Sign in to follow this  
joanie

electricity usage on site

29 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Well it wouldn't have worried me, unless perhaps he was already rather expensive.  Maybe he couldn't wait long enough for his clients to get used to the idea.

He tried hard and certainly long enough.  Fully serviced Incl free wifi with hard standing pitches, electricity and 2 adults included no awning charge etc and all for £15* - he's doing it for love!

*2019 prices

2 minutes ago, SamD said:

He tried hard and certainly long enough.  Fully serviced Incl free wifi with hard standing pitches, electricity and 2 adults included no awning and all for £15* - he's doing it for love!

*2019 prices

He must be if his regulars stayed away when he  charged for the electrical power they consumed, it is not that he could have even made a penny from reselling metered mains power.

2 minutes ago, JTQ said:

He must be if his regulars stayed away when he  charged for the electrical power they consumed, it is not that he could have even made a penny from reselling metered mains power.

How did your quote of mine miss out the word 'charge' after awning on 2nd line?

Strange!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, joanie said:

The reply that cc gave was that no single user can access more electricity than  any other and that most vehicle charging will be done overnight when the  demand on the site supply is low.  They then go on to say that it may be of interest that the club has a Site Electrical Infrastructure  Forum to address such issues as electrical wastage. Unbelievable, especially as they have had a double increase on site fees recently.  

See what I mean about the wording.

"No single user can access more electricity than any other"

A true statement, but the issue is, how much is used by a single user.

If I plug my fan heater in 24/7 heating up the awning, I as a single user would only be accessing no more leccy than any other user could, the other users dont, but could.

So is that alright then?

Looks like it.

12 minutes ago, SamD said:

He tried hard and certainly long enough.  Fully serviced Incl free wifi with hard standing pitches, electricity and 2 adults included no awning charge etc and all for £15* - he's doing it for love!

*2019 prices

My mate owns a caravan site, he charges for awnings to cover the cost of expected increase in electricity.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

7 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

See what I mean about the wording.

"No single user can access more electricity than any other"

A true statement, but the issue is, how much is used by a single user.

If I plug my fan heater in 24/7 heating up the awning, I as a single user would only be accessing no more leccy than any other user could, the other users dont, but could.

So is that alright then?

Looks like it.

If the site bollard can deliver 16 amps to every pitch then theoretically you can pull all 16 amps for your use whatever that might be, fan heater, car charger, etc, and so can any other pitch, so their statement (whilst stating the obvious) is correct.

In practice in the hope that it balances the cost out the lite users supplement the heavy users.

As many will know from experience, in winter when everyone want the heating up full and a kettle to boil the site sometimes trips.

11 minutes ago, SamD said:

How did your quote of mine miss out the word 'charge' after awning on 2nd line?

Strange!

Absolutely no idea, freak of the system I expect, but this computer's spell check has a habit of auto deleting things it does not like, though "charge" I should have thought was no  difficulty. 

2 hours ago, SamD said:

*2019 prices

I see what you mean.  Depends where it is of course but it sounds good to me.  Some people are charging very fancy prices.  

3 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

If the site bollard can deliver 16 amps to every pitch then theoretically you can pull all 16 amps for your use whatever that might be, fan heater, car charger, etc, and so can any other pitch, so their statement (whilst stating the obvious) is correct.

In practice in the hope that it balances the cost out the lite users supplement the heavy users.

As many will know from experience, in winter when everyone want the heating up full and a kettle to boil the site sometimes trips.

I think it highly unlikely that there's a site in the country where it's possible to simultaneously draw 16A on all the pitches, the supply to the site simply won't be large enough. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bspks said:

I think it highly unlikely that there's a site in the country where it's possible to simultaneously draw 16A on all the pitches, the supply to the site simply won't be large enough. 

I doubt that many sites could achieve 50% of pitches drawing 16A at the same time!

Can’t for the life of me remember the exact location but I recall looking up a site to stay at last year (in the U.K.) where the off season price was higher than the high season!! When I rang to check that fact I was advised that this was because the use of electricity by campers was greater during the “low” season so their charges reflected that! 

Andy

I suspect that most sites simply average their electricity costs over the year. 

11 hours ago, Stevan said:

I doubt that many sites could achieve 50% of pitches drawing 16A at the same time!

Indeed. When we go to our usual CL at Easter, regular as clockwork the fridge LEDs flash at breakfast time when everyone on the site has their heaters on full and boil kettles for an early cuppa! The LEDs flash when the voltage drops to 200v or lower - and your kettle takes a lot longer to boil!

On 03/06/2019 at 15:19, joanie said:

It's about using the site electric to charge the hybrid cars

On 03/06/2019 at 15:19, joanie said:

What's your thoughts on this ? 

I think it's great that we can charge our cars on site.  No problem charging my hybrid Mercedes using the the 3 pin charger.  I started off using the 6A slow charge option but last week used it at 10A for a faster charge and didn't have any problems.

Some days I managed to get two charges in if going out for the day and then again in the evening.  Certainly notice a reduction in petrol costs!

6 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

Certainly notice a reduction in petrol costs!

Unless you are on a meter somebody else is paying for your motoring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

Had an email from Vauxhall.

The all electric Corsa costs £6 to charge from flat  or 3p a mile at whatever kWh Vauxhall used.

205 mile range (circumstance apply)

45 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

Thanks everyone!

like I said , the cc are quite happy for you to do this, however I hope that it's not going to be the few who spoils it for the many .  

It won't be the few.  It's not about spoiling anything.  We have to face facts that petrol, and particularly diesel engined cars will be legislated out of existence.  Everyone will have to get used to EVs as they're here to stay. 

Destination charging will be the norm, hence why the CMC are monitoring this now.  Destination means either home or where you're travelling to.  When you're on holiday your home is the site, so a large demand on the electricity supply can be expected.  That said, not everyone will need to charge at home (or on site) every night.  When I was away last week a local supermarket had a 50 KW rapid charger.  For a full EV (not a hybrid like mine) this would give you something like a 180 -200 mile range for an hours charge.  This was free too. 

Of course, charging will have to be addressed.  At the moment it's easy to get a free charge.  As take up of EVs increases this won't be commercially viable for supermarkets, caravan sites etc.  Then it will be on pitch metering, or more likely, a number of paid rapid chargers on each site.

21 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

It won't be the few.  It's not about spoiling anything.  We have to face facts that petrol, and particularly diesel engined cars will be legislated out of existence.  Everyone will have to get used to EVs as they're here to stay. 

Other opinions are available! You cannot make something possible just by trying to legislate the alternatives away.

Maybe, eventually, but I cannot even imagine the infrastructure being in place within 20 years!

38 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

We have to face facts that petrol, and particularly diesel engined cars will be legislated out of existence.  Everyone will have to get used to EVs as they're here to stay. 

I am glad I have a Freedom caravan. They say a Mini could tow it so a leccy car should.  Its the first van I have owned with a 25 year guarantee that it won't leak. That aside, will it come to this in the long run

Cycle & Caravan.jpg

1 hour ago, joanie said:

like I said , the cc are quite happy for you to do this, however I hope that it's not going to be the few who spoils it for the many .  

As the use of electrified vehicles grows, this is a situation that can't last - sites, including the cc, will increase prices to cover increase cost of electricity, which will hit those without electrified vehicles.

12 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

As the use of electrified vehicles grows, this is a situation that can't last - sites, including the cc, will increase prices to cover increase cost of electricity, which will hit those without electrified vehicles.

I doubt if electric cars will really take off in a big way in the next 50 years where every household has an EV.  To install the infrastructure to support charging at home will be beyond the resources of any government unless they raise taxes considerably.  How will they take into account a block of high rise flats?  This will probably mean that EVs will need to be taxed out of existence. 

What about the thousands of cars that are stored at airports for a couple of weeks as they will need to be charged prior to arriving at the car parks as they probably cannot be left parked up for long periods of time with a battery that is only half charged.  In addition prior to delivery to the dealer, the cars will require a full charge and constant charging while they are waiting to be delivered which can sometimes be weeks.

In the rush to get EVs on the roads I don't think it has been thought through very well.  In the meantime I will stick with my polluting diesel car until such time as a decent environmentally replacement comes along.

8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I doubt if electric cars will really take off in a big way in the next 50 years where every household has an EV.  To install the infrastructure to support charging at home will be beyond the resources of any government unless they raise taxes considerably.  How will they take into account a block of high rise flats?  This will probably mean that EVs will need to be taxed out of existence. 

What about the thousands of cars that are stored at airports for a couple of weeks as they will need to be charged prior to arriving at the car parks as they probably cannot be left parked up for long periods of time with a battery that is only half charged.  In addition prior to delivery to the dealer, the cars will require a full charge and constant charging while they are waiting to be delivered which can sometimes be weeks.

In the rush to get EVs on the roads I don't think it has been thought through very well.  In the meantime I will stick with my polluting diesel car until such time as a decent environmentally replacement comes along.

Internal combustion engined cars will banned from sale in the UK by 2040, or possibly sooner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868

If, as you suggest, 'electric vehicles will need to be taxed out of existence' I'm not sure where that leaves us? 

5 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

Internal combustion engined cars will banned from sale in the UK by 2040, or possibly sooner.

If, as you suggest, 'electric vehicles will need to be taxed out of existence' I'm not sure where that leaves us? 

Fake news! 2040 is just a political target - the "ban" doesn't include hybrids so petrol/diesel models will still be able to be sold.

The future will definitely happen, we just don't know when - those who "Talk up" the use of EVs are achieving nothing practical.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cabbage Patch said:

I think that the target of 2040 will be moved as there is no way the government could install the infrastructure in the next 20 years.  After all they are still trying to get past the Smart Meter fiasco!

If they do go ahead installing an infrastructure to support charging at home, the government will need to get the money from somewhere and the easiest cash cow is the motorist who already has an EV or hybrid. How else will they obtain the money for the infrastructure if they want to stay in power as raising PAYE would not be a good idea?   

Sign in to follow this