kelper

Cheap kit for measuring nose weight

I put a broom handle through the hook and straddle the hitch, bend my knees and keep my back straight.  But your suggestion is a good one.  Or my wife can share the load.

on a twin axle van the only possible way of getting a 100% correct nose weight reading is weighing it at the exact same height as the towbar on the towing vehicle, if you jack up the front of t/a van then it will read higher than if you let jockey wheel  off, so using any device will not read correctly if its a different height than towball, much easier on a single wheel van

phil   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kelper said:

I put a broom handle through the hook and straddle the hitch, bend my knees and keep my back straight.  But your suggestion is a good one.  Or my wife can share the load.

what the sky hook or triangle:rolleyes:

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:29, Steamdrivenandy said:

I inherited a red plastic square profile gauge with my first used caravan.

After a while I invested in a Milenco and it showed that the cheap plastic device was over reading by about 20kg. This meant I could add an extra 20kg to the nose and improved the rigs stability. Then one day I found the Milenco in two halves in its bag. Happily Milenco swapped it by return. 

My cheap towsure gauge and bathroom scales bought read around the same as the Milenco, but I use the latter since I bought it.

The ops idea isn't practical in my opinion, but I have seen the towing tests using something  similar, but the Milenco is much easier to use especially on site before departure.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:38, oldboy said:

Once I load my caravan  nothing is added or taken away the weight stay the same the dynamic of the caravan stay the same can't see the point of checking the nose weight every time I hitch up.

My caravan NW always shows a different weight after a tour, mainly because the fridge is empty and the wine has gone.

10 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

The ops idea isn't practical in my opinion,

Please explain.  I've done it so it must be practical. :)  I used to clean and jerk 120kg.

8 hours ago, kelper said:

If I had to try and lift 70-90 kg before going on holiday I would instead be going to hospital for the injuries and no way could I expect any help and risk injuries to somebody else. I will stick with the bathroom scales occasional check and loading the caravan the same each time which is not difficult since it is kept in storage so everything goes in the car.

Actually, it's getting academic now.  The payload of my caravan is 50kg and the motor mover weighs 31kg....................:D

9 hours ago, kelper said:

Please explain.  I've done it so it must be practical. :)  I used to clean and jerk 120kg.

So you carry out your weight lifting exercise on site before departure?

With a 100kg nose weight I think I'll stick to letting the jockey wheel take the load, using a milenco type guage.