Sign in to follow this  
wombal

Leisure Battery Charging

HI  to you all please could someone help me sort out my Leisure battery charging problem Ive had a 2015 transit custom  converted complete with solar panels but my battery is showing 14.5 charging when engine is of and when I start the van this reading goes much higher Im worried about over charging the leisure battery. The man who did the conversion thinks it maybe something to do with the alternator on the transit being of high output ? I think I maybe because there is a fault on the split charge

can anyone please help me sort this out as I very worried about the battery being over charged I put this on this site as I don't know if the motorhome forum is used very much 

Thanks to you all in advance Best regards Wombal.

How high is "much higher"? Anything much over 14.5 will be damaging both the leisure and main battery, and can only be the fault of the alternator, not just being "high output" but actually with a faulty regulator.

It is only a 12V battery in the transit isn't it?

1 hour ago, wombal said:

HI  to you all please could someone help me sort out my Leisure battery charging problem Ive had a 2015 transit custom  converted complete with solar panels but my battery is showing 14.5 charging when engine is of and when I start the van this reading goes much higher Im worried about over charging the leisure battery. The man who did the conversion thinks it maybe something to do with the alternator on the transit being of high output ? I think I maybe because there is a fault on the split charge

can anyone please help me sort this out as I very worried about the battery being over charged I put this on this site as I don't know if the motorhome forum is used very much 

Thanks to you all in advance Best regards Wombal.

Its nothing to do with split charge, that wont raise the voltage, maximum voltage should be the alternator output, if your Transit has an AGM for it's vehicle battery charge voltages of 14.8v are possible and thats what would be shared via the split charge relay. Your solar panels will feed into a controller and again, dependent on the controller, if it's set to AGM may give out up to 14.8v, some manufacturers have 14.5v as the maximum.

AJG

The solar panels do have a regulator?

If You go onto the Motor Home Facts forum there are many knowledgeable members who will probably able to assist you.

Whilst the electrical set up on motorhomes and caravans are broadly similar there are differences between the two. 

What sort of voltage reading ding do you get when the engine is running! Do you get the same reading at the starter battery as you get at the leisure battery??

Is this a commercial or DIY conversion! If the latter then I would suggest you might find it worthwhile taking your MH to MH workshop (or a visiting technician) as they will be very familiar with the electrics and how they work. So should be able to sort things out for you.

Andy

Hi thanks for all your replies BLACK GROUSE, yes solar panels have a regulator 

AJGALAXY2012 can you explain what you mean by AGM please and the setting you have talked about thanks again 

MR PLODD 

its a DIY conversion by acquaintance 

AGM is the battery type, if you have a AGM battery you need the higher charge rate or your battery will have a shorter life than expected.

I have a standard flooded battery and my solar will take it up to 14.9 volts for an hour every month, after that it goes back down to 13.7v

56 minutes ago, wombal said:

Hi thanks for all your replies BLACK GROUSE, yes solar panels have a regulator 

AJGALAXY2012 can you explain what you mean by AGM please and the setting you have talked about thanks again 

MR PLODD 

its a DIY conversion by acquaintance 

I can indeed, have a look here https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Many modern cars are fitted with them, they run at higher voltages than a standard lead acid battery.

2 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

AGM is the battery type, if you have a AGM battery you need the higher charge rate or your battery will have a shorter life than expected.

I have a standard flooded battery and my solar will take it up to 14.9 volts for an hour every month, after that it goes back down to 13.7v

I dont think the charge rate has to be higher, the voltage certainly does.

• Confused 1

Hi, the transit custom has a smart alternator charging system, the alternator output will vary between 12.2v and 15.0v. This means a conventional split charge setup will not work and could damage the leisure battery.  Also this system will only charge the vehicle battery and the leisure battery to around 80%. What you need is a battery to battery charger which will supply the correct voltages to the leisure battery.

Why on earth would a motor manufacturer produce a vehicle where the system only charges the starter battery to 80%  rather than 100% ? 

Are you sure  of your facts here?  I have certainly never heard of this 80%  set up, it seems highly  perverse to me.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Some stop start systems use a computer to ensure every so often the battery is fully charged but does maintain the battery at below full charge so it can use regenerative braking technology.

The way around this when using as a motor caravan is to have the second battery controlled with a DC to DC inverter so the vehicle start battery is independent to the domestic battery, and you can have a valve regulated lead acid for vehicle start but still use a flooded battery as the domestic.

See https://sterling-power.com/products/battery-to-battery-charger-caravan as an example.

Hi, the 80% is to leave "space"  in the battery for regenerative charging. EURO 6 diesel cars and vans alternators will only supply about 12.2v when cruising along at a steady speed but when you lift of the throttle the charge voltage will rise to about 15v, this is to minimize the load the alternator makes on the engine and increases fuel economy.

If you Google smart alternators and you'll get a better explanation than mine.

The Caravan chronicles webpage has a lot of info about this.

Edited by johnt33
Update
  • Thanks 1

Well thanks to you all for your very helpful info, that has really been appreciated have a lovely Sunday.

Best regards.