kelper

Advice, please, on optimum nose weight

I am about to tow a caravan for the first time.  Car is a 2-litre Skoda Yeti with DSG.  Caravan is a little Freedom Jetstream, max laden weight is 750kg.  The max nose weight for towbar and car is 85kg.  Max nose weight for caravan is 70kg.

Currently, the nose weight is 30kg or 37kg if I add a second gas bottle to the locker.  Six percent of the caravan's 750kg weight is 45kg.  So, what would be the optimuum nose weight?  n searching the internet and this forum for days and still am not sure if I should add weight or just test it.  The hitch is an Al-Ko.

I've been searching the internet and this forum for several days but am still not sure.

I would use 4% not 6% but in your case it does not matter anyway since you are towing a small caravan behind a very competent tow car.

• Thanks 1

I would load to 70kg, as a higher nose weight usually means a more stable tow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I would agree with Mecamero.

37Kg should be OK, 45Kg would put you bang in the middle of the oft quoted 5 to 7%, but anecdotally 70Kg is better.

You are spoilt for choice!

• Thanks 1

I would be aiming at 65-70kg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll load the awning and see what difference it makes!

If Google  is correct you have a max nose load of 50kg?

23 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Practical Caravan Magazine

Towing

Despite carrying the extra weight of the four-wheel-drive transmission, the Yeti is not especially heavy. Including 75kg for the driver, the Yeti has a kerbweight of 1535kg, which gives an 85% match figure of 1305kg. The towball limit is a very respectable 80kg.

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car/29840-skoda-yeti

Random figures people throw out are useless. Its all very well saying go for 70kg, but figures like this are purely guess work. Weight is on your side as the noseweight is quite low.

Load it up to say 50kg noseweight and try it out on the road, preferably a busy motorway if one is near. How stable does it feel? Then try 60kg. Does this make it better or worse, or no different? Then perhaps up to 70kg or down to 40kg. I wouldn't go much lower than this as the noseweight unloads the faster you go.

This way you will find a sweet spot range where it is stable. This will determine how careful you need to be with the noseweight.

42 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Random figures people throw out are useless. Its all very well saying go for 70kg, but figures like this are purely guess work. Weight is on your side as the noseweight is quite low.

70Kg is hardly a random figure! According to the OP it is the acceptable maximum for the caravan according to the manufacturer.

A common practice, and anecdotal evidence suggests that it is generally good, is to go for the lower of the two limits, the car makers stated maximum and the caravan makers stated maximum.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Practical Caravan Magazine

I meant nose load of the caravan, not the car.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, AndersG said:

It isn't.  :D

IMG_20190601_102628571.thumb.jpg.b0f02b0793a2dc7bf81441b2efcd4259.jpg

Edited by kelper

Personally I would be happy with 50kg. But would suck it and see. 

If you go for a light weight be careful if you go in the caravan at the back without the steadies down since it might lift the front end.

I've seen that done before!

24 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I've seen that done before!

On dealer forecourts, too! :lol:

Generally speaking the heavier the better. Think of a tripod where the three legs comprise the ends of the axle(s) and the towhitch that share the load equally. Unfortunately towcar manufacturers set a limit way below a third of the caravan's weight, and so I would advise anybody to set the noseweight to the lower of the three limits imposed by the towcar, the towbar, or the caravan hitch manufacturers. Often this will be around 100kgs, but may be higher or lower for a combination of towing vehicle and trailer/caravan.

19 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

If you go for a light weight be careful if you go in the caravan at the back without the steadies down since it might lift the front end.

Others disagree but a good rule is never to enter a caravan unless at least the rear corner steadies are deployed.

Gordon

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Others disagree but a good rule is never to enter a caravan unless at least the rear corner steadies are deployed.

Gordon

The only circs where I disagree are that if you are rigorous in not going behind the axle, then it's fine

The "best" noseweight is always "as heavy as possible without exceeding any limits" - in the OP's case, that's 75kg.

3 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

The only circs where I disagree are that if you are rigorous in not going behind the axle, then it's fine

My last two caravans had/have enough noseweight to counter my weight, even in the rear.

On 11/06/2019 at 11:27, thebriars said:

Load it up to say 50kg noseweight and try it out on the road, preferably a busy motorway if one is near. How stable does it feel?

I'd have to drive south for four-and-a-half hours to find a motorway!:D

12 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The "best" noseweight is always "as heavy as possible without exceeding any limits" - in the OP's case, that's 75kg.

Yes, as heavy as possible without exceeding any limits but 75kg exceeds his nose weight limit as I understand it in post #1.

• Haha 1