Sign in to follow this  
Julie1961

What type of electrical goods needed?

Hello, I'm really new to caravaning and want to start buying some bits but I have no idea if I can use normal electrical goods or do I have to buy 12v  I'm after the basics like kettle  toaster and TV!  Any advise much appreciated,

Thanks

Julie

that all depends if you are going on sites that have electric hook ups, if you are then you will be able to use 240v items such as toaster, kettle, hoover, hair dryer, but if going off grid then you will need 12v things, unless you buy an inverter that turn 12v into 240v then you may also need a couple of batteries or a decent solar panel

phil

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Julie1961 said:

I have no idea if I can use normal electrical goods or do I have to buy 12v 

I have in my caravan a 2KW kettle, a 1KW toaster, a 750/1500 Watt fan heater, a 700Watt microwave oven, a small electric oven with two hot plates on top, the gas/electric fridge which nearly always works off electric and the gas/electric Trumawater heater, which always works on electric.   All together they would take around 28 amps.   Most caravan sites have either 6amps, 10amps, 16amps or maybe none at all.    So the first thing you need to know is the maximum number of amps of the site bollard.   When you know that, you know what you can switch on and what will trip the supply.     To find the amps, read the label attached to the unit.     Say it's 2000Watt.   Divide that by the voltage supply - usually 230 volts in the UK -  220 volts when you're abroad.

Edited by Jaydug
Correction

If you intend to stick to sites with electric hook up you can stick with ordinary mains equipment but...……

All sites have limited wattage available, described in terms of current. Most in the UK will give you 15A, but some only 10A or even as low as 4A!

15A equates to just short of 4KW, 10A is a generous 2KW and 4A is less than 1KW.

All modern flat screen TVs are fine, well below even 1KW.

When buying other items you need to look for the lowest wattage you can find and limit yourself on how many you use at any one time.  Low wattage versions are available in caravan accessory shops but at a price.

Toasters: stick with 2 slice, and often the budget brands, or retailer's own brands, are only about 750W.

Kettles: mainstream retailers often sell small low wattage versions but caravan accessory shops often sell full size low wattage (about 750W) ones. Normal kettles are about  2.7KW and are only OK on 15A hook-ups, and even then only if you remember to turn heater and microwave off. 

Don't forget that your fridge and battery charger use up some of your allowance, the microwave in use uses up quite a big chunk (typically 1.2KW for a 750W microwave), and your water and space heaters can easily eat up 2KW.

By a travel TV - it can run off 12V or 240V.  I just bought a Cello 19" with built-in satellite receiver, for £149 on Amazon.  Very happy.  My 12v system is only 20A so total load must not exceed 240 Watts!  Not really any use except for lights phone and laptop.  I have a small fan that charges off a USB lead so it can be used whether hooked up or not.  Toast on the gas grill, Same for kettle.

Electric kettle play safe and get an 800/900/1000 watt.

I'm shocked at the prices charged by caravan shops, as I'm requiring a replacement for mine anyone found low wattage in main street shops or retail parks?

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Electric kettle play safe and get an 800/900/1000 watt.

I'm shocked at the prices charged by caravan shops, as I'm requiring a replacement for mine anyone found low wattage in main street shops or retail parks?

Try this https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/kitchen-accessories/quest-17-litre-low-watt-kettle.html

Posted (edited)

would this do it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Cordless-Kitchen-Kettle-Caravan/dp/B06XC1RQFV/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0HY5SHZH9PBYMHR8XM8R

really easy to find - just type 1000w kettle into Google at you get lots

Edited by matelodave

11 hours ago, Julie1961 said:

Hello, I'm really new to caravaning and want to start buying some bits but I have no idea if I can use normal electrical goods or do I have to buy 12v  I'm after the basics like kettle  toaster and TV!  Any advise much appreciated,

Thanks

Julie

What model or size of caravan is it?  Does it have electrical sockets?  does it have a gas cooker or grill?

20 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Interesting but extra £6.50 for delivery hence my question regarding buying local.

21 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Did you follow your link?   2 sellers one is del'y extra £28 the other £25 !!!

4 minutes ago, kelper said:

That's good and if not in stock at my local store only £3 extra to deliver, thanks.

3 years warranty as well.

8 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Interesting but extra £6.50 for delivery hence my question regarding buying local.

Did you follow your link?   2 sellers one is del'y extra £28 the other £25 !!!

yep - amazon prime,free delivery next week for £10.97

38 minutes ago, David 38 said:

OOPS! I tend to forget that the shop for A2Zcamping is not local for everyone!

2 hours ago, kelper said:

Great just been to local Aldi and bought one, choice of white or black and was £7.99 !

Thanks for the advice, I suggest OP gets one.

5 hours ago, kelper said:

By a travel TV - it can run off 12V or 240V.  I just bought a Cello 19" with built-in satellite receiver, for £149 on Amazon.  Very happy.  My 12v system is only 20A so total load must not exceed 240 Watts!  Not really any use except for lights phone and laptop.  I have a small fan that charges off a USB lead so it can be used whether hooked up or not.  Toast on the gas grill, Same for kettle.

Does it not have a leisure battery etc? Why only 20A ?

The wiring is 20 Amp so there is a 20A fuse on the battery.  It's a tiny caravan (750kg, laden).  Made in Poland where any electrics are quite recent.

Posted (edited)

20amps is quite a lot - a 12v TV will only draw 2-3 amps, charging a mobile phone from the 12v supply is around 0.5 to 1 amp. Running the water pump might be 3-4 amps, but only intermittently. Even lighting doesn't take all that much especially if it's LED otherwise a 10watt bulb is less than one amp.

A Laptop, via the 12v supply could possibly take 40-60watts =  4-6amps when charging but a bit less is it's fully charged.

Most vans are fused and have a 20amp battery fuse and a 20amp power supply unit  and it's plenty unless you are trying to run a decent sized inverter when you'd need dedicated wiring to be safe. We can run our 240v 22" TV via a small inverter without blowing fuses. 3amps+ inverter losses = 4 amps,

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1