Sign in to follow this  
Stockcroft

Caravan Club - Rules etc

26 minutes ago, Easy T said:

It is not his neighbours pitch it is No-Man's land. I would not have parked the car there either but if it was a hot afternoon and I had returned to site at 3pm after a day out I would have parked my chair and myself there in the shade. :)

Plus one, there's plenty of room on the hardstanding for a car 

• Thanks 1

It is just this sort of issue that keeps me convinced that I do not want to have anything to do with such a club! Pity really, because I understand that they have many CLs in fantastic locations.

It reminds me of when I first started caravanning (around 30 years ago).

We were arriving at a site in Cornwall where two rallies were sharing the rally field attached to a commercial site.

Arrivals at the cc (as was then) rally were greeted by a guy in a high vis jacket who directed them to another guy in  blazer and white flannels who directed them to precise pitch markers.

On our side of the field, a CCCF rally, we were greeted with a question "Tea or coffee" and directed  "anywhere down this side.". 

Is CMC still the same?

• Like 1

As ever in these situations there is no one answer as it is one persons opinion of another persons attitude.

Going on the picture only I would be happy to park in front as there is ample room, in fact lost of room, but if I had set up based on what I was told and then had this changed I would possibly be unhappy but it would depend on the attitude of the person telling me-so we are back to opinions!

Interestingly I have had two situations were I was unhappy with the attitude of site staff, one caravan club and one not, and they were dealt with totally differently with one prompting me at adopt a constant smiley 'I am having fun despite you' demeanor and the other by leaving the site early. 

I could have done the reverse! 

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It is just this sort of issue that keeps me convinced that I do not want to have anything to do with such a club! Pity really, because I understand that they have many CLs in fantastic locations.

For every irate customer on cc sites Steve there must be thousands who, like myself, have never found staff to be unhelpful - quite the opposite in fact. Many an 'irate customer' usually is complaining about what is a frequently self induced 'problem'. 

3 minutes ago, Easy T said:

For every irate customer on cc sites Steve there must be thousands who, like myself, have never found staff to be unhelpful - quite the opposite in fact. Many an 'irate customer' usually is complaining about what is a frequently self induced 'problem'. 

+1 - We have tried the various sites and decided many years ago to stick with the CMC sites, regardless of location you know exactly what you are getting.

We use a mixture Steve. But first choice is CMC.

If everyone parked on the grassed area it would very soon become a mess of dead grass

Wow, thanks for all comments guys.....the term "light the blue touch paper and stand well back" springs to mind    Just goes to show what a diverse world we live in with equally diverse views....but then current affairs should have taught me that by now!  As you may have guessed, I posted just after having battled through the Saturday traffic on the journey here, set up all the services, gone 10 rounds with the awning all in considerable heat.   So having the rule book metaphorically thrust in my face just as I sat down wasn't wholly welcome at that time.  It was all about tone, delivery etc and that can't adequately be communicated in a forum post.   I still don't understand the 6m rule - the warden seemed to be suggesting any part of the outfit (ie car, van, awning), shouldn't be within 6m of a neighbour.   But there are umpteen examples around this site alone of that not being upheld.   And there have been so many times on CMC sites that I have been required to park on grass to comply with the required parking format so genuinely thought I was doing the right thing.   I didn't realise (as one responder suggests) that there is a formal rule stating that car, van and awning have to be on a hardstanding part of a pitch.  When we arrived at 12:15 yesterday there was just one other car in this line of pitches so no clues that we were doing anything wrong.  

Anyway, many of you will be pleased to know that I am sitting in the awning admiring the sweeping vistas of Solihull's finest output.   Mind you,  the colour of the car blends effortlessly into the threatening grey of the sky behind it!  

9 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It is just this sort of issue that keeps me convinced that I do not want to have anything to do with such a club!

That is the conclusion we have come to also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps the CMC should instal a second peg at each pitch to show members where they should park their car - distinctively coloured and accurately spaced of course - then they would not have to exercise  common sense or free will but could rest happy in the knowledge that they are obeying yet another rule and maintaining good order and discipline. 

But I hope Mr Stockcroft has a better day today. 

• Like 1

You will alway be availed by the wardens of the need to separate the units by 6 metres side by side, yet they allow them to park within feet of the next unit back to back, or barely 4 metres apart across the service road.

I guess the beech hedge is flame retardant and the road has a built in sprinkler system 😀

Just part of life’s rich tapestry, welcome to the world of caravanning.

• Thanks 1

Stockcroft of course you were miffed, after following the instructions to be told that you were in the wrong, I hope someone said they were sorry. For those of us who use the cc regularly we know how to pitch, most of the time.   When you rent a hardstand everything should be on the hardstand.  Also when you rent a grass pitch , it doesn't mean that you can spread out every where. 

Jonaldo, it does annoy us when the previous occupant moves the white peg, only last month after reversing the caravan and and starting to set up we noticed that the warden didn't leave us enough space to park the car,  too late as we were not going to start again, so the car was parked with 2 wheels on the grass. When the warden noticed it the next day we could see that he was annoyed by his arms in the air, the rolling of eyes and the shaking of head , but he never said anything to us. 

Tigger , so many folk seem to think that the grass between the the caravans  belong to them, a couple of years ago after being out for the day we came back to find that the chap next pitch had parked his car under our caravan  window. We called the warden over to sort it out and another man had also been over to the office to tell the wardens what happened.  Although we all use the grass in between the pitches, it is not rented by anyone, we can all walk across it  even when taking a shortcut to the toilet block.  I see now that a lot of people use wind breaks to ensure their privacy, or to keep the dogs in perhaps. 

Edited by joanie

4 minutes ago, moorgate said:

But I hope Mr Stockcroft has a better day today. 

Indeed he is Moorgate.  Reading this thread has provided a few chuckles.

8 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Perhaps the CMC should instal a second peg at each pitch to show members where they should park their car

No need for another peg - they provide a diagram showing exactly where they want you to park and which is self explanatory.

It can be very annoying when you follow the rules and the are told that there is an exception for the pitch that you are parked on.  Either way the warden could have been more diplomatic about the issue.   Just easier to agree with the warden and then ignore their instructions.  If we are not lined up with the peg by a couple of inches we pull it up and line it up with the caravan.  Works for us.  :D

Although members of CMC and C&CC we prefer to use commercial sites which have more facilities, cheaper and are just as good as any CMC or C&CC site.   The only times we have used a CMC site is when using the ferry. 

We have not used a C&CC site for about 10 years or longer due to fussy wardens wanting you to move because you are 6 inches the other side of their imaginary line.  We did have one warden that came over with a tape measure to make sure we were exactly 6 metres away from the other caravan.  We were but there was no way we would have moved if we were a few inches inside the 6 metres.

Edited by Durbanite

5 minutes ago, joanie said:

Stockcroft of course you were miffed, after following the instructions to be told that you were in the wrong, I hope someone said they were sorry.

Joanie - got it in one!  If that had been the attitude from the outset all would have been OK.  But regrettably not so.   

I would love to see what would happen if the two clubs had no site rules at all. Pitch where you want, drive as fast as you like, let your dog roam free, let you children run loose. It would be superb. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Although members of CMC and C&CC we prefer to use commercial sites which have more facilities, cheaper and are just as good as any CMC or C&CC site.  

Whereas for some the CMC offers exactly what they want and no more. We are all different

• Thanks 1

If the site plan indicated that the parking should be Car/ Caravan/ Awning.  the OP has done nothing wrong.  ---  It's the site staff who has spoiled the OP's visit.   Typical CMC attitude. :(

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, macSpot said:

I would love to see what would happen if the two clubs had no site rules at all. Pitch where you want, drive as fast as you like, let your dog roam free, let you children run loose. It would be superb. :rolleyes:

No one is disagreeing that there should be rules, but it is the way that they are being applied in some cases.  It is unusual to have to park the vehicle across the front of the caravan as generally on the majority of CMC sites the vehicle is parked on the offside of the caravan.  If a warden came over and explained to us why the vehicle could not be parked by the side and asked if we would mind parking it across the front, we would more than likely oblige.

I was at Moreton in Marsh last week and it was the first time I have seen a warden ask people to move themselves and sun loungers off the grass on a sunny mid-afternoon so he could cut the grass . I know they ask for you not to pitch outside the hardstand area .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

No one is disagreeing that there should be rules, but it is the way that they are being applied in some cases.  It is unusual to have to park the vehicle across the front of the caravan as generally on the majority of CMC sites the vehicle is parked on the offside of the caravan.  If a warden came over and explained to us why the vehicle could not be parked by the side and asked if we would mind parking it across the front, we would more than likely oblige.

I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek - sorry it was lost in interpretation.

21 minutes ago, joanie said:

http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/uploads/assets/sitepoint/pan/fireProtection-FS/FS-PAN006-CaravanSites.pdf

I was actually looking for the cc rules but came across this.  TBH when seeing how some people use BBQ's  too close to the caravan and awning, I would want more than 6m away.

CMC asked members not to pitch awnings within the 3 m gap to the next unit in their mag as concerns by wardens that the larger awnings did not allow the gap to be maintained and they asked you should not erect a awning . I wonder if the club has told wardens to implement the regulations ?

This ruling was based on non combustible aluminium sided caravans now the sides on majority of caravans are plastic so still 6 m ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I should imagine the safety of the site is top of the list, although with some wardens they may have other ideas. My OH was helping a bloke with a huge awning. it was the length of the caravan then it sort of bowed out in front, It was a good job that no one was on the next pitch.

37 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I was at Moreton in Marsh last week and it was the first time I have seen a warden ask people to move themselves and sun loungers off the grass on a sunny mid-afternoon so he could cut the grass . I know they ask for you not to pitch outside the hardstand area .

Dave

He wouldn't have to ask me Dave, if I saw that he was grass cutting on a sunny day I would have moved off the grass for half an hour.

This topic seems to me to be a storm in  an egg cup.

It seems to me that the way to resolve this matter and conform with a request from a site warden, and fellow member, is for the towing vehicle to be moved to a position in front of his caravan and probably parallel to the site road.

To refuse to do so would seems to be in breach of site rules which could lead to the Warden asking  Stockcroft to leave the site.

My sympathies are with Solihull's finest Warden team at Chapel Lane Club site.:rolleyes: