Sign in to follow this  
Stockcroft

Caravan Club - Rules etc

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That's not entirely true, as my windows are at the back of my caravan and the door is on the right hand side I always pitch 'nose first' on CMC sites, we've been on many and non have had a problem with this.

Ok so you pitch front near side to the peg, you are still in the same position albeit pointing the other way, I think you knew what my point was!

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Ok so you pitch front near side to the peg, you are still in the same position albeit pointing the other way, I think you knew what my point was!

Yes but some folk believe that that isn't allowed and you must reverse in.

Apart from once I've always found CMC Wardens to be friendly, helpful and accommodating, I like the whole 'Regimented thing' though, I can imagine many don't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Yes but some folk believe that that isn't allowed and you must reverse in.

Apart from once I've always found CMC Wardens to be friendly, helpful and accommodating, I like the whole 'Regimented thing' though, I can imagine many don't.

Some sites want you to reverse in to avoid driving over the grass. This then gets corrupted into dictating which way the caravan should be pointing even if pitching with a mover.

My pal has a house in France (And has had it for many years) he speaks fluent French.  He regaled me with a conversation he had with a neighbour who is a Gendarme.

”We French like rules, but only obey the ones we think sensible, You British hate rules, but slavishly obey every single one, why?” 

Which, I think it fair to say, does sum up the different attitudes in our two countries. 

In all the years I have been camping in France (Motor home and caravan) I have frequently been instructed as to exactly which  pitch to occupy, but I have NEVER been instructed HOW to occupy said pitch! 

Andy

• Like 2

Thanks John and Joanie for providing the info regarding my specific question in my original post, ie the relevance and application of the 6m gap policy.   It now appears crystal clear that the car doesn't form part of the 'outfit' perimeter for measurement purposes.  Concerning that the wardens either don't fully understand the rules or seek to manipulate them to suit their purpose.   Anyway, an illuminating discussion from all sorts of perspectives.

On 01/06/2019 at 23:16, JCloughie said:

What small minded designer does this?  With many or most vans the view to the rear is zero.  The view to the offside a little better.  On the near side it’s good but often blocked by an awning.  This leaves the front.  That’s the one with bigger windows to best enjoy the view.  Only to get some unimaginative designer dictating that you admire the side of you car.

I do agree that it should have been made clear to the OP but also it was obvious and he should have questioned it on arrival.

CMC need to amend their paperwork.  While they are doing so they could add a simple arrow together with an H or V to assist people with setting up their aerial.

I agree with Andy, the French provide a delimitated area and after that it’s please yourself.

John

Probably to get more pitches in, so to make more revenue.

I was told off for having an inch of tyre on the grass at Castleton last year. I complied with van to the peg, but there was not enough room to park with the aquaroll in positon, without touching the grass. If I had a wide car such as some of the BMW/Volvo SUV types it would have more likely I could not have parked that side.

At Cayton Bay this year, the pitches were very narrow and you had to park at the front. These were the Super pitches with free wifi and services. The outfit next door had a full awning and this was over on the grass, nothing else they could do. The view was not to die for from here, a wire boundary fence so putting the car in front was probably a better option

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2019 at 00:16, JCloughie said:

With many or most vans the view to the rear is zero

But lots of us Continental types are CMC members and use their sites, go to Brighton CMC, it's always got Johnny Foreigners on it (parked the wrong way round :o) , most of us have our windows at the rear.

512567296_3-tabbert-puccini-560-e-showmodel.jpg

Edited by Borussia 1900

1 hour ago, Stockcroft said:

It now appears crystal clear that the car doesn't form part of the 'outfit' perimeter for measurement purposes.  Concerning that the wardens either don't fully understand the rules or seek to manipulate them to suit their purpose.   Anyway, an illuminating discussion from all sorts of perspectives.

On a CMC site if you have booked a hard standing (with awning) it is quite simple, if you are putting up an awning and the peg is towards the middle of the pitch there should be room for your car to go to the left of the caravan, and room for the awning on the right.

If you are not putting up an awning, provide the caravan is pitched to the peg you can park your car either side of the caravan.

If the peg is in the rear left corner of the pitch, if you are erecting an awning the car goes across the front, if you are not erecting an awning then the car can go next to the caravan on the hard standing.

So more a case of you not understanding the foibles of the CMC regime than an issue with the wardens, but let’s not miss an opportunity to kick the wardens ☹️

35 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

So more a case of you not understanding the foibles of the CMC regime than an issue with the wardens, but let’s not miss an opportunity to kick the wardens ☹️

Some wardens do need a kick up the backside at times as they interpret the rules the way that suits them best and not the customer.  However we have never had an issue on a CMC site as all the little dictator wardens seem to be on C &cc sites.  ;)

12 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I'm not going to revisit the specifics of this Steve - its all described clearly in the thread previously.  I've never had any problem with any wardens before and, despite what you may surmise and suggest, I am not someone who seeks out opportunities to be difficult.  But the fact is that we initially fully complied with the pitching/parking instructions given to us.  We were later asked to move the car to the front of the pitch with an articulated justification being that to park as we had done compromised the CMC's 6 metre H&S rule.  I complied but sought out the forum's expertise on that matter and it seems, as I thought, that what I was told is not correct.  Also, I had also suggested to the warden that they might take the opportunity to review the wording of their park information and pitch diagram to reflect the fact that there are evident variations in their requirements amongst pitches - that was given short shrift.   You suggest that I do 'not understand the foibles of the CMC regime'.  Well, if asking the questions and seeking greater transparency and accuracy to help the humble consumer understand those foibles is a failing then....guilty as charged.   

• Like 2

On 02/06/2019 at 10:19, macSpot said:

I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek - sorry it was lost in interpretation.

Though nearly every other campsite in the world manages perfectly well without the stringent pitching rules.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, svimes said:

Though nearly every other campsite in the world manages perfectly well without the stringent pitching rules.

Not always a good thing though.

Capture.JPG

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Easy T said:

Capture.JPG

Though mostly it is

I don't think I'd have stayed at the site in your picture, it doesn't look nice.

IMG_20190531_195234528_HDR.jpg

Edited by svimes

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

Capture.JPG

Cheeky, looks like an air or equivalent over there.  Defeats me why anyone would spend £50k+ and then try and save a few €’s. 

My take on club sites:  I have encountered some jobs worth wardens, they are a minority though.  Fans of club sites will praise them because,  you know what you are going to get.  I agree and I find them in the main part totally sterile and uninspiring.  We have recently stayed at Southport and Burrs CP, both great locations, but the sites in terms of atmosphere oh dear.  

Nothing to do with pitching but when paying at Ronkswood I asked for the receipt from the machine and was told rather rudely by the lady warden that they do not need to issue receipts as the paper work is the receipt!  Rightly or wrongly I insisted on the receipt from the machine which was then given to me rather reluctantly.  Otherwise a pleasant stay.

36 minutes ago, fred said:

My take on club sites:  I have encountered some jobs worth wardens, they are a minority though.  Fans of club sites will praise them because,  you know what you are going to get.  I agree and I find them in the main part totally sterile and uninspiring.  We have recently stayed at Southport and Burrs CP, both great locations, but the sites in terms of atmosphere oh dear.  

Depends on the site and the pitch as to how desirable the site is. For me however I don't tour to visit a site but to visit the area. Some sites are better than others if we want to sit outside in the afternoon. Southport would not be one though! Southport is however the only site that we have visited more than 2 or 3 times in 15 years. We visit around 22 to 24 sites a year usually staying 5 nights on each. We have had a two week stay at Southport every December and over Christmas for the last 9 years. Sitting out when we return to site after 3pm is unlikely then.

CIMG2295.JPG

On 04/06/2019 at 09:55, Easy T said:

Depends on the site and the pitch as to how desirable the site is. For me however I don't tour to visit a site but to visit the area. Some sites are better than others if we want to sit outside in the afternoon. Southport would not be one though! Southport is however the only site that we have visited more than 2 or 3 times in 15 years. We visit around 22 to 24 sites a year usually staying 5 nights on each. We have had a two week stay at Southport every December and over Christmas for the last 9 years. Sitting out when we return to site after 3pm is unlikely then.

CIMG2295.JPG

Irrefutable evidence that you have.......................charisma!

I did once Allen :lol: