Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hair Bear

1994 Alko wheel bearings

Recommended Posts

Hi, I've read somewhere that older Alko's have taper bearings and newer ones have sealed ball race types.

Before I get it all in bits, can anyone give an idea of what I'm likely to find on a 1994 Gruau 37DT?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hair Bear said:

Hi, I've read somewhere that older Alko's have taper bearings and newer ones have sealed ball race types.

Before I get it all in bits, can anyone give an idea of what I'm likely to find on a 1994 Gruau 37DT?

Thanks.

 

In 1994 it could be either.   Euro axles started appearing in 1992 but my van which was a 1995model still had tapered bearings.   Best to take a look.   Prise off the cup on the outer rim of the hub - if there's grease in there, you've got tapered bearings.   If it's more or less dry, it's a Euro axle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also if it has a castellated nut with split pin they are tapered, i am actually going to be doing mine soon, just purchased a bearing grease packer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ldsundance said:

 a bearing grease packer

 

Mark One finger 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks all, am I right in thinking the euro axle needs the entire drum replaced or can the bearings be pressed out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hair Bear said:

Thanks all, am I right in thinking the euro axle needs the entire drum replaced or can the bearings be pressed out?

 

 

Alko will tell you that you need to get replacement hubs with new bearings already fitted but any garage could press out the old bearings and press in the new ones.   Years ago I've replaced bearings just with adhoc tools and vices that I have had in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jaydug said:

 

Alko will tell you that you need to get replacement hubs with new bearings already fitted but any garage could press out the old bearings and press in the new ones.   Years ago I've replaced bearings just with adhoc tools and vices that I have had in the garage.

 

My local service engineer did mine on the drive during an annual service.

The bearings are available from any good bearing supplier, once the hubs were taken off he sent me off to a local engineering firm he deals with, it cost me a drink to have the old bearings pushed out and the new ones pressed in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago bearing manufacturers had the sensible idea of having a standardised numbering system. Most bearings have numbers stamped on the races. A bearing supplier (online?) will be able to provide replacements based on those numbers and often at lower prices than the main dealer.

Although some manufactures have 'specials' made they are rare, I doubt the bearings used on a caravan axle be anything special.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed the wheel bearings on a bike trailer I had just bought.

Went to a local bearing supplier, armed with an old one. I asked the Parts chap to be kind to me when it came to the bill. A set was less than £3.!!! I even asked for a spare set for the other side ☺ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

I changed the wheel bearings on a bike trailer I had just bought.

Went to a local bearing supplier, armed with an old one. I asked the Parts chap to be kind to me when it came to the bill. A set was less than £3.!!! I even asked for a spare set for the other side ☺ 

The markup on many items, just because they are being sold through a caravan supplier, can be huge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The markup on many items, just because they are being sold through a caravan supplier, can be huge!

 

I'll say!   Take for instance a five terminal relay.   Buy a Ford brand relay via ebay- £4.99.   From Leisureshopdirect with the name Dometic attached to it - £25.75.                                            And

a thermocouple with Electrolux attached - £47.50.   From ebaywith Creda attached - £9.25

Edited by Jaydug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...