Sign in to follow this  
housebuildwilts

How is static moved into position?

We’re considering getting a static whilst we do a self build but are unsure about how to get the static into position. 

How is it moved from lorry into position? Crane?

How much access is needed? It’ll need to be placed alongside our existing house, perpendicular to the road outside and I reckon the lorry itself with the static on will block the entire road. Is this quite normal or beyond ridiculous?

Many thanks

They usually have a set of wheels and a tow hitch so they can be moved with a suitable tug.

It all depends on the access to the proposed site .

If you have the room and the terrain suitable it can be rolled off the trailer and pulled into position , as the above post indicates.

If the road you mention is a hard top and use as per a normal road, then you may have to apply, and pay, for a road closure whilst you unload, best check with your local council.

Saw a fisherman install his static just off the A83 5 miles north of Campbeltown.

The convoy arrived as I headed down to Campbelltown

1 static on flatbed truck

2 light truck with self powered road roller and a few tonne bags of type 1 hardcore.

3 serous off road crew cab pick up filled with pals.

They spread the hard core forming a 30 metre track plus base and applied the roller.

On my return they had winched the static off the flat bed with the crew cabs winch.

I was told they just held up the traffic while the static was unloaded.

Of course this all took place on rural Kintyre where there are statics everywhere.

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

If the road you mention is a hard top and use as per a normal road, then you may have to apply, and pay, for a road closure whilst you unload, best check with your local council.

As in the first part of Brecon's post it depends on the existing road, it's traffic, it's width and the access to your plot and also the size of the unit. The smallest statics that I have seen are 26' x 10'