Land

C Tec smart chargers

Hi

Any one out there use one of these chargers when always hooked whilst caravan is not being used.

I have 2017 VIP but the battery seems to over charge and needs refilling with water I know it's supposed to cut out when fully charged by Van's charger but I dont think this is happening.

Richard

I use a C-Tec on my Vision 545 and have used a C-Tec on previous Coachman and other makes.

I have also used C-Tec equipment on classic cars and motor cycles.

In my opinion C-Tec is efficient, effective and reliable although a little expensive.

You can use the C-tec conditioning/maintenance charger with the battery in-situ but you must remember of turn off the mains supply from the hook up.  I have permanently attached the C-Tec battery harness so all I need to do is plug in the charger and switch it on.  The crocodile clip attachments can b used but I'd rather use the permanent fixings.

The alternative is to remove the battery to charge it.

As far as I know you can't switch off the vans internal charger so every time you use the hook up you'll have the overcharge issue.  You need to get the caravan charger checked - I have heard that other owners have had a similar experience but I don't know how they resolved it.  A Coachman dealer should advise. 

• Thanks 1

I have a CTEK charger and sometimes leave it plugged in for weeks on end, I’ve never had an issue but I do have an AGM Battery.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For a battery to start gassing, thereby losing electrolyte, a charge in excess of  14.8 or 15.0 volts needs to be applied.

A lot of caravans have "float" chargers that provide a constant voltage, normally in the 13.6 to 13.8 range, so no danger of overcharging, but you need a multimeter to check the voltage if you are experiencing gassing.

At home I use a CTEK MXS-5 connected directly to the van battery, and turn the onboard charger off when connected to EHU at home.

I do not use the conditioning phase on the charger because this introduces the gassing you are trying to avoid.

Edit: And NEVER use the conditioning phase with an AGM battery because they have far less electrolyte than a normal flooded battery, and you can't top them up.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

11 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

For a battery to start gassing, thereby losing electrolyte, a charge in excess of  14.8 or 15.0 volts needs to be applied.

A lot of caravans have "float" chargers that provide a constant voltage, normally in the 13.6 to 13.8 range, so no danger of overcharging, but you need a multimeter to check the voltage if you are experiencing gassing.

At home I use a CTEK MXS-5 connected directly to the van battery, and turn the onboard charger off when connected to EHU at home.

I do not use the conditioning phase on the charger because this introduces the gassing you are trying to avoid.

Edit: And NEVER use the conditioning phase with an AGM battery because they have far less electrolyte than a normal flooded battery, and you can't top them up.

12 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

As a qualified electrician in the eighties I have fitted a switched fuse spur to isolate the charger so I could use the ctec while still hooked up to mains at home the solar panel keeps it topped up for about 25 days but eventually the alarm goes off due to battery voltage.

Never had a problem with my last swift as you could control the charger with it's own switch.

1 hour ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

The CTEK chargers have an ‘AGM’ mode, select that and it does it’s funky thing, no worries.

• Thanks 1