Sign in to follow this  
mprcomp

Opinions on van

We have managed to get someone to buy our Adria Tamar so it's what to buy in it's place. We are going to go cheaper then save money to onside incase of a rainy day with any van we buy. Are options are as follows:-

1) Private Bailey 646 - good deal on it. Comes with lots of extras although only need the air awning and mover if honest. Quite far away nearly 5 hour drive. Has locks and all sorts.

2) Dealer 646 - Manage to haggle abit. Difference between private and dealer is 1686 pounds. They going to put a pro evolution twin on and give us 300 pounds for shop. Also has 3 year warranty.

3) Private Elddis 646 - Private - Good price but lots of awning damage. Guys says quote of 500 pounds and no mover so that would put the 646 above price of the private elddis.

What would people do? Decided two reasons to get rid of Tamar. 1 7 months of pain with damp 2. Feel it's a bit small hence the twin. 

For me, when spending a lot of money i prefer the option of using a dealer for peace of mind with the warranty and a bit more security/leverage if something goes wrong.

• Like 2

I would be very reluctant to spend a significant amount of money on a private purchase for the reasons Gary has given.

I would certainly never drive 5 hours to look at a van, it puts you under too much pressure to buy if there is something not quite right about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I would certainly never drive 5 hours to look at a van, it puts you under too much pressure to buy if there is something not quite right about it.

I completely understand your reasoning but we're all different, and I have driven over 400 miles each way to check out a potential purchase that looked particularly good "on paper". On that occasion (Nov 2005) I did in fact buy it, but had it leaked or been damaged I would have been perfectly happy to walk away, knowing that a day of my time and fuel costs were all I had paid to avoid a potential disaster.

Gordon.

If you but privately who is going to carry out any warranty work, if necessary, warranty would normally be the original dealer, how far away from you are they?

If it were me, I would be looking at the dealer's offering, depending again on how far you have to travel, if/when you need warranty work.

I would be looking at the dealer, paying a deposit using a credit card and putting between £4-5000 on Hire Purchase finance over 3 years for added protection.  Look on the interest paid as paying "Gap insurance".  At the moment APR rates are very favourable.

I would go for option 2 you only need to pay £100 on your credit card to ensure you’re fully protected. There isn’t much in it cost wise and your getting a new motormover included with the dealer and the private seller is 5 hours to far.

Avoid option 3. If there is lots of awning damage, then this suggests someone who is none to careful or very inexperienced with caravans. Either way that probably won't be the only damage!

Thanks for your opinions.  A spanner in works found a Swift 636 2012 so it's two years younger than others and has the sunroof so a bit brighter inside and it's 1K more than dealer offer for Bailey 646.

My only worry or niggle is if the swift leaks it's all word boards inside. I know if bailey leaks its the floor that is affected as AluTec. The Bailey 646 will have 3-year warranty but a bit more dated and not as light inside. 

I think wife prefers the 636 but it's an extra 1K and if it's not right could cost us a lot. It's currently in for service now so I suppose would have up to date damp report to check.

Interesting that a dealer would service a caravan before it has been sold. Whenever buying cars any thing like that is done once it has a buyer since it can be wasted money if it does not sell or takes a long time to sell and needs doing again. Something to query, might be just to comply with manufacturer warranty dates or they might be doing repairs. A seller might provide a good damp report to help it sell so I would still check yourself.

12 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

might be just to comply with manufacturer warranty dates

Doubt that there is any manufacturer's warranty as some are restricted to 6 years on the water ingress warranty when transferred to a second owner. Not sure about Swift

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Something to query, might be just to comply with manufacturer warranty dates

Up to you to ask...but sounds doubtful. It's your money.

geoff

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear it's the private van that is having a service. The dealer van won't be serviced I wouldn't have thought. It's a privately backed warranty for three years as long as you get it serviced there I think.

I’d go for the Swift it’s a much more modern👍

8 minutes ago, Damienbrown84 said:

I’d go for the Swift it’s a much more modern👍

Thanks for that. It is much more modern looking but still use old methods so if water gets in the panels get wet that is only concern. 

It is commonly known that SOME 2012 Swifts had the wrong sealant used on the front windows resulting in damp in that area.

The OP says Bailey 646 - but which model and year? My guess would be a Pegasus which if it has all the bells and whistles will be a 2010 or very early 2011. The Pegasus was top of the range when it came out in 2010 but they brought out the Unicorn in 2011 and downgraded the Pegasus.

If it is a 2010 Pegasus it came with a 10 year body warranty (before anyone argues, 6 years plus four years extra free) which makes it a good reason to buy from the dealer BUT for the warranty to still be running it needs to have been serviced every year within +/- 4wks of the <original> date of sale (i.e. the date when it left the showroom to the first buyer.) If it hasn't been serviced then you only have the dealer warranty, but if it has you are laughing.

If it is a Pegasus look carefully in the front side lockers - get them to take the black trays out - to make sure there is no water ingress or staining of the floor timber Similarly get on your hands and knees and look at the outer floor under the front end to make sure there is no water damage/rot there either. If there is it will be covered under the Bailey body warranty. A common cause of water ingress was poorly sealed front handles.

Make sure the axles are good - although it should not be an issue. There should be at least 25mm (1 inch) clearance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch liner and there should be no signs of rubbing. If the spacing is less than 25mm or there are signs of rubbing walk away. These indicate a relaxed axle and you are talking well north of a grand each to replace.

Make sure it has the right size tyres fitted - they should be 185/65R14 93N.

Make sure the spare wheel carrier and spare wheel are still present, that the carrier retaining thumbwheel is free and that the wheel carrier is not seized, and that the tyres are in good state all round. Particularly check the date code on the edge of the tyres just above the rim. A code of 2613 means they were made in week 26 of 2013. If the tyres are 7 years old you will have to have them replaced to get a service badge: if they are over five years old they will need checking. Either way give them a good look over with a torch to make sure there is no cracking around the outside edges of the tread and/or in the bottom of the tread gulleys.

If all is still good or the dealer will fix any issues then don't be afraid to buy it. We had a Peg 462 and AFAIAC it was the best van we ever had. Lots of little issues at first service but all were fixed without question.

Two last things: the Pegasus range of 2010 came with (full) Tracker fitted as standard. Even though you may not want to use Tracker, it is also an alarm - make sure you get the plips with the keys.  Also get the dealer to confirm that the Tracker back-up battery is in good state - it retains the alarm setting and activation for up to a month if the leisure battery is removed. The other thing is that the Alu-Tech body has a tendency to change shape slightly when it heats up and cools down on a hot day. On one occasion we could not open the door because of this - the handle would not pull the bolt back far enough. The secret? Insert the key and use the rotation of the key to turn the whole lock mechanism which will open the door.

Good luck.

Edited by Woodentop

On 11/06/2019 at 20:10, mprcomp said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear it's the private van that is having a service. The dealer van won't be serviced I wouldn't have thought. It's a privately backed warranty for three years as long as you get it serviced there I think.

There is no such thing as a privately backed warranty if buying privately.   There is no warranty, there is no cover if something goes wrong and you are on your own.  If the caravan has been serviced regularly in accordance if the servicing schedule then maybe the rest of the warranty can be transferred.

Please remember that the damp warranty if it can be transferred covers only permanently sealed joins and if you get a leak around the window on a caravan bought on a private sale even though you transferred the warranty, it will not be covered.  If you are unsure please read the Swift owner's manual.

Want a Private Warranty???

http://www.mbginsurance.co.uk/products-services/caravan/

I bought,via  a dealer selling commission only, my current 'van....a 'Private Warranty' was issued with these people,which I have claimed against three times, all  electrical matters....but it is an annual 'thing' and costs, in my case about £180 a year..........

geoff

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

There is no such thing as a privately backed warranty if buying privately.   There is no warranty, there is no cover if something goes wrong and you are on your own.  If the caravan has been serviced regularly in accordance if the servicing schedule then maybe the rest of the warranty can be transferred.

Please remember that the damp warranty if it can be transferred covers only permanently sealed joins and if you get a leak around the window on a caravan bought on a private sale even though you transferred the warranty, it will not be covered.  If you are unsure please read the Swift owner's manual.

What I mean is the warranty is from the dealers third-party provider a bit like shipbroker has. 

20 hours ago, mprcomp said:

What I mean is the warranty is from the dealers third-party provider a bit like shipbroker has. 

Total waste of money especially when CRA 2015 over rides any silly warranty offered by the dealer at a cost.  If the dealer is trying to sell a warranty I would walk away as that is a dealer trying to duck their responsibilities.

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Total waste of money especially when CRA 2015 over rides any silly warranty offered by the dealer at a cost.  If the dealer is trying to sell a warranty I would walk away as that is a dealer trying to duck their responsibilities.

Not necessarily, on a used van an insurance backed third party warranty may provide additional cover over and above the CRA provisions. The CRA gets into some very grey areas when looking at time limits on various items, but a warranty may be clearer

The small print needs to be read very carefully.

The MBG warranties are usually pretty good.

5 hours ago, Benny65 said:

The MBG warranties are usually pretty good.

Certainly my experience of them is excellent...I even cover my motor mover now.

geoff

On 10/06/2019 at 21:20, GaryB1969 said:

For me, when spending a lot of money i prefer the option of using a dealer for peace of mind.

From experience, dealers give me no peace of mind whatsoever.

• Like 1