I get Volvo assist as I have had my car serviced by a Volvo dealer but I have also got Green Flag which I am considering dropping. Has anyone got any experience of using the cover provided  by Volvo Assist as it's really the RAC that does it.

I would be grateful for advice

Posted (edited)

Have a look at their terms and conditions and compare. I use Mayday and when I bought a new car back in 2005 it came with RAC cover. I still kept Mayday as I consider that it better met my needs as a caravanner. Don't know if Volvo has sufficient cover for you or whether it can be upgraded if not. Others may know

Edited by Easy T

My experience with Volvo Assist has been excellent - far better than the 40+ years membership of the RAC.

I had 4 experiences (1 whilst towing) with RAC compared to 3 (2 whilst towing) with Volvo.

Volvo was quicker, more efficient, more flexible and in my opinion well worth the extra cost of main dealer servicing.

Volvo prioritised our safety and welfare regardless of whether the issue was with the caravan or the car.  On the only occasion we told RAC the fault was with the caravan they initially refused to attend.

I stayed with RAC whilst Volvo Assist applied but changed to Green Flag via the CMC when we moved away from Volvo.

I might have been fortunate but based on my experience I wouldn't hesitate to use Volvo Assist .

I have a newish Volvo hence Assist but still stick with Mayday as well, its not beyond possibility having a problem with the caravan so its just for peace of mind.

I also have a Volvo with Volvo Assist,  I rang VA about recovery/repair if it was a problem with the caravan, when towing, and they said they would not cover it. If it was a problem with the car they would also include the caravan.  I have also therefore continued with Mayday, Greenflag, through the cc. 

Excellent thread. I have Volvo Assist and although I haven't checked the details suspected I would be better with Mayday when caravanning. I think I will keep my mayday membership.

On 09/06/2019 at 20:25, Ern said:

Excellent thread. I have Volvo Assist and although I haven't checked the details suspected I would be better with Mayday when caravanning. I think I will keep my mayday membership.

Agreed, I take delivery of a Volvo V90 next week and was asking this same question to myself, I'll keep the Mayday cover as well.