Sign in to follow this  
GaryRobbo

Lock N Level Removal using a trolley jack

I have a twin axle Lock N Level and use it to fit Al-Ko wheel locks to the caravan when parking it on my drive.  One of the issues with this is that when I park up for the winter the Lock N Level will be permanently under the wheels throughout the winter months. Not ideal, and if possible would like to remove it and pack it away. I am considering buying a trolley jack that will enable me to just lift the caravan high enough to remove the Lock N Level. Has anyone else tried doing this?

We just put the second lock on with the trolley jack when putting locks on in storage. Use lock and level on site though.

Mark

Mark thanks for the reply will do the same, as I can imagine getting the trolley jack under the caravan with the Lock N Level in place is probably a bit of a pain. I have seen on various posts that some people manage to get the trolley jack in between the wheels when lifting the caravan, is that what you do? or do you position the jack under the caravan?

Gary

Hi Gary, we generally put the front lock on, jack up under strengthened part of mover crossbar directly under chassis, just enough to spin the back wheel to put the lock on. 

Mark

I keep asking Santa for a Lock n Level but so far he’s turned a deaf ear.  In truth I don’t really need one as we are usually on CMC or decent private sites which almost always have pretty level pitches.

I always use a small and relatively light (8.5kg) trolley jack to fit the second Alko lock on the rear wheel of our TA.  Only cost about £40. I carry it rather than the Alko Jack (which weighs about 5kg anyway) and put it under the Alko jacking point on the chassis just to the rear of the rear wheel with a couple of chipboard packers. Only takes a couple of minutes.

DrBob

11 hours ago, mark68 said:

Hi Gary, we generally put the front lock on, jack up under strengthened part of mover crossbar directly under chassis, just enough to spin the back wheel to put the lock on. 

Mark

Mark

Ok thanks for your reply.

Will have trip to Machine Mart to get myself a trolley jack and keep the Lock N Level for use on site.

Gary

11 hours ago, DrBob said:

I keep asking Santa for a Lock n Level but so far he’s turned a deaf ear.  In truth I don’t really need one as we are usually on CMC or decent private sites which almost always have pretty level pitches.

I always use a small and relatively light (8.5kg) trolley jack to fit the second Alko lock on the rear wheel of our TA.  Only cost about £40. I carry it rather than the Alko Jack (which weighs about 5kg anyway) and put it under the Alko jacking point on the chassis just to the rear of the rear wheel with a couple of chipboard packers. Only takes a couple of minutes.

DrBob

DrBob

Lock N Level is a great bit of kit that has multiple uses, but I can see your point of using a lightweight trolley jack for jacking purposes and fitting the dreaded Alko wheel locks. Will have to have one of those as well. Boys and their toys !! as the wife would say !!

Gary

I have been using L 'n L for five years and it's in use, all winter at home - but deflated once the wheel locks are on. Since our Knaus Starclass came with a trolley jack, I tried using it on one occasion and I have to say it was a real struggle to get it to lift a fairly heavy van and I won't bother doing that again.

There may be some sense in not using the L 'n L for protracted periods, however.  I have just had to have mine repaired after it developed a leak which Derek at Delter Culson said was most likely due to de-lamination  of the air bag material which they had come across on one or two air bags after extended use. That said, it wasn't an expensive repair - and was done quickly, so I will continue to use it.  Best bit of kit I have bought and I have found L 'n L to provide excellent customer service.