Sign in to follow this  
MalH

Thetford fridge defrost

After using our caravan fridge at home over the weekend (too much catering stuff to fit in the house fridge), I’ve noticed a (clear)water drip emanating from the wheel arch below where the fridge is fitted. The caravan isn’t level at home - nose high and tilting slightly the opposite way. There isn’t any water pipe work on that side of the van so it would be impossible for any water to run uphill. Am I right in assuming it’s ice melt from the fridge exterior? The interior seems to be dry but this drip has been going a few hours!

My caravan fridge has a small reservoir behind the ventilation grills to catch defrost condensate so it's likely that this could be the source of the liquid. It relies on the heat from the heat exchanger to help evaporate it but I guess that that if it overflows then liquid can drip  from it. Try taking the external grill off and having a look

• Thanks 1

I diverted ours, through the vents, so that it drips to the outside.

I’ve taken the grill off but can’t see anything as it’s too high and the gubbins obstruct any view below

I attached a pipe so condensate no longer collects in the plastic tray but drips out the pipe sticking out the grill.  A bigger problem is when you leave site and there is potential for all the water in the plastic tray to slop out and end up inside the caravan walls.