Stockcroft

Caravan Club - Rules etc

Blood is boiling!  We have come away today for the first night of a 21 night tour taking in Dorset, Cornwall and Somerset.  First 5 nights are staying on a CMC site - have used them plenty of times before but for various reasons (mainly finding better in the mainstream commercial sector) we haven't recently.  In fact the last time was at this site.   But after our experience today I suspect we won't be using them at all.

We arrived happy and relaxed just after 12:00am.  I had a brief check in chat with the lady warden on reception who took the money and gave us the site plan  and outlined the vacant pitches.   Off we went, found a pitch  and pitched up.  I am always a stickler for the rules  so had my van right on the peg (back left) with the car to the left as is always the case on CMC sites and as the diagram on the plan we were given instructed (see picture below).

As I was nearing completion of the awning construction another female warden walked by, stopped and asked if I had visited this site before.  I thought she was just being friendly but no, she told me that I shouldn't park my car where I had done but rather move it to be laterally in front of our caravan.  I immediately queried that as it was totally against CMC norm but she said it was the case.   We hate sites where you have to park with the car like that - our view, having moved the car, was a window full of LR Discovery!  If we had been advised on check in that there was a different policy for certain pitches we would have selected a different one.  We were both fuming as we had fully complied with verbal and written guidance and so my wife walked up to the office to try and get some context whilst I finished the awning.  There she met a male warden - apparently husband of the lady who had checked us in.    The response to my wife was that he strongly disputed that we were not told about the parking policy on these pitches,  he recognised that the diagram on the sheet given to us indicated the standard CMC parking set up but was dissmissive of our position and asked "how am I supposed to cut the grass then" and "if I allow you to park there then everyone will want to park like that".   My wife, who was taking a placatory approach might have been willing to accept if, as she suggested, he apologised that we hadn't been advised of the different parking arrangements and that it was at odds with the written instructions we had been given.  In the circs (ie no good reason given) we left it where it was and enjoyed the sun in our loungers.

An hour or so later the male warden came down and spoke to me.  This time he had a map of the pitches that will be vacant tomorrow and where we could park parallel.  He offered to help me take the awning down and move tomorrow - first sign of conciliation!  We are only here 5 nights and are out all day tomorrow meeting our relations so I told him we would not be moving.  We revisited the fact that we hadn't been told to park differently to the norm and that the diagram confirmed we were parked correctly.  He had abandoned the earlier grass cutting and 'everyone will want to do it' objections and, instead told me that we were actually breaking the CMC's firebreak rule and that we were impinging on the ability of the people to our left to be able to sit out and enjoy the grass.  The firebreak issue was something I don't know about but I asked if I could see the detail - he said I could tomorrow.  Clearly, I didn't want to break such a rule and as I couldn't see it I immediately agreed to move the car this evening.   I genuinely can't see that we are distracting from others' enjoyment and I would be amazed if we genuinely were too close for their firebreak rules - there are others on this site who are far closer together.

Is it me or does this seem OTT?  The fundamental point is that had we been told of their policy at checkin we would have selected a different pitch.   I would be interested to know what people think - but would specifically like to know (from those who know about these things) what the C&CM's fire break rule is and whether (from the picture shown) it looks like I would have been at fault by following the guidance and parking as I did ?

IMG_1622.JPG

It looks like the sort of long and narrow pitch where I would have expected to park my car in front of awning or caravan to be honest. Therefor not a pitch I would have chosen - which site was it?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If you go to Start Bay caravan site, with CMC, then you park in front of the caravan, at right angles to the caravan.

There is no other option as the pitches, in question, are not wide enough to have the caravan, awning and car parallel to each other. Offside rear corner of the caravan to the white pitch marker.

You would certainly never park on the grass.

Edited by Tradewinds

You are on a 3 week tour of the South West and you will only enjoy the rest of the tour if you somehow let things like this melt away. Don't ruin your stay by thinking about it. Sites sometimes do have their nuances but live with them and then get out and enjoy the lovely area you are in.

• Like 2

But surely on any CMC site that I have been to the club states car, caravan, awning, and gives a diagram as an example. If the pitches are not wide enough you park on the grass. If there is any variance on that you should be notified on book in, the OP was given paperwork that quoted the norm.

The friendly club has no problem with parking on the grass.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My experience of 'The Friendly CLub' is that there is usually no choice other than to park on the grass if using an awning :lol:

It would have been nice if the OP had been warned. As a caravanner who uses a fair number of cc sites I would, as said earlier, have expected to park at front of pitch somewhere on such a pitch. As you may guess from my username I would not have been 'Boiling' mad ;)

Edited by Easy T

You could park your car in the car park, then you would not be looking out on your car.  But then I suppose it could be a worry in case it was vandalised, or stolen.

• Like 2

CMC rules can be tiresome, but there can often be a way round them.  Could you perhaps put the car on a vacant pitch , or is there a separate car park you could use on that site? 

27 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

The friendly club has no problem with parking on the grass.

Last two C&CC sites we have visited we have been told that if we couldn't park on the gravel we should park in front..even though there were empty spaces adjoining. Last time was their 'flagship site' Blackmore near Malvern.

geoff

If you have a hard standing pitch, then it would seem obvious to me that the car, 'van and awning go on the hard stuff. So from the photo, why would you want to park the car on the grass? Is anyone else doing this?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tradewinds said:

If you go to Start Bay caravan site, with CMC, then you park in front of the caravan, at right angles to the caravan.

There is no other option as the pitches, in question, are not wide enough to have the caravan, awning and car parallel to each other.

Tradewinds, sorry to contradict , but this is my outfit at Start Bay a couple of years ago ...

2141199076_StartBay.thumb.JPG.3f202a28a848ae33e42c0c47df79c14e.JPG

John

(PS, before anyone comments - the white peg had been moved by the previous occupant of that pitch, and the warden had moved it back to the tell-tale marker disk, ready for the next occupant).

17 minutes ago, Pebble said:

If you have a hard standing pitch, then it would seem obvious to me that the car, 'van and awning go on the hard stuff. So from the photo, why would you want to park the car on the grass? Is anyone else doing this?

However, as the golden rule is you park your van precisely to the peg, where you can park is wholly predetermined by where the peg is placed.

In the OPs case I suspect the peg was placed to use the pitch as they wanted, not as is normally done, as it best exploits that pitch.

I would not have parked on the grass, nor let this exchange get under my skin, after all the Disco is amongst the most attractive of vehicles if you have to sit looking at a vehicle!;)

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Put your car in the car park, have a glass (or two) of whatever is your favourite and chill!

Life is FAR too short to get all worked up  over something that is, in all honesty, inconsequential! Yes it’s mildly annoying, but in the great scheme of things is it really that important? You have a pitch, your awning is up, enjoy !! 

We were on a site in Holland a couple of weeks ago where it was a a site rule that NO cars were parked alongside/in front of/behind caravans. They were ALL required to be left in the nearby  (as in 25m distant) parking area unless arriving or departing. The system worked very well, everyone had plenty of open space around them, and no one had a car blocking their outlook. 

Dont get these petty petty problems in France! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Your neighbour there has a nice piece of grass in front of his awning where he can sit out with his table and chairs etc. I imagine so do you in front of your awning. Why should your neighbour have to put up with your vehicle parked next to his awning. Your vehicle should be across the front of  your van. To my mind you are just being selfish, a touch of I,m alright jack.

• Like 5

So the site has slightly different rules to the norm, and the wardens are unhelpful.

Why let something so trivial ruin your holiday and get you all het up?

As others have said, either comply or park elsewhere. If you find it so unbearable, pack up and move elsewhere. Although I can be a very angry man when provoked, I really can’t see what the big deal is here. 

• Like 1

The  rule is rear offside to the peg, the fact that the peg is in the corner of the pitch should have been a clue. 

The other rule is on a CMC hard standing everything has to fit within the confines of it,  that again should have been a clue.

The guidance on the leaflet you get always shows car, caravan then awning but the reference point is always the peg, so if the peg allows the parking of car, caravan and awning  all well and good, if the peg is in the corner then the car has to be parked elsewhere on the hard standing, not on the grass.

The OP had been to the site on a previous occasion so it was reasonable for wardens to believe that he/she would be aware of the different rules for different pitches.

As the OP presumably has not been to many club sites in recent years and would not have seen the gradual increase in hardstanding pitches at all sites. In order to create these pitches it seems to have been necessary in some, but not in all cases, to have the towing vehicle parked pasrallel to the service road.

What does surprise me is that the OP seems to be unaware of the 6 metre fire break rule.

When the Moreton in Marsh expanded West of the site entrance in 2004 on the majority of hardstanding pitches parking was in front of the outfit.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

When the Moreton in Marsh expanded West of the site entrance in 2004 on the majority of hardstanding pitches parking was in front of the outfit.

What small minded designer does this?  With many or most vans the view to the rear is zero.  The view to the offside a little better.  On the near side it’s good but often blocked by an awning.  This leaves the front.  That’s the one with bigger windows to best enjoy the view.  Only to get some unimaginative designer dictating that you admire the side of you car.

I do agree that it should have been made clear to the OP but also it was obvious and he should have questioned it on arrival.

CMC need to amend their paperwork.  While they are doing so they could add a simple arrow together with an H or V to assist people with setting up their aerial.

I agree with Andy, the French provide a delimitated area and after that it’s please yourself.

John

Edited by JCloughie

I’m looking forward to a trip to Ferry Meadows in July and wondering what ‘the rules’ are as this is the reason we don’t use CMC sites.  However, poor as it may have been communicated their rules seem perfectly appropriate on this occasion and yes, your car should be in front of your van; I often park like this given a chance but as we don’t have an SUV visibility is not an issue.

I can't say that I have had any problem with CMC rules Frank and in 34 years of membership never had a problem with site staff or their attitude. Present time I spend nearly 55 to 60% of my time away on cc sites. Around 70 nights a year on CMC sites

7 hours ago, JCloughie said:

What small minded designer does this?  With many or most vans the view to the rear is zero.  

Only to get some unimaginative dictating that you admire the side of car.

Probably not some dumb designer more this is an inherited feature from earlier times where the CMC interpreted the guidance that the separation was from van to van. Not as now where the awning ought to be considered as a "habited" part of the unit, an example it being used as a bedroom for a child.

Why it never was treated as such is the more baffling point in my mind, to me it is self evident with here the fire danger to the occupant(s) IMO presenting so much the higher vulnerability.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JCloughie said:

What small minded designer does this?  With many or most vans the view to the rear is zero.  The view to the offside a little better.  On the near side it’s good but often blocked by an awning.  This leaves the front.  That’s the one with bigger windows to best enjoy the view.  Only to get some unimaginative designer dictating that you admire the side of you car.

I do agree that it should have been made clear to the OP but also it was obvious and he should have questioned it on arrival.

CMC need to amend their paperwork.  While they are doing so they could add a simple arrow together with an H or V to assist people with setting up their aerial.

I agree with Andy, the French provide a delimitated area and after that it’s please yourself.

John

I stayed in the North East corner at Moreton in Marsh so called "Woodland Feel" site at Christmas 2017, when in preparation for the Glamping pods, fifty or more mature woodland trees in the centre of the site had been felled. As Jim Royal would say "woodland feel my ariss":D

Page 2 of the site map shows the parking guide, clearly in the traditional manner.

Please see uploaded image taken in 2004.

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCF9905.JPG

Edited by DeeTee
added photo

12 hours ago, Stockcroft said:

IMG_1622.JPG

I wouldn't have parked like that - your car is on your neighbour's pitch!  I can understand the wardens challenging it.

If parking in front is such a big deal, move the car to the car park.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tigger said:

your car is on your neighbour's pitch!

It is not his neighbours pitch it is No-Man's land. I would not have parked the car there either but if it was a hot afternoon and I had returned to site at 3pm after a day out I would have parked my chair and myself there in the shade. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1