2manycooks

Dometic fridge RML9300 NO rain hole

Hi all... a new Bailey Unicorn IV Vigo with Dometic RML9330 installed but without a drain hole for defrost water. Bailey and dealer say does not have one...... Dometic say in manual it should... Been caravanning 15 years so know where to look. Any one else had this issue. Defrost water just overflows small receiver and pools at bottom of fridge for me to mop up. Going round in circles with unhelpful dealership. Help please if you can...

I had the same problem with our Thetford fridge - the designers don't seem to have realised that that the receiver is too small to cope.

Easy solution though is to get yourself a length of clear tube, attach to the drain point, and run the other end through the caravan floor - if you don't want to drill just find a drop vent or such,  but ensure there is a fall on the tube.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chrisn7 said:

I had the same problem with our Thetford fridge - the designers don't seem to have realised that that the receiver is too small to cope.

Easy solution though is to get yourself a length of clear tube, attach to the drain point, and run the other end through the caravan floor - if you don't want to drill just find a drop vent or such,  but ensure there is a fall on the tube.

We simply had the drain pipe connected to the inside of the bottom vent.  As you travel along any water dripping out simply evaporates.  Stupid idea to have a "bowl" to collect the water.  First bump and the water spills out of the bowl soaking the carpet.

• Like 1

The bowl of condensate is meant to be evaporated by the circulating coolant, thus improving cooling.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We simply had the drain pipe connected to the inside of the bottom vent.  As you travel along any water dripping out simply evaporates.  Stupid idea to have a "bowl" to collect the water.  First bump and the water spills out of the bowl soaking the carpet.

+1

I actually fitted the existing pipe to the inner insert of the lower vent exactly as it's supposed to be.

Then as already said it drains through the vent and dribbles down the exterior wall of the van

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies but i dont actually have a drain hole in the back wall of the fridge to connect anything to...

13 minutes ago, 2manycooks said:

Thanks all for the replies but i dont actually have a drain hole in the back wall of the fridge to connect anything to...

There is a clip for the drain pipe at the back of the lower grill. You may need a longer pipe (or an extension as in my case).

19 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The bowl of condensate is meant to be evaporated by the circulating coolant, thus improving cooling.

The fridge would be switched off in many cases when travelling and the water in the "bowl" is from when the fridge defrosts?