Sign in to follow this  
mickfishing

Car breakdown cover

Its time to renew car breakdown cover at the moment we have RAC arrival renew price £124.95 no home cover included , have got a quote from green flag £63.84 they say will tow van to place of my choice this includes home cover question is do I switch or stay been with RAC since 1984 used them twice to bring van home both times couldn't fault the service , any advise 

Probably dozens of related threads in Search,it is one of the most common questions....me? I am a Mayday user.

Geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Do you have to be a member of the Caravan club to use Mayday ?

Yes of course.

"Breakdown cover is only available to Caravan and Motorhome Club members. Find out more about our membership benefits and join the Club today. "

Phone RAC with your Green Flag quote - they will usually match it.

When my wife did this a couple of years ago, the tele sales op quipped that my wife had been an RAC member since before the op was born! They matched the price.

14 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

Phone RAC with your Green Flag quote - they will usually match it.

When my wife did this a couple of years ago, the tele sales op quipped that my wife had been an RAC member since before the op was born! They matched the price.

Don't think the RAC will do anything, as the OP has stated he has RAC Arrival, exclusive to the Camping and Caravan Club

The RAC would not do any price reduction when our daughter came to renew, they were about £140 for full cover (roadside, recovery, home start) and green flag were £54 for the same cover. We are with Mayday to cover the caravan which for our 2 cars was far cheaper than RAC Arrival which we left a couple of years ago after about 16 years.

I include home start after once having a car breakdown a bit less than a quarter of a mile from home and had to push it home to sort it, fortunately none of it up hill but still not easy even though only a small Fiat 127.

We are green flag:)

We have Britannia through our Nationwide bank account.   I suggest checking what your banks offer.

Green flag does not cover the caravan but only when attached to the tow car and RAC arrival will cover the caravan itself .

You only get what you pay for in two different types of cover ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Can't think of situation one would call out breakdown for caravan if it wasn't attached to car.

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Can't think of situation one would call out breakdown for caravan if it wasn't attached to car.

Wheel coming off?

Just now, JanandJay said:

Wheel coming off?

Yes but surely it would be attached and being towed.

That's like when I had punctures.

29 minutes ago, David 38 said:

We have Britannia through our Nationwide bank account.   I suggest checking what your banks offer.

At £13 month  (£156 pa) but includes self and  partner in any car for foreign breakdown, worldwide travel  and mobiles insurance ;)

Keeping  £2500 in the account earns 3% interest so reduces cost to £81 pa :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, David 38 said:

If you go out for the day and the car breaks down and towed to a garage and the caravan is left on site .

Dave

4 hours ago, mickfishing said:

Its time to renew car breakdown cover at the moment we have RAC arrival renew price £124.95 no home cover included , have got a quote from green flag £63.84 they say will tow van to place of my choice this includes home cover question is do I switch or stay been with RAC since 1984 used them twice to bring van home both times couldn't fault the service , any advise 

And for £20 more you can have Green Flag Europlus, which is that same  level of UK cover and also adds in trips to Europe maximum of 30 days each up to a total of 90 days overseas in the year. 

33 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

If you go out for the day and the car breaks down and towed to a garage and the caravan is left on site .

Dave

Well if caravan wheel comes off whilst left on site it must be un- roadworthy in first place.

check for things like accident cover, many companies do not recover you and rely on an insurance company, also many won't continue to a journey to holiday site with caravan then recover home afterwards...so holiday ruined......  

Just joined RAC (been with them before) as I found the cover better than GEM, who  would only cover me for one call out for the same fault...   simple thing to do is list all the things RAC or AA or whoever cover you for and compare them..

Edited by Les666

I have posted on another thread that I have recently taken out AA UK/Europe car/caravan breakdown/recovery through Safeguard/Towergate caravan insurance.  There are limits to the size of the caravan:

Length 8m

Width 2.3m

Height 3m

Weight 3.5t

And other restrictions such as a maximum of 5 call-outs a year, but at a cost of £65pa (on top of a competitively priced caravan insurance - over £40 less than my previous CMC "cover") I thought it represented good value.

If you are a member of Which magazine or know someone who is a memberthey did a survey end of 2018 published in early 2019 of 27 breakdown providers

Thanks for all the replys will do some thinking and contact the RAC re the cost  

Mayday’s (C&MHC) offer new Premier Plus Uk cover - which seems to offer at home cover for the van itself and an enhanced package of driver care - combinations of which now seem to be similar to the RAC arrive package- but also includes accidents / vandalism/ snow / mud etc 

DJ