BFM

Good heavens! France is full!

It has been our routine for quite a few years now to book the tunnel to Calais and a few weeks later to book to return. In between, we wander around to virtually empty campsites grateful for our patronage. Not this year. All the sites we have visited have been full - and the site we are currently on in St Raphael is turning people away! Nobody is quite sure what is happening. One theory is that the weather over much of France is poor, squeezing everyone into the same few areas. Another is that there must be some sort of German holiday as there are a large number of Germans around. Has anyone else noticed? We'll be leaving our current site tomorrow as we have been upset by the staff there (PS: if you want to be thought of as a 5 star campsite you have to have SOME idea of customer service).

Anything to do with the womens world cup football ?

Well, that's something I hadn't considered!

Depending where you are in France it could also be people coming to Normandy for D-Day celebrations; we were there just before the 70th and it was definitely filling up by the time we left

Not busy on the Atlantic Coast, was busier over the french bank holiday but still not busy - weather however is awful and has been for several weeks.

If the weather is awful now I put money on a lovely autumn in France.

5 hours ago, BFM said:

Another is that there must be some sort of German holiday as there are a large number of Germans around.

Two German states, Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria, have two weeks of half-term school holidays at the moment.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Two German states, Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria, have two weeks of half-term school holidays at the moment.

They have, and our site here is full of them, partying at the moment!

My car alarm will be going off at 8,00am, 8.05, 8.10 etc!

keep me awake at your peril!

Edited by PR1

13 minutes ago, PR1 said:

They have, and our site here is full of them, partying at the moment!

My car alarm will be going off at 8,00am, 8.05, 8.10 etc!

keep me awake at your peril!

Father in law used to have a solid way of dealing with this - he would flick bread crumbs onto the roofs of caravans with late night party animals in it - the birds going mad on the roof at 5am kept him amused (he has always been an early riser!)

Just entered week 3 and French site number 4,  all nearly empty.

Yes, the weather is absolutely awful.

John

8 hours ago, JCloughie said:

John

It is's any consolation it's absolutely awful in the UK too.  It's cold, wet, and more like October/November than June.    At the moment it says it's nine degrees - our garden thermometer shows slightly less - and the sky is a uniform grey.  There is a high forecast for today of eleven degrees.  Mind you, where we should be in France is only eleven degrees, with a high of thirteen!  

9 hours ago, JCloughie said:

John

Been in France for about a month! Only one poor day, yesterday when it rained all day! Back to clear blue skys  today, and 24.

Where in France are you?   Everyone I know says it's cold and 'not like June at all'.

14 minutes ago, ValA said:

Where in France are you?   Everyone I know says it's cold and 'not like June at all'.

Hi Val.

Le Barcares, Just North of Perpignan.

Usual spot for a month or so!

We’ve been out here for 9 nights now, Bien Assise was quiet but had been full the weekend before we arrived with vans parked on grass verges as well as pitches, La Vallée was about 2/3 full and Haliotis is very quiet about 1/8 full.

Weather has been very poor with heavy rain including thunder last night.

Ian

We're going on Saturday to Albert - the long term forecast looks quite good so keeping fingers crossed.     I have booked the site though as I didn't want to be turned away as there aren't many more in that particular area. 

53 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

We’ve been out here for 9 nights now, Bien Assise was quiet but had been full the weekend before we arrived with vans parked on grass verges as well as pitches...

Ascension, which is a public holiday in France, was on the 30th May.

Not here* it's not! We're the only ones on a beautiful little municipal and have been for 10 days.

*name withheld to avoid the crowds!

Setting off for Le Capeyrou at Beynac  tomorrow, arrive Friday. Site normally very busy and we always book as people often turned away in June. Friends been down there for 4 days and weather cold and wet. The goods news is that from Sunday on it improves dramatically so hopefully we will be ok.

Edited by ascsbe

Wherever you go you have to take pot luck with the weather, France has had 10% less rain so far this year than the national average and some wells  and bore holes are running low.

The weather is picking up as from tomorrow, but just think about us who live here and could be running short of water! 

Meteo France shows better weather soon, we are over Sunday probably going to Ardeche or Auvergne. 

Horrible in Shropshire until Monday but we are stopping at Folkestone Saturday south has better outlook!

We came over on 20th May to Ypres the site was full. 2 nights later we went to Olivet near Orleans and the owner said her takings we’re down by 30%. From there we went La Paille Basse in Souillac and there were only about 6 units there. From there we went to Bois Soleil at St George de Didonne where we still are. I have never seen so many empty pitches in about the 20 years we have been coming here.

Les

It sounds as though it is variable, then. We had a falling out with the site we were on (planned a fortnight, left after 4 days) and have moved across to Gard where we have found a charming little site with plenty of space. It also has that lovely, opalescent blue sky that the Med does so well. Off to Aigues-Mort for the day, I suspect.

22 hours ago, PR1 said:

Hi Val.

Le Barcares, Just North of Perpignan.

Usual spot for a month or so!

Is there space? We were thinking of heading that way in a week or so, and my usual go-to, Criques de Porteils  outside Argeles sur Mer is showing as pretty full - although you have to be careful which site to ask for as it is steeply terraced and taxing with a big rig.

17 minutes ago, BFM said:

It sounds as though it is variable, then. We had a falling out with the site we were on (planned a fortnight, left after 4 days)l

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you fall out with a campsite?

• Going over, Hull - Zeebrugge this weekend and heading south in search of summer.     :D

John.