Sign in to follow this  
Gazwilliams

saloon twin axle towing

afteeroon
I've been towing our twin axle luna quasar(1205kg mro - 1450 kg mtpla) for a few years now with our volvo xc90,
now its time to change our motor as its nearly ten years old and my better half needs something newer and more practical for work.
Question is does anyone have any experiance of a similer size twin axle van towed by a saloon car?
the car she really would like is 2016 jaguar xe
a quick searce reavales the max tow weight at 1800kg
and Kerb weight: 1,611 to 1,690 kg
thank you
Gareth

2016 BMW520D and 2018 Sprite Quattro EB at a 92% match. Soon being replaced by a 2018 Volvo V90 at a similar match. No issues.

Just one comment on the Jaguar XE, my brother has one and the boot isn't very big at all and its also quite cramped in the back.

I'll second what Gary says about the Jag boot. Sportbrake a better option. 

We have a Lunar Solaris. 1210 Miro 1450 MTPLM. Tow with a VW Passat estate at 79%

I tow with a Audi a8 pulling a swift bessacarr, my criticism is sitting low down, as before we had a vw caravelle, I looked at a v90 last week with 21" wheels very nice but dealer didn't know the unladen weight.

Why not get a newer volvo.

Good luck with looking for a new car, I have considered changing but I would like to change the caravan first.

1450kg isn't an especially great MTPLM, pretty much any 5-series sized car and heavier versions of the 3-series class wouldn't have an issue.

I used to tow a similar sized Luna Delta with a few different saloons,

The Jaguar XE would be fine with that if that what she wants.

I'd just avoid the lowest powered diesel and make sure it's an auto. The ZF8HP automatic gearbox is sublime and great for towing.

Any doubt have a drive of the XF.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

The XE is a pretty small car and will feel tiny compare to the XC90. Sure it will handle the caravan fine though.

We had a 25d for a short while and it was a cracking car to drive, never towed with it though.

1450 Kg isn't particularly heavy, most Mondeo/Passat/Superb type saloons would tow it no bother.