Sign in to follow this  
Amanda Whitehouse

Drip marks on graphics

Is it possible to remove drips/run off marks on graphics? Anyone had any success? They appeared after using Fenwicks winter protection, which I sprayed on and mixed exactly as per instructions in October 2018. Never had an issue with it before, but on this occasion marks are remaining and won’t come off with the usual caravan cleaners.

Hi Amander, there are a great many reasons for this steaking but it's certainly not Fenwicks Overwintering  that's caused the problem,  it's more likely too be the previous  misuse of cleaners  etc. and how they are applied and removed.

Regards  Roger( OMF)

7 hours ago, OMF said:

Hi Amander, there are a great many reasons for this steaking but it's certainly not Fenwicks Overwintering  that's caused the problem,  it's more likely too be the previous  misuse of cleaners  etc. and how they are applied and removed.

Regards  Roger( OMF)

I can’t see what else it could be. I’ve had the van since new, and only ever used Fenwicks.  The key question though is whether it’s possible to remove the marks?

Are they dark streaks on light coloured graphics or light streaks on dark graphics?

Light streaks can be caused by sun bleaching of the graphic accelerated by cleaning products taking off a thin layer of the pigment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevan said:

Are they dark streaks on light coloured graphics or light streaks on dark graphics?

Light streaks can be caused by sun bleaching of the graphic accelerated by cleaning products taking off a thin layer of the pigment.

Light grey graphics with dark streaks 

Could have been caused by washing the caravan from the top down allowing detergent running down the dry bodywork to mark the vinyl. It’s why you should always wash bottom up with gouts  of cold water to first wet then rinse the panel. Dirty water running off the upper panels and roof will simply run off without marking. 

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Could have been caused by washing the caravan from the top down allowing detergent running down the dry bodywork to mark the vinyl. It’s why you should always wash bottom up with gouts  of cold water to first wet then rinse the panel. Dirty water running off the upper panels and roof will simply run off without marking. 

That’s something I didn’t know! I’ve always started with the roof!

2 minutes ago, Amanda Whitehouse said:

That’s something I didn’t know! I’ve always started with the roof!

Same here, was taught to clean car top down so doing same with caravan.

What you have, might not be what you think it is.

We see loads of the newer style decals (the larger ones, that tend to have different designs incorporated into them) with what people often think are streak marks.  They are actually where water has run from natural points, like the tiny joint gaps in awning rails, or any other point that make rain water run down from one single place as a constant flow. 

This often almost removes the design within the decal in a line, hence why you cannot remove what you think is a streak, because it's the decal design or colour that's been removed by the flow of constant water. 

This might almost sound daft, because you'd think the decal would be good enough to withstand this.

The easiest way to determine this is to see if it's effected the line directly above and below the decal.  Plus check if there is a corresponding joint in the awning rail, to allow the water to naturally flow from this point. 

The above reads more complex than it actually is, but should make sense. 

Edited by Tourershine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/06/2019 at 22:22, Amanda Whitehouse said:

I can’t see what else it could be. I’ve had the van since new, and only ever used Fenwicks.  The key question though is whether it’s possible to remove the marks?

Good morning Amanda, I apologise for taking my time answering your question fully only I was waiting for other explanations from other posters rather than only putting my point of view, so the key answer is  YES ! Fenwicks Black Streak Remover.

Safe caravanning Regards   Roger (omf)

Black Streak Remover I got some at Aldi yesterday whilst buying a 1000w caravan kettle at £7.99 and it is a made in UK product says "Power Forge" and was £1.49.