divad8910

Truma Water Heater Temperature Control

Is there any way of putting a manually adjustable thermostat on the Truma Water heater in a bailey Senator series 6. Ive often thought it mad that there is a thermostat  for controlling gas heating of water but not electric. My water seems to get too hot to dangerous levels for kids and old folk, i havnt measured but I reckon its more than 70 C. Its great for showers but not for anything else. Is there an adjustable thermostat fitted to the heater internally that can have its settings changed???

Regards Dave

Ps with regard to this van its new used to me and I'm discovering its problems, theres likely to be more questions coming, I wish I had kept my old Abby.

There isn't a manually adjustable thermostat on the electric heating on the Trumaboiler but there is a thermostat which turns it off at 70C (I think).   I discovered mine was getting too hot whilst I was in Spain during the winter however, I have mine on a timer switch so all I needed to do was to reduce the time it stayed switched on.   I replaced the over-heat thermostat just a few weeks ago.   Here's a picture of it.   It's the one attached to the yellow wires.   And you're looking at it in a mirror - it's facing away from the front.

IMG_20190511_123544_BURST002.jpg.2eecf4f14847140785c10f9f3fa7c722.jpg

That is ridiculous and dangerous. My last colander did have a water heater control, so I know they exist. Get in touch with Bailey and tell them the problem and that the temperature is dangerous. Without feedback they wont know, and they should fit one free.

However :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173793635057

17 minutes ago, BOAC said:

That is ridiculous and dangerous. My last colander did have a water heater control, so I know they exist. Get in touch with Bailey and tell them the problem and that the temperature is dangerous. Without feedback they wont know, and they should fit one free.

I think the caravan is a good few years old - perhaps 10.

2 minutes ago, Ern said:

I think the caravan is a good few years old - perhaps 10.

H'mm. Still, today's H & S would apply perhaps.

45 minutes ago, BOAC said:

The control that you've shown is the thermostat is for the gas, the electrical heater is fixed but I'm sure you could install an external stat in the power supply to the heater element - ideally one with a remote sensor that you could slide under the insulation or even a fixed temperature switch set to the temperature that you desire like this - loads to choose from - https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/plug-in-timers-time-switches/thermal-switches

One of these would be evens better https://www.amazon.co.uk/AC90V-250V-Temperature-Thermocouple-Refrigeration-Sunlera/dp/B07M7Z3FY2?ref_=Oct_UPriceC_6286448031_3&pf_rd_r=0KE3QS6VD2J0CWRTQA0Z&pf_rd_p=ef99ebe6-c956-5fc5-9c42-c7953654b3e4&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=6286448031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE although you'd need to check it's switching capacity and possibly add a relay if it's insufficient.

There's loads of stuff out there to modify it, it just takes a bit of thinking about although we've never had a problem with the water being too hot.

Edited by matelodave

See here:-

560382690_Ultrastorepage.jpg.d2bf24f48641246624d50dd54a3d080a.jpg

If the water heater is working correctly the water temperature will not exceed 70C. If its not correct the water will boil and you will certainly know about it.  Mixer taps are for controlling the temperature at the basin.

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

The control that you've shown is the thermostat is for the gas ......................

A thermostat is a thermostat surely. Is there any difference between gas and the leccie one.

Honest question and trying to learn the difference

10 minutes ago, BOAC said:

A thermostat is a thermostat surely. Is there any difference between gas and the leccie one.

If you look at my picture in the second post, the electric thermostat is shown attached to the yellow wires.    It's set to switch off at 70C.   In their wisdom, Truma thought it was only the gas that needed an adjustable thermostat.

17 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Honest question and trying to learn the difference

As said the thermostatic control is only for the gas. The electric heater element has a fixed temperature switch which is not adjustable  but would be pretty easy to swap for one with a more suitable temperature operating point.

Make sure you get one with N/C contacts, ie one that opens at the set temperature

• Like 1