Sign in to follow this  
gymjim

Cleaning green residue on van - advice please

hello , I wonder if anyone has come up with a spray or something like that to kill of the green stuff that I seem to be having an abundance of this year on my van swift 565 , I have tried various shampoos  recommended for cleaning vans , no trees near me , no grass either  any one solved this problem .

Wet and Forget Mould and Algae killer

Put aside an afternoon, get some rubber gloves, some patio cleaner (or Traffic Film Remover), an old tooth brush, a sponge and a decent helping of elbow grease.  I mix up half a cup of patio cleaner with a gallon of hot water and give the caravan a good wash, then rinse.  This won't get rid of all of it.  I then mix up a litre of hot water and half a cup of patio cleaner (so a much stronger solution) and use an old tooth brush and sponge on any stubborn stains, the gloves are a must as it REALLY dries out your skin.  I then follow this with another all over wash with diluted patio cleaner as at the start then either a good polish OR at the least, another wash using car wash & wax.

I know this sounds laborious but it really does shift 99% of the muck.  I only have to do this at the start of each year, if I polish it after it only needs a quick wash with car shampoo to bring it back to clean again.

Others use the various Fenwicks caravan products but I've never used them so cannot comment.  

Most caravan cleaning products will do a decent job of getting it off, if used appropriately with plenty of elbow grease. Even just clean water and a soft brush will get most of it off!

Stopping it coming back is another matter, and requires a different product, none of which are 100% effective, but the better ones will give you a season most years.

Interested to know how it gets in that sate to begin with? Buy a pump action garden spray with a lance and fill with diluted Fenicks and spray on. Use a long handled brush and then rinse off. Prevention is better than cure so regular washing is the best way of prevention.

David

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, klyne said:

Interested to know how it gets in that sate to begin with? 

Airborne dust contained in raindrops contains all the necessary ingredients for the algae to form and start to grow.

Anywhere that this settles and remains damp but still gets daylight is likely to grow a layer.

Shiny, waxy surfaces that tend to repel water will get less algae, and what there is washes off easier

• Like 1

Hi GarryB1969, their is good advice and bad, your 's is  floored on so many  counts I couldn't possibly comment.

PS . Thankfully you haven't used  Fenwicks products.

Edited by OMF
Getting his name right
  • Like 1

OMF ...you spend more time here than when you had a proper job!

cheers

geoff

46 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

OMF ...you spend more time here than when you had a proper job!

cheers

geoff

Hi geoff , (is it alright to call  you Geoff? ) I am trying very hard to be PC but you welcomed me back after my tenth retirement and I couldn't let you down now could i? Any road up I've been proper poorly so have more time on my hands to get into trouble , but  has it been with it YES! Just to take you back a bit I had a stall in Blackpool in the70s now then not a lot of people know that (and it cost me). Cheers old miser fenwick ! Just to take you back a bit I had a stall in Blackpool in the70s now  not a lot of people know that (and it cost me). Cheers old miser fenwick 

4 minutes ago, OMF said:

Sorry Ditto repeato

Edited by OMF

Still get the hiccups then!

rgds

geoff

47 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Still get the hiccups then!

rgds

geoff

Yup,yup-----hoc. Hip---- must get back on the pills ( Lager that is) cheers hic

19 hours ago, klyne said:

Interested to know how it gets in that sate to begin with? Buy a pump action garden spray with a lance and fill with diluted Fenicks and spray on. Use a long handled brush and then rinse off. Prevention is better than cure so regular washing is the best way of prevention.

David

Hi, and thank you-------, cheers Roger

Muck-Off shifts it - and the black lines as well. It is not cheap but Halfords usually do some sort of discount. I paid £21.99 recently for 5L but I have paid as little as £14.99 from the same branch.

The good bit is that you don't need much in your bucket - ½ a cupful is plenty.

Oh, and about an eggcupful in the washer bottle means you never get smear and it shifts road (and car) wax almost instantly. It is bio-degradable so not harmful to the environment.

Whilst my caravan was in storage a completely green coated caravan was left next to mine.  Within a few weeks the side of mine next to the green coated one was developing a coat of it's own and so was half the roof.

I went down to the storage with  4 or 5 drums of water, a large garden sprayer and 4 litres of "Wet and Forget". I saturated my whole van and left it for a week.   I asked for a different pitch and got one.  

The wet and forget really worked well and the caravan came up like new using Fenwicks products. 

So another vote for Wet and Forget ( when used according to instructions) and Fenwicks.

To shift the green ......Wash the van with Bio-washing powder and hot water.

2 hours ago, Gd485 said:

To shift the green ......Wash the van with Bio-washing powder and hot water.

What spin speed can you use, is 900 rpm ok? and boil wash? :D:rolleyes::D

Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner, followed by Fenwicks Overwintering.

BUT, read the instructions, and follow them. No danger if you don't, but you'll get much better results if you do.

I have no connection whatsoever with Fenwicks.