Sign in to follow this  
Onni

Roll out awning and Kampa air!

Hi there people at caravantalk, 

I have a caravan with a roll out awning and want to buy Kampa air awning, do you think that setup is possible? it seems like the roll out awning is in the way!(it is Omnistor and has no rail) 

Not looking for really big awning, Air pro 300 seems to be it. But if that is not possible, any recommendations?

Thanks,

And because we love pictures..

DDC50747-3991-46EB-844C-38B65F90278A.jpeg

It looks quite tall at the front so might clear (this is the 400) but I suspect that it won't looking purely at the other pic

22624.jpg

It is in the way, the ‘bladders’ that hold the air need to sit right where the roll out awning is positioned

45 minutes ago, Easy T said:

It looks quite tall at the front so might clear (this is the 400) but I suspect that it won't looking purely at the other pic

22624.jpg

What I meant to say is that I suspect that the air awning will not clear the pull out

Thanks, I will have to do some searching I also do not want to take that awning off because of all the holes and markings that it will leave

Thanks.

Hi

from the picture it looks as though you could still slide an air awning into the track ,would need to be wide enough to clear the Omnistor though

Steve

The one that I posted is 4m by 2.5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, terrierbite said:

Hi

from the picture it looks as though you could still slide an air awning into the track ,would need to be wide enough to clear the Omnistor though

Steve

Sorry but I think you are incorrect and Frankbullet has got it right. 

I am sat out of the sun on a French campsite looking at my air awning at this precise moment. The awning would certainly slide into the awning rail without issue BUT the bladders would, without any doubt at all, clearly foul on the wind out awning as shown on the OP’s second post.,

The air bladders sit right against the caravan wall directly under the awning rails (Sunncamp awning)

However...... A NON air awning probably WOULD fit over the wind out. Something like a Kampa Ace 400 for example where the poles are external and rest JUST under the awning rail? (I had one of them before changing an air, very good it was too) 

https://www.kampa.co.uk/awning/ace-pro-400

Andy

387ACE19-9CC0-43D8-97AB-05485ED5AA82.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Just had a thought.

I don't know the make of the roll out, but I have seen sides and front panels that can be added to this type of awning. may be worth looking at?

1 hour ago, terrierbite said:

Hi

Steve

You're spot on Steve, i saw the exact same set up at Henly last year.  As long as the air awning is wider than the rollout awning it's fine.

27 minutes ago, Robbido said:

You're spot on Steve, i saw the exact same set up at Henly last year.  As long as the air awning is wider than the rollout awning it's fine.

You are recalling from your memory. 

I am actually sat looking at the air awning that’s fixed to the side of my caravan now. Mine is a 390 version. It has a bladder at each end AND two more between the outer two. They sit directly under the awning rail which is where the roll out is on the OP’s wind out awning. Trust me there is most certainly is not enough room between the top of his wind out and the awning rail.

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, I have just measured mine, the bottom of the bladder is 17cm (7”) below the awning channel, from that point they also angle down slightly. 

Andy

I propably end up getting an non air awning like Andy said, I will look into that Kampa ace pro👍 

Just have to be sure it is wide enough to cover the Omnistor, going out to measure that😀

thanks

Posted (edited)

Omnistor roll out awning is 405-406cm in length,  Aco pro 400 should cover it..

and I was the one looking for not to big awning😂 

Edited by Onni

I agree theres not enough room for the huge bladders. I was thinking the bigger Isabella Magnum would do it,  theres enough space for the Fixons between the rail and the Omnistor but you may struggle to get the centre roof pole engaged unless you put the pole in the Fixon first.

56 minutes ago, Onni said:

Omnistor roll out awning is 405-406cm in length,  Aco pro 400 should cover it..

and I was the one looking for not to big awning😂 

In that case the Kampa 400 will in all probability  NOT fit as the 400 relates to the external (and not the internal) width. Your wind out is 405-406 so you will need something that is at LEAST that wide internally. You might be able to “fiddle” it a bit to fit around the end of your wind out, but you will need to try one before lashing out that sort of money only to find it won’t  fit. 

Another option is to perhaps seek out a slightly smaller wind out. I am pretty sure that the actual fixings are not “fixed” to the awning box so your existing fixing points (I.e. the holes in the side of your caravan) could be used again. But it would be best to check that carefully. 

Your cheapest/easiest option is probably going to be a second hand full sized awning as that will “over-sail” both ends (and the top) of your wind out! They are around and can be picked up pretty cheaply off eBay etc. I got a size 17 Dorema a couple of years ago for £100! Used for a season and sold it on for.........

£125 ! There are only two of us so a full size awning was like a barn! 

Good of luck and do let us know how you get on.

Andy

If you had an air awning where the only air pole is an arch at the front, ( sunncamp make one,) you wouldn’t have the problem of the air poles ending up where the omnistore is located. You would just need to make sure that the side walls and pads were wider than the omnistore. 

I think

nanamel

• Thanks 1

The same as the make that the OP was looking at and I put an image of on above.

17 hours ago, Easy T said:

The same as the make that the OP was looking at and I put an image of on above.

Fantastic. Great minds think alike.  :D

nanamel