect them.

Nowadays, the majority of people who care enough to do something replace at 5 years anyway, so less need to protect. Only a relative few bother to protect them.

• Like 1

Yes but as mine is a new caravan five year change if I do it then will be in 3 years so thinking of trying to get the best.

• Confused 1

Unless one is pitching the caravan for weeks on end I can't quite see the point as one normally doesn't do the same for the tyres on the towcar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Unless one is pitching the caravan for weeks on end I can't quite see the point as one normally doesn't do the same for the tyres on the towcar.

Good point, but typically, on an average mileage car the tyres will wear out before they perish, but seldom do caravan tyres suffer any significant wear.

6 minutes ago, Lutz said:

In my case I'm concerned about when not away but parked on my property.

Posted (edited)

rather than a  board painted black (which absorbs heat) placed in front of the wheel, how about a white board which reflects heat better...also after a couple of years rotate tyres?

Edited by Les666
  • Like 2

UV degradation of tyres is the least of your worries ;) Think about the paintwork, plastic windows and handles, sealants, ......... 

There are dozens of makers of plastics covers for the wheels in a range of qualities and colours though (£5-15 each wheel seems to be the price range). 

Bing and other search engines are available to find the products.

• Like 1

I bought these last August when we bought the caravan, and bought a matching tow hitch cover at the same time. The covers are sitting on the van at present after over 7 weeks in France where the temperature in the parking area is over 32 degrees today. No fading evident and the tyres are protected. I purchased a tailor made version in 2017 for our trailer tent tyres that had perished in about 10 months and the new tyres [sitting in the back garden in France in a slightly cooler 30 degrees] are still as good as new.

https://bags4everything.co.uk/product-category/uv-pvc/parked-wheel-covers/

Steve

Posted (edited)

eBay sells pvc wheel covers but I use a piece of board about 5x3 that I just put in front of the tyres on the south facing side while on my drive .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

1 hour ago, Les666 said:

..also after a couple of years rotate tyres?

I thought it was poor practice to rotate radial tyres across a single axle?

It means that the tyre is rotating in the opposite direction to its norm.

Unless we remove the tyre from the rim and swap them round that way??

22 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

It means that the tyre is rotating in the opposite direction to its norm.

Unless we remove the tyre from the rim and swap them round that way??

There are basically 3 types of tyre treads, asymmetrical (these will have 'OUTSIDE' written on them), Directional (these will have 'ROTATION' written on them, usually winter tyres are directional) and Non-Directional.

Caravan tyres are usually Non-Directional and you can swap them about however you want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlwynMike said:

:blink:I read the 'rotate' to mean literally move the wheel thro' nn degrees to minimise flat spots. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I seem to recall a suggestion to use hessian sacking but as mentioned, not a plastic bag

macafee2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David 38 said:

What are they like, please?

David - Shiny silver which reflects the rays away, and part elasticated to ensure you can fit them round the tyre and they stay on position.  I use mine on either the car or caravan, whichever is necessary. At the moment they are on the car, at the last site I was on they were on just one of the caravan wheels.  HTH 

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

Years ago. plywood covers were commonplace, but that was before people became aware of date stamps and the recommendation to change every 5 years. They expected tyres to last 10 years or more so needed to protect them.

Nowadays, the majority of people who care enough to do something replace at 5 years anyway, so less need to protect. Only a relative few bother to protect them.

Some people replace at 5 years, but many don't. There is no agreed standard or even a commonly accepted recommendation. Those with an interest in selling tyres will of coarse advise replacement as often as possible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

Years ago [people] expected tyres to last 10 years or more so needed to protect them.

Nowadays, the majority of people who care enough to do something replace at 5 years anyway, so less need to protect.

Whether 5 years or 10 years, a tyre will be in better condition if it has been protected from UV rays.

• Like 1

I picked up some of the wheel covers made by one of the caravan cover companies do the job well

So I assume everyone here advocating tyre covers puts them on their car when parked outside?

Cars are in use constantly and not parked up for weeks between trips.

Anyway car tyre thread depth wears out way before a caravan at 2 or 3 years old.