Sign in to follow this  
Paul90125

Tyron bands

I’d never heard of them until today after my wife came home from a CMC towing course.  Any comments on them and their usefulness.

Yes well worth the money saved me from a possible accident and caravan from damage when a tyre blew out on a busy dual carriageway. Caravan was only 18 months old at the time.

Is this not an old subject that has been discussed and well debated previously /

I think if Paul searches in the history he will find the topics debate.

I think you’re better off fitting tyre pressure sensors to your caravan , Tyrepal for example.

I got a ‘blowout’ at 60mph on a Dutch motorway last year, single axle 2 tonne Euro Delta, apart from the tyre no damage and no major instability but had I have had the Tyrepal Sensors fitted I would’ve known what was coming.

If I’m honest I previously thought they were pointless but following recommendation from a forum member (PC Plod) I bought a set and they now give me that extra bit of piece of mind.

I still think Tyron bands are a waste of money.

6 minutes ago, Fleetline said:

Is this not an old subject that has been discussed and well debated previously /

I think if Paul searches in the history he will find the topics debate.

Yes it has been debated to death, many times

When I bought my caravan 14 years ago they were really the only tyre safety device available. Now with the advent of reliable tyre pressure monitoring systems the need for Tyron bands is much reduced. I now have Tyron bands and TPMS, but when the tyres are replaced the Tyron bands will not be refitted. I am sure the tyre fitter will also be relieved. With some insurance companies you will receive a discount for having Tyrons fitted. Not sure about the same with TPMS as some people find they are unreliable, which insurers may have picked up on. Mine have been 100% reliable over many 1000’s of miles.

John

They were fitted to my Avondale wheels when I bought it eight years ago.   I didn't bother refitting them when I changed the tyres three years ago,   I prefer to depend on the TPMS which works on 6 wheels.   If anyone is interested in buying the spider for changing the tyres, I have one for sale.