Sign in to follow this  
robhar

Alde Fluid Leak

My Lunar Clubman SE is 14 months old and had its annual service 3 weeks ago. We have just returned from a week away and whilst unloading noticed a cardboard container in the rear under bed locker was wet with blue glycol fluid. I traced the leak to a bleed valve on a rubber hose connecting a radiator to the aluminium tube next to the fixed double bed. Initially I suspected a loose thumb screw on the bleed valve and tightened it up but that has not worked. I have undone the bleed valve to flush out any grit and re-tightened but the seepage continues. I suspect its coming from the body of the valve rather then the outlet and it appears to only occur when the system is cold. I thought I had fixed it yesterday as the area below the valve was dry all day but this morning some kitchen roll I put down is wet with blue glycol.  I guess its lost about half a teaspoon of fluid overnight. Has anyone else experienced a problem with a bleed valves. I have looked on Alde's website at the components and notice that this particular design is not listed so am wondering if they have proved to be problematic and replaced with a new design. I must admit I have had this system in previous caravans and never had a leak. My dealers workshop is booked out solid for the next month so no quick solution there and I suspect it will need a full drain down to replace the elbow. Anyone know of a quick fix?

20190605_085156.jpg

That's a job for the dealer under warranty.

I have known a bleeder crack, micro fracture in the brass, might it be that?

Have you convinced yourself it is associated with the bleed valve, not the "rubber"  to pipe joint. Theses joints I have known weep, cured in my own case by easing the clamp and wiggling the pipe a bit to reseat.

Alde I believe warranties their stuff for two years, so you might get help directly from them through their partner engineers.

They can pinch hose clamp off at local rubber joints so the whole fluid does not need to be changed but bleed  is very probable. However, 14 months into the two year life of that fluid I would fund a change out for a G13 fluid, whilst they  have the filling bleeding pump installed.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JTQ said:

However, 14 months into the two year life of that fluid I would fund a change out for a G13 fluid, whilst they  have the filling bleeding pump installed.

Good call in my opinion. 

As has been suggested, call Alde, as under warranty still they may have another plan not involving the dealer. I have always found them v v helpful.

Thanks for the advise. I will be calling Alde today as my main Lunar dealer in Preston cannot do the work until August. Totally unacceptable level of service. I shall not be buying from them ever again. 

I have exactly the same problem with my Adria which has also recently been serviced.

I have a twelve month old caravan with alde heating. The system is filled with five year fluid.

My problem is that one of the rubber Horiz Elbow Connectors with Bleed Screw has developed a small slow leak and needs replacing. Obviously the dealer will do the work under warranty if I take the van to him or he will free issue the parts and 1l of mixed fluid if I wish to try and do the job myself. Another option is a mobile approved engineer to come and complete the replacement under warranty but with me paying his call out charge.

Taking the caravan to the dealer or using a mobile engineer are broadly the same cost to me at £100 so I'm thinking can I do the replacement without the need for a complete drain down? has anyone needed to change a rubber hose and what was their experience?? did you drain down etc. 

I would ask the very helpful folk at Alde. I would have expected a drain down but, 1 litre of premixed fluid sounds very little. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop  

You don't have to stick to your dealer, you can use an approved workshop and this includes mobile engineers that have the approved workshop, however I would take the advice given above and phone Alde for advice. 

Edited by joanie

2 hours ago, Easy T said:

I would ask the very helpful folk at Alde. I would have expected a drain down but, 1 litre of premixed fluid sounds very little. 

as the fluid has 4 yrs of life left it can be reused and just topped up!

1 hour ago, v00114 said:

as the fluid has 4 yrs of life left it can be reused and just topped up!

Most caravan makers use 2-year coolant as original fill.

13 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Most caravan makers use 2-year coolant as original fill.

possibly in the UK but mine is an adria and has 5 yr fluid in it.

1 hour ago, v00114 said:

possibly in the UK but mine is an adria and has 5 yr fluid in it.

The OP has a UK-built Lunar.

Hi all, my caravan is booked in with an AWS engineer on 17th and I will ask him to change the fluid for the 5 year version. Further investigation shows that I have 2 leaks both from the bodies of the bleed screws. Either I'm unlucky, its a faulty batch or some ham fisted installer has over tightened them when filling the system at the factory. Alde were helpful but could not do this job at their depot until August

Just to finish off this thread, the repair has been done using new elbows with bleed valves. Interestingly, the valves are of a new design and have a short piece of tube coming off the bend into which the bleed valve is inserted and held with a spring clip. My originals had the bleed valves seated on the bend.  Anyway, all done and new 5 year fluid installed. Now just need to get Alde to fix the night mode issue but that can wait till Autumn.

• Thanks 1