It's not hidden.   You just don't see it till you're past it.:D

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Still is for unbraked trailers.

Where does it state that?  https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

53 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Thought they had limiters?

A speed limiter must be fitted on:

• vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats, eg buses, minibuses, coaches, stretch limousines
  • goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes

White van man is 3.5 tonnes or less and the limiters fitted to vehicles that require them are set at dual carriageway/motorway limits.

Edited by Legal Eagle

6 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Where does it state that?  https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

A speed limiter must be fitted on:

• vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats, eg buses, minibuses, coaches, stretch limousines
  • goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes

White van man is 3.5 tonnes or less and the limiters fitted to vehicles that require them are set at dual carriageway/motorway limits.

Limiters can be set at whatever speed the owner requires providing it doesn't exceed any maximum speed limit for the type of vehicle,  Many trucks are limited to less than 56mph for safety and/or economy reasons.

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Thought they had not to be hidden?

Just to kill the myths :rolleyes:

no speed camera signs required - do not need to be yellow - can be placed wherever the operator decides

48 minutes ago, beejay said:

Limiters can be set at whatever speed the owner requires providing it doesn't exceed any maximum speed limit for the type of vehicle,  Many trucks are limited to less than 56mph for safety and/or economy reasons.

Yes, I know. I was referring to the statutory maximum.

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Thought they had limiters?

Only over 3.5 ton, my transit is not restricted by limiter.

21 hours ago, Jaydug said:

It's not hidden.   You just don't see it till you're past it.:D

In Lincolnshire they have started replacing the old speed cameras that have a flash and white lines across the road with new digital ones on the end of a long pole (still painted yellow but hard to see amongst the trees in places and at night would not be seen at all). These can see a long way up the road and do an average speed check. They see you before you notice them. They do not use  a film that needs developing but send the info to a control (fine) centre where they can check the vehicle reg/its speed limit and then send out the fines. Anyone caught will only find out when the fine arrives in the post.

Posted (edited)

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lincolnshire-road-safety-partnership/speed-cameras/types-of-speed-camera/120355.article

I noticed a lot of Specs when I was up there last month .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

4 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

It's a joke when they label it a Road Safety Partnership when all it is really is a cash cow, the money they spend on installing cameras regardless of the government guidelines is ridiculous, but is soon recouped in fines.

5 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It's a joke when they label it a Road Safety Partnership when all it is really is a cash cow, the money they spend on installing cameras regardless of the government guidelines is ridiculous, but is soon recouped in fines.

If they really were seen as  cash cows an awful lot more of them would be working at any one time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

True but at the end of the day drivers have a choice ?

I find it can be difficult when speeds can vary so much and it is not uncommon to be in a maximum speed single lane then drop to 50 for a few hundred yards then to 40 for a few more hundred yards then hit a village when the speed can drop to 30 or even 20 mph in a narrow lane village . I find I spend one eye on the road and one on the Satnag speed limit .

Dave

Notable is that Average Speed Cameras record the registration number of every vehicle whether speeding or not.

So much for data protection and the right to privacy. Big Brother!

37 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

True but at the end of the day drivers have a choice ?

I find it can be difficult when speeds can vary so much and it is not uncommon to be in a maximum speed single lane then drop to 50 for a few hundred yards then to 40 for a few more hundred yards then hit a village when the speed can drop to 30 or even 20 mph in a narrow lane village . I find I spend one eye on the road and one on the Satnag speed limit .

Dave

Unfortunately the speed limits are not always clear and consistent.

You can drive down a road that is rural, no houses etc and it is National Speed Limit, you hit a village and it doesn't change and then not much further back in to rural countryside and its 30 mph.

...and who carries a tape measure to determine the distance between lamp posts :(

As spring approaches many rural signs are obscured by foliage, but you don't always get chance to go back to take a picture as mitigating evidence as the NIP appears in the post, you could be travelling home from holiday, or when you do go back the council have been told and have trimmed the offending bush.

Sadly the way they go about it, they can protest all they like in the name of safety but that is not the main agenda item, if it was they would put signs up at a distance warning people the cameras are there, because not everyone travelling that road is a local who should know they are there.

6 minutes ago, Ern said:

Notable is that Average Speed Cameras record the registration number of every vehicle whether speeding or not.

****************************************************

But how long is that data kept and for what purpose, because the DPA Commissioners Office  is very clear on this!

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

To be fair it is a  completely cash cow tax you either enter into it or you don’t seem simple to me 

speed limits are set set for a reason if people don’t know or can not see the reason they should go for driving lessons. 

‘Personally I think all cameras should be hidden. Anyone who sees a camera and slows down is not driving correctly anyway. 

‘I don’t care about someone not seeing a camera it’s the child playing that is the problem. 

Caravans are massively affected by wind under the van that makes them unstable this is why the speed limits are reduced. 

A stable unit ar 60mph can become unstable at 70mph add this this poor loading etc and we can have big problems. 

Wishing every one well

James Foote 

44 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

You can drive down a road that is rural, no houses etc and it is National Speed Limit, you hit a village and it doesn't change and then not much further back in to rural countryside and its 30 mph.

So what? When is the law ever logical?

46 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

...and who carries a tape measure to determine the distance between lamp posts :(

Bit of a red herring that one!

If there are lamp posts (plural) down a street that you can see extend into the distance they will be less than 200 yards apart.

The only time they will be more than 200 yards apart will be where there are single isolated posts at junctions etc.

I doubt you will ever find, in the UK a row of lamp posts more than 175yds apart, or isolated posts less than 250yds apart.

So the rule is actually simple:- If there are lamp posts (plural) the limit is 30 unless signs indicate otherwise, if there are not lampposts (plural), and no signs it is national limit.

2 minutes ago, Jcf1966 said:

Caravans are massively affected by wind under the van that makes them unstable this is why the speed limits are reduced. 

A stable unit ar 60mph can become unstable at 70mph add this this poor loading etc and we can have big problems. 

Opinions differ as to the actual causes of instability, let's not start that debate again here!

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

Opinions differ as to the actual causes of instability, let's not start that debate again here!

Nose up? 😂

On 17/06/2019 at 15:53, David 38 said:

Still is for unbraked trailers.

Which legislation states that??  As it’s certainly news to me! 

Andy

2 hours ago, Ern said:

There is no breach of data protection laws in relation to collecting data for law enforcement purposes. The data captured (photograph) of non-offending vehicles is not processed and is deleted. Only offending vehicle details are retained for the purposes of enforcement.

I'd love to know why you ask.  As someone who has posted over four thousand times, I assume you have been caravanning for a good many years?  :D

2 hours ago, kelper said:

I'd love to know why you ask.  As someone who has posted over four thousand times, I assume you have been caravanning for a good many years?  :D

With no quote it is difficult to know who you are referring to. Would you care to elaborate?

19 minutes ago, WispMan said:

With no quote it is difficult to know who you are referring to. Would you care to elaborate?

I assumed he meant the originator of the thread.

4 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

they can protest all they like in the name of safety but that is not the main agenda item, if it was they would put signs up at a distance warning people the cameras are there, because not everyone travelling that road is a local who should know they are there.

There are warning signs at a distance.  They are round with a red border and have a big number in the middle, usually a multiple of 10.  Or do you only obey speed limits if you expect a camara to be around?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

I was referring to the Op in the first post

2 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

There are warning signs at a distance.  They are round with a red border and have a big number in the middle, usually a multiple of 10.  Or do you only obey speed limits if you expect a camara to be around?

How about reading all of my posts on the topic instead of replying to just one, then you might not try being a smart Alec.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

Speed limits are set set for a reason if people don’t know or can not see the reason they should go for driving lessons.

It’s not the limit that is the issue, it is the inconsistency of speed limits.

30 to 60 and back to 40, then down to 30 all within a stretch of road about 1/2 a mile long, why not just one limit?

I don’t care about someone not seeing a camera it’s the child playing that is the problem. 

What about the roads through rural areas where there are no villages and no kids?

Wind is not the only thing that can make a caravan unstable, outfit mismatch, poor loading will contribute to that, but it isn’t windy every day of the year everywhere across the country.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this