Sign in to follow this  
hall99m

Carver 1800S Heater Problem

Hi,

My caravan has a Carver 1800S Heater installed. When  I bought it last year, I tried the heater and it was not working, what you press down on the control knob, the heater lights, but when I release the knob to turn the heater up the flame goes out right away.

I have replaced the burner, gas valve and thermocouple. I have tried it again and exactly the same thing happens, the flame lights when the knob is pressed and held down even for a long while, but the flame goes out again as soon as it is released.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

This does sound like a thermocouple not working. Can you measure the voltage output of the thermocouple when heated? I think it should be 25 to 35 millivolts.

Is the thermocouple definitely positioned correctly to heat sufficiently to operate?

Edited by mecamero
add something extra

I tested the thermocouple on he bench with a blow torch, i got a maximum of about 25 millivolts from it. I put the heater back in situ and tested the thermocouple again, I only got a few millivolts. The tip of the thermocouple is resting against the side of the burner so I don't see how I could get it any closer. I moved the thermocouple off the burner slightly in case it touching the burner was affecting it but made no difference. Should the tip of the thermocouple be touching the burner flame?

1 hour ago, hall99m said:

tested the thermocouple again, I only got a few millivolts.

A couple of weeks ago my fridge thermocouple had 19 mV when I tested it because it wouldn't keep the burner alight.   The minimum requirement is about 25mV.   Not surprised a blowtorch gave you a good reading.   A candle or lighter flame is what's needed.

On 13/06/2019 at 18:36, hall99m said:

Should the tip of the thermocouple be touching the burner flame?

No it shouldn't be in the burner flame!   The pilot light should just be licking the thermocouple bulb.