kelper

Cheap kit for measuring nose weight

I have been using a Balanzza luggage scale to check my nose weight.  (wife says I have a big nose).  It's within a kilo weighing a full and empty 25-litre water drum, but it only goes up to 44kg.  I'm considering buying a load cell as designated nose weight gauges are expensive and useful for nothing else.  Has anyone used an HC-100 mine crane scale?  There are various brands but I think they are all made by HeiWang.  The one I fancy is about £20.  I'm aiming for 70kg so might use a lever and fulcrum just to take the jockey wheel off the ground.  This unit will be light and easy to store (pocket size).

balanzza.png

mini crane scale.jpg

Edited by kelper
typo's

So you save £12 (Milenco calibrated is about £32) against something which could stop your outfit handling poorly?

for me a bathroom scale a bit wood is good enough

• Like 4

I  got 1 from Amazon about  20 quid a lot less fuss than scales and wood and I  can check every time I hitch up.

There are loads of ways to measure noseweight. The cheapest is a  pair of bathroom scales borrowed from home and a piece of wood.

The easiest is a proper noseweight gauge. The most accurate cost £££. With plenty of options in between.

For my money a reasonable quality noseweight gauge such as Maypole is adequately accurate, easy and not too expensive. (around £15).

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

So you save £12 (Milenco calibrated is about £32) against something which could stop your outfit handling poorly?

Eh?  Why can't my gauge do the same job as the Milenco?  It's probably more accurate since it does not rely on a spring.

55 minutes ago, the gasman said:

I  got 1 from Amazon about  20 quid a lot less fuss than scales and wood and I  can check every time I hitch up.

Which one did you get?

I inherited a red plastic square profile gauge with my first used caravan.

After a while I invested in a Milenco and it showed that the cheap plastic device was over reading by about 20kg. This meant I could add an extra 20kg to the nose and improved the rigs stability. Then one day I found the Milenco in two halves in its bag. Happily Milenco swapped it by return. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

I bought the Milenco Calibrated Gauge in August 2018 [1 week after buying our first caravan!] from a local caravan dealer but paid £39.95. Must have seen me coming :D. So far, it's working out at £20 per use!

Steve

17 hours ago, oldboy said:

for me a bathroom scale a bit wood is good enough

+1 . That's all I use and good enough.

Dave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reich-Tlc-Towball-Load-Control-Nose-Weight-Gauge-single-Axle-Caravan-/173927056259

Nothing wrong with bathroom scales and piece of wood  ( the right length ), but this Reich device is light and portable.    :)

John.    

Edited by Leedslad

Once I load my caravan  nothing is added or taken away the weight stay the same the dynamic of the caravan stay the same can't see the point of checking the nose weight every time I hitch up.

Edited by oldboy

That's why I'm looking for a general-purpose scale, rather than a designated nose gauge.

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reich-Tlc-Towball-Load-Control-Nose-Weight-Gauge-single-Axle-Caravan-/173927056259

Nothing wrong with bathroom scales and piece of wood  ( the right length ), but this Reich device is light and portable.    :)

John.    

This Reich unit is probably the best all rounder in terms of ease of use, compact size, accuracy and reasonable price point.

But doesn't the Reich add two inches to the towball height and thus affect the reading?  Especially on a twin-axle?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kelper said:

I have been using a Balanzza luggage scale to check my nose weight.  (wife says I have a big nose).  It's within a kilo weighing a full and empty 25-litre water drum, but it only goes up to 44kg.  I'm considering buying a load cell as designated nose weight gauges are expensive and useful for nothing else.  Has anyone used an HC-100 mine crane scale?  There are various brands but I think they are all made by HeiWang.  The one I fancy is about £20.  I'm aiming for 70kg so might use a lever and fulcrum just to take the jockey wheel off the ground.  This unit will be light and easy to store (pocket size).

balanzza.png

mini crane scale.jpg

Just use what you have but with a  cord looped under the hitch, then back to the scale so the scale reads the tension in the cord.

That is, make a handle to hold the scale handle and one end of the cord, run the cord under the hitch body and back up to the hook end of the scale. So hitch is lifted by the two sides of the cord, then the scale only reads half the hicth load.

Place cord where it can readily slip, or if you want to spend more money use a pulley block.

It is a standard method of using these sort of scales for overloads.

Even with a pulley the tension would not be the same in both sides so it wouldn't be very accurate.

2 minutes ago, kelper said:

Even with a pulley the tension would not be the same in both sides so it wouldn't be very accurate.

Why would the tension in the cord not be the same both sides of a pulley? Only if there is excessive friction, which there will not be.

Find a smooth enough bit under the hitch, say push back the gaiter to expose the shaft and you don't need the pulley to be way accurate enough for this task.

Pulleys have been used for centuries as a way to divide loads, that is precisely what they do.

36 minutes ago, kelper said:

But doesn't the Reich add two inches to the towball height and thus affect the reading?  Especially on a twin-axle?

Maybe Reich have already considered that?

John.

Best for checking noseweight is the Reich weight gauge and you can check the whole caravan weight .

https://www.marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPQQ007305&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfaNo83m4gIViL_tCh35iwuvEAQYBCABEgJ5PfD_BwE

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

Why would the tension in the cord not be the same both sides of a pulley? Only if there is excessive friction, which there will not be.

Find a smooth enough bit under the hitch, say push back the gaiter to expose the shaft and you don't need the pulley to be way accurate enough for this task.

Pulleys have been used for centuries as a way to divide loads, that is precisely what they do.

Pulleys can have efficiencies as low as 80% and so your system could have errors of up to 40%.  It depends on so many factors.  The stretch of the line is a major factor.  Errors are greater for static loads.  Heres some good reading.  (I'm a mechanical engineer :) )

http://itrsonline.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/McKently2011_ITRSPresentation.pdf

Edited by kelper

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Maybe Reich have already considered that?

John.

They have, allegedly the software in the device compensates.  There are also two versions, one for single axles the other for twins.  Brilliant bit of kit.  Unfortunately I have an SA version spare (if anyone’s interested in buying it)  having traded up from a SA to TA.

DrBob

33 minutes ago, kelper said:

Pulleys can have efficiencies as low as 80% and so your system could have errors of up to 40%.  It depends on so many factors.  The stretch of the line is a major factor.  Errors are greater for static loads.  Heres some good reading.  (I'm a mechanical engineer :) )

http://itrsonline.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/McKently2011_ITRSPresentation.pdf

Surprisingly then the reference you table is unfortunately here irrelevant. It being for a quite fast dynamic case,  whereas  we are discussing  a static case.

Being static no "work" is involved so no losses , and it follows no inefficiency. Thus, none of the  stretch, flexing and  dynamic friction losses they were encountering play any part.

There can be a difference in the load on each side of the cord due to the static friction, but my assessment is this will be the odd kg, not a 40% error.

It would have been a solution to counter you not having an adequately rated scale, one of greatly less error than you suggest, but never mind.

Static friction is higher..........................

Well, I bought this scale for £20 and it's very good.  It beeps when the weight is steady and 'holds' the info.  It's accurate at 25kg (weighed a drum of water) and, of course, it will weigh the holiday suitcases.  

image.png.44e74bd998c842f72a1984b899bcb801.png

how do you hold it up so that it can measure a  70-90kg noseweight. I'm not suggesting that it can't do the job, but even trying to weigh a 25- 30kg suitcase with a luggage scale isn't the easiest thing to do.

I'd struggle to do it without hanging it from  some sort of support - sky hook maybe;)

Perhaps a couple of supports as a triangle from the ground to above the hitch with a hinge and the scale hanging from the apex would do the job.

Edited by matelodave