Caravan Novice 101

Damp Report

Hi

We bought our first ever caravan last month a used 2006 model and put it in for a service. I have attached a copy of the damp report and wondered if anyone can tell me if I should be concerned with anything? 

Thanks 

IMG_20190612_175303.jpg

Up to 14-15 is normal, over 18 is worthy of further investigation 

3 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Up to 14-15 is normal, over 18 is worthy of further investigation 

Thanks for your quick reply. So only a few areas of 16 to keep an eye on. 

They are excellent readings, specially in a 2006 van,also with the weather the way it is with very moist air at the moment,there are many new and nearly new vans that would bite your hand off for readings like that,i Talk from bitter experience.

22 minutes ago, pete260 said:

They are excellent readings, specially in a 2006 van,also with the weather the way it is with very moist air at the moment,there are many new and nearly new vans that would bite your hand off for readings like that,i Talk from bitter experience.

Thanks for response. It was what I was most concerned with when buying caravan especially since was a private sale!! 

37 minutes ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

Yes, CN - may be worth checking the seating of rubbers around that front window, and not just at the bottom corner but also higher up in case of run-down.

John

8 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Yes, CN - may be worth checking the seating of rubbers around that front window, and not just at the bottom corner but also higher up in case of run-down.

John

Will have a check when I'm next up at caravan. Hopefully this weekend 

44 minutes ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

"Keep an eye on" in a very hands off way! These readings are good and you don't want to go disturbing seals that are doing their job this well. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it!

Repeating the damp test annually should be fine.

If you feel you really must do something then you need to completely strip out the seals, remove all traces of old sealant, new seals and new sealant. Best left well alone!

Nothing there would worry me, use it as a bench mark for the future.

The reading below was a summer reading of a bench in my dry garage.

20190612_225027.thumb.jpg.12806740dbecacd4acd5c0b297d467bc.jpg

The anniversary of when I bought my van is in April so the annual habitation check is done pretty soon after it has spent the winter shut up against the cold and damp - albeit with an occasional airing.  And I think the readings received reflect that.  It does make me think I should be using the timing leeway in the warranty requirement for when the service is done so that I gradually move towards the middle of summer. 

Why no readings at the floor to wall joints?

I had similar readings on my last caravan, a 2008 Pageant. The service agent came in to the house shaking his head and said, "Bad news I'm afraid". Oh No, I said, whats wrong with it. Not a damn thing he replied. I said That's not bad news. It is for me, he said

1 hour ago, Stockcroft said:

The anniversary of when I bought my van is in April so the annual habitation check is done pretty soon after it has spent the winter shut up against the cold and damp - albeit with an occasional airing.  And I think the readings received reflect that.  It does make me think I should be using the timing leeway in the warranty requirement for when the service is done so that I gradually move towards the middle of summer. 

The timing leeway for servicing does not let you move to later in the year since it is leeway against the date it was first sold. Once the warranty has expired you can then have it serviced when you want but beware there are times when servicing can be busy so might need booking well in advance. So for now you will still need to have it serviced in April plus or minus the few weeks allowed which can vary depending on the service year. It might be better though to always go before the anniversary date so any warranty items are caught before it expires.

Edited by Paul1957

They are excellent readings - even for a 3 year old van let alone a 13 year old.   If the rest of the caravan is in similar condition you have made a jolly good purchase.

Enjoy.

4 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

Why no readings at the floor to wall joints?

I will ask service centre about that and see what they say 

28 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

They are excellent readings - even for a 3 year old van let alone a 13 year old.   If the rest of the caravan is in similar condition you have made a jolly good purchase.

Enjoy.

Thanks only other thing picked up in service was gas burner part for fridge which was only £30 to replace so overall seemed well. 

Thanks everyone for your help and advice