Sign in to follow this  
Daveg

8k tug

2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Modern cars with auto gearboxes are as economical if not more so than the manual derivative and attract the same/similar VED.

That is not universally true, there are certainly many autos that can match or even improve on their manual counterparts, but far from all. BMW's do appear to be particularly good at it. 

Edited by jetA1

After my OP when I wanted to get my own car I was told I had to have a work car which is a Navara N300  double cab with hard top cover .  . Loads of power  :-) but mpg seems terrible  33/34 solo ?  Literature says low 40s, and I know you never get that , but are people getting more than me  ??

2 minutes ago, Daveg said:

After my OP when I wanted to get my own car I was told I had to have a work car which is a Navara N300  double cab with hard top cover .  . Loads of power  :-) but mpg seems terrible  33/34 solo ?  Literature says low 40s, and I know you never get that , but are people getting more than me  ??

33/34 mpg seems very reasonable for a vehicle that size.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

33/34 mpg seems very reasonable for a vehicle that size.

Does to me too.  Also if it's a new one the mpg might well improve a bit with use.

Yes thanks all. Manufactures figures are optimistic. 

On 14/06/2019 at 07:42, AlwynMike said:

Some of the VAG auto boxes have a poor reputation at high mileages, but others are good - there is a forum member who is very knowledgable about these DSG boxes.

If only they would appear!! ;)

Well for a start at 1450kg the Octavia's are not heavy enough.

Passat/Superb will be but nearer to 100% than 85% match. As would be the Mondeo.

As for Auto a torque converter auto will nearly always be better as a tow car if it has sufficient cooling.  But as alsways there are good and bad.

Some Dual Clutch Gearboxes are fine for towing and some not. The 7 speed dry clutch (DQ200) used by VAG isn't happy towing but as it's used with engines smaller than 2.0 and with a maximum torque of 250NM I doubt it will bother the OP.

The Superb/Passat that is in the OP's price range use the 6 speed wet clutch DQ250 gearbox which is good for towing and very reliable but 40k mile oil changes are essential. If it has not got proof of having it done walk away.

For vehicles like the latest gen Mondeo it gets complicated. The diesels have a 6 speed dual clutch transmission with wet clutches but it just about manages to keep its clutches cool during normal driving, it becomes unreliable when towing. The Ecoboost petrols get a 6 speed conventional auto which is smooth and very reliable.

If you are looking bigger towards a 5 series the the E** models will have a 6 speed conventional auto but the newer F** models get the ZF8HP which has earned its reputation as the best and most reliable auto on sale.  There's a big list of manufactures using the ZF if you want the best Auto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

What approx mpg can I expect with Navara when towing 1500kg van.? 

3 minutes ago, Daveg said:

What approx mpg can I expect with Navara when towing 1500kg van.? 

As a very rough rule of thumb, mpg towing is often around 2/3 of that solo. 

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

As a very rough rule of thumb, mpg towing is often around 2/3 of that solo. 

This is about right for all my towing using petrol or diesel cars. However, when there are many hills on the route it might be nearer 1/2 of that solo. Keeping below 60 mph on motorways helps improve mpg quite a bit compared to at 60 mph.

Edited by Paul1957

Apologies all

For those still interested here's an update 😒

After buying a new no plate and booking a tow bar fitting the company said 

"their insurance policy did not cover caravans"!!!!! 

Stuff it I said let my buy my own. (original plan) 

Do please help my head. I've narrowed down to 2cars VW Passat 2.0diesal estate and Skoda Superb 2.0hatch of estate. 

Opinions on the following please

1,DSG box v Manual  re cost mpg and repairs /reliabity on approx 64plate 60000miles

2,Overal running costs. Co2 service etc 

3, Driving dynamics

4,Desirable car/spec

Sorry to be a pain but I've had company cars for 25years so this is a big thing I want to get right. 

When looking at cars it will be worth checking they have a euro 6 engine so less likely to be affected by future clean air zone charges, Newcastle is among the towns that could be getting one at some point. New cars only had to comply from late 2015 so ones up to and including a 15 plate may be euro 5.

On 19/06/2019 at 14:12, Paul1957 said:

When looking at cars it will be worth checking they have a euro 6 engine so less likely to be affected by future clean air zone charges, Newcastle is among the towns that could be getting one at some point. New cars only had to comply from late 2015 so ones up to and including a 15 plate may be euro 5.

Thanks Paul. Good point 

2 hours ago, Daveg said:

Apologies all

For those still interested here's an update 😒

After buying a new no plate and booking a tow bar fitting the company said 

"their insurance policy did not cover caravans"!!!!! 

Stuff it I said let my buy my own. (original plan) 

Do please help my head. I've narrowed down to 2cars VW Passat 2.0diesal estate and Skoda Superb 2.0hatch of estate. 

Opinions on the following please

1,DSG box v Manual  re cost mpg and repairs /reliabity on approx 64plate 60000miles

2,Overal running costs. Co2 service etc 

3, Driving dynamics

4,Desirable car/spec

Sorry to be a pain but I've had company cars for 25years so this is a big thing I want to get right. 

Any more info on model spec? 64 plate could be B7 or B8 Passat so you may scrape an MQB model.

MQB Superb would be 6 months later.

Running costs between DSG and Manual will be negligable but the DSG will require an oil change at 40k miles at a cost of around £160. You should not have any DSG reliability issues as long as the 40k service was done. Avoid if it wasn't done.

Passat and Superb driver very similar.

Superb has more rear leg room and usually more toys for the same money.

Edited by logiclee

Doubt a B8 Passat or current Superb will fit into the £8k budget unless it’s been used as a minicab! 

Either the B7 Passat or previous Superb would be great, just buy on condition and history and enjoy! Superb is bigger, Passat looks better (as a saloon anyway).

14 hours ago, logiclee said:

Any more info on model spec? 64 plate could be B7 or B8 Passat so you may scrape an MQB model.

MQB Superb would be 6 months later.

Running costs between DSG and Manual will be negligable but the DSG will require an oil change at 40k miles at a cost of around £160. You should not have any DSG reliability issues as long as the 40k service was done. Avoid if it wasn't done.

Passat and Superb driver very similar.

Superb has more rear leg room and usually more toys for the same money.

Not sure on model spec re B7 or  B8 . It has 42k miles on so interesting point re oil change , thanks . Its classed as ex MOD car so I would imagine servicing was done but will check ..

B8 is the current Passat, B7 is the last one - as lee says a 64 plate can be either.

I wouldn’t take ex MOD as having been serviced - I looked at three approved used Passats direct from VW fleet each with 40k on the clock that hadn’t been serviced!