Sign in to follow this  
muso68

Draught from fridge vents

Posted (edited)

Hi, I’m in a very cold, windy far west Cornwall  at the mo and I’ve got a huge draught coming from underneath and from the units each side of the under-counter Dometic fridge. There is a gap under the fridge and lots of gaps at the back of the units each side of the fridge, where the units are cut to fit around the wheel arch, etc. 

The caravan has recently come back from an insurance repair to the caravan side that meant the fridge was removed, so I don’t know whether the repairer (one of the biggest in Somerset) left something off or if I’ve just not been in weather this cold before, but my question is - will it cause any problems if I seal the internal gaps under and around the fridge, so that it’s only being ventilated at the back thro the external vents?

Thanks very much for reading.

Edited by muso68

Posted (edited)

On no account should you seal the vents through the floor/under the fridge.   They are there in the event of a gas leak with any gas escaping through the drop vents.   There is normally a sealing plate fitted above the fridge to insulate from any draught entering through the two rear vents.    Perhaps yours has been omitted by your repairers.    I've just had my fridge out and fitted between the fridge top and the underside of the worktop was a compressed roll of glass fibre mat which effectually cuts of any draught.   You could unscrew your top vent and have a look.   If it's missing, see your repairer.

Edited by Jaydug

Thanks for that. I was only referring to sealing the gap under the fridge at the bottom front edge, under the door and the gaps in the plywood carcassing where it meets the wall and wheel arch behind the fridge. There is no draught or gap at the top of the fridge.

There is no way I would block floor vents or the 2 external vent grilles.

The fridge should be completely sealed off from the habitation area and the adjoining cupboards during installation (and re-installation).  Only the rear of the fridge should be vented to the outside world!

However many caravan manufacturers do not seal the fridge dreadfully well and it appears repairers don't bother either.

Download, read and follow the fridge makers installation guide ref the compartment sealing?

I'd have no hesitation in blocking off the bottom front edge.  Nor the gaps between the fridge bulkhead and adjacent cupboards etc where cables and pipes run, and have done so in the past.  One brand new caravan (Swift Group) had a V-shaped, self-adhesive plastic strip supplied.  It fitted perfectly atop the Thetford fridge to fill a gap where you could see daylight from the external vents!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

I'd have no hesitation in blocking off the bottom front edge.

I have often thought about doing that but then been put off having assumed the builder had taken advice from Electrolux.   My fridge sits about two inches off the floor with two mesh covered drop vents set in the floor.    One of which is not too far away behind the front edge, consequently in winter some cold draughts can sweep across the floor. 

IMG_20190612_172733.jpg.73e39227ee3a8a3395c018a8d15d9b37.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

The fridge should be completely sealed off from the habitation area and the adjoining cupboards during installation (and re-installation).  Only the rear of the fridge should be vented to the outside world!

However many caravan manufacturers do not seal the fridge dreadfully well and it appears repairers don't bother either.

Download, read and follow the fridge makers installation guide ref the compartment sealing?

I'd have no hesitation in blocking off the bottom front edge.  Nor the gaps between the fridge bulkhead and adjacent cupboards etc where cables and pipes run, and have done so in the past.  One brand new caravan (Swift Group) had a V-shaped, self-adhesive plastic strip supplied.  It fitted perfectly atop the Thetford fridge to fill a gap where you could see daylight from the external vents!

Thanks for that. It’s as I thought, but with caravans it’s always best to check!

14 hours ago, Jaydug said:

I have often thought about doing that but then been put off having assumed the builder had taken advice from Electrolux.   My fridge sits about two inches off the floor with two mesh covered drop vents set in the floor.    One of which is not too far away behind the front edge, consequently in winter some cold draughts can sweep across the floor. 

IMG_20190612_172733.jpg.73e39227ee3a8a3395c018a8d15d9b37.jpg

I understand now why you mentioned not blocking  floor vents earlier. Do you have wall vents at the back of the fridge in addition to the floor vents?

42 minutes ago, muso68 said:

I understand now why you mentioned not blocking  floor vents earlier. Do you have wall vents at the back of the fridge in addition to the floor vents?

Yes, there are the two usual cooling vents but the lower edge of the bottom one is eight inches up from the floor.  

I have a Bailey P2 Rimini and that has vents that look like that slot... one under the cooker and one under one bed...  They have plastic covers behind that divert 90 degrees to cutouts in the floor.  They are fixed low level ventilators for the habitation areas.  If (when) I get a cold draught via those due to the wind direction prevailing they get plugged (temporarily) with off-cuts of foam pipe insulation. 

There's plenty of other ventilation in the caravan.

The fridge should be room sealed and only the rear needs have ventilation - both for the heat exchanger to work efficiently and the gas combustion products to escape externally.

On 13/06/2019 at 10:31, Rodders53 said:

The fridge should be room sealed and only the rear needs have ventilation - both for the heat exchanger to work efficiently and the gas combustion products to escape externally.

Thanks for confirming that. The wheel arch protrudes into the units each side of the fridge and the sink is right next to the fridge, so because of poor Lunar scribing, there are loads of gaps for draughts to leak into the interior from the rear vents.

I’ve patched some of them, but without a major rebuild, I will have to turn the heating up and wear thick socks!