Sign in to follow this  
Paul&Helena

Kampa air ace 400 leaking in

Hello guys I was just wondering if any of you have a kampa air awning and experienced excessive water ingress.

We had our awning new Sept 18 and have just used it for the fourth time and the first time in real rain. We was shocked to see how much water it was leaking in from roof panels the sides are fine it's almost as if the roof panels are not water proofed everything we left in awning was soaking wet including poor dogs bed. I have contacted the supplying dealer via email but have had no response. I don't want to add sealer to fabric incase they say I have invalidated the warranty by doing so. What would your plan of action  be considering this is a thousand pound awning replys much appreciated paul 

We had the same issue with our Air Ace and quickly sold it on after about 14 nights in Scotland even though it was still under warranty.  A big issue was water pooling on the roof.  Kampa insisted that the joins should get wet to help them seal however water was still coming in 14 days later.  The other issue on the few days that we did have sunshine with no rain, the awning inside was as if it had been raining inside the awning.  We have now got an Isabella porch awning which was bought at the same price as the Air Ace and is just as quick to erect.  No more leaks etc.  :D

Leaks were one of many issues we had with our Kampa and we  quickly sold it on and went back to an Isabella. There's a Facebook page called  ' My Kampa Awning Leaks'. They have over 300 members and were trying to get some kind of reaction from Kampa.

There's also a Kampa Tent and Awning group. Might be worth joining them, they have over 2000 members so will have a wealth of info in getting your inflatable watertight.

Posted (edited)

About 3 years ago I had a very leaky Kampa 390 Air Pro, it leaked badly. My deLer & Kampa both 'sealed' it, still leaked. I got my money back via my MasterCard as dealer/Kampa wouldn't do a refund. I've now got the same as you, Kampa Ace Air 400, love it & it's dry. You could go down the road of asking them to reseal it but it looks to me as if it's not been made properly I've sealant missing/wrong sewing thread. 

Good luck in getting it sorted, I'd ask for a replacement. 

Edited by Hairyspinner

21 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We had the same issue with our Air Ace and quickly sold it on after about 14 nights in Scotland even though it was still under warranty.  A big issue was water pooling on the roof.  Kampa insisted that the joins should get wet to help them seal however water was still coming in 14 days later.  The other issue on the few days that we did have sunshine with no rain, the awning inside was as if it had been raining inside the awning.  We have now got an Isabella porch awning which was bought at the same price as the Air Ace and is just as quick to erect.  No more leaks etc.  :D

August 2016 exactly the same but we were at the New Forest, our dealer Salop Leisure took it back without hesitation and asked do we want a refund, we brought another Isabella.

As i have posted before mine also leaked. I went to last years national and went to the kampa stand told them my awning leaked they gave me a spray can of their sealent. Now appears to be ok.

There's a theme running here. Our Kampa Ace Air also leaked like a colander from new, so much so that we dumped it in France and bought a Cabanon Awning from a French dealership, who reluctantly took the soggy Kampa in part exchange.

Hi, our Kampa 390 pro leaked and blew up in France a few years back . to be fair Kampa sent out replacement air beams but they broke too...... swapped it for a Isabella after dealer took it back .. it’s quite a common theme here .. 

Kampa are not great at dealing with returns via dealers, the won’t refund the dealer. My local dealer was looking at getting rid of them as a brand .. 

4 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

There's a Facebook page called  ' My Kampa Awning Leaks'. They have over 300 members and were trying to get some kind of reaction from Kampa.

I'm one of the members on there, I've mentioned our story before but I'll re-cap:

I purchased a Kampa Rally 390 Plus in August 2017 from an online store as they were around £150 cheaper than our local place (Tamworth Camping).  We used it for the first time in October 2017 and were concerned at the amount of condensation forming on the inside of the roof, we didn't really have much rain, just the odd very light shower, so I decided to buy their inner roof liner which was advertised as helping minimise condensation.

March 2018 and we used it again, this time we had rain and I noticed the inner roof lining was soaked, to the point that it was soaking through the roof lining and dripping onto everything below.  To improve the roof liner I decided to waterproof it and soaked it in some waterproofing solution.

May 2018 at Cheddar, the weather was brilliant and our next door neighbour had the exact same awning.  We had torrential rain one day and the rain poured through the roof of our awning, onto the liner, which now being waterproofed it, allowed the water to run down it and off the ends.  The rain also leaked through the end panels.  These leaks weren't through any stitching/seams, it was coming through the actual material.  Our neighbours with the same awning had ZERO leaks and couldn't believe how ours was totally different to theirs.

July and August 2018 saw the same thing happening on other trips when it rained.  I decided enough was enough and contacted the original supplier, it turned out they'd folded.  Someone on here kindly supplied me with a phone number for the owner but it just rang out.  I contacted Kampa direct who told me I had to go through my dealer.  But my dealer had folded, what should I do?  Contact your dealer was Kampa's reply.  It went on like this for a few days until I bit the bullet, purchased 2.5 litres of Fabsil Gold and on a warm day, waterproofed the entire awning with it.

October 2018 and we were away and typically, the only rain was a few light showers so not really a full test, BUT the early morning condensation seemed less.  Seeing as the Fabsil soaked through the material I concluded that it perhaps helped the condensation run off the surface.

March 2019 and once again we were away and it didn't rain!  We've just returned from a few days away at Carsington Water and it DID rain.  But we used our other (smaller) awning!  This other awning was a cheap-ish Dorema Starcamp, new at £250 I was concerned that the material felt thin and cheap, but despite some real downpours, not a drop of water came through.

I love the design of the Kampa, I don't like the weight and the problems I had.  

On 30/05/2019 at 11:06, Durbanite said:

Thank you for your reply very interesting like you I have had previous pole awnings of various makes which never leaked when raining. We decided on a kampa air like most of you I guess because of the ease of putting it up and the reassurance of no poles to damage our pride and joys and to be honest the space is amazing with the reassurance of our supplying dealer accessories staff whom recommended the kampa we handed over around a £1000 and left happy end of Sept 18. Now it leaks so badly it's pointless having it, all our belongings were soaked including our poor dogs bed he had a very wet night as he sleeps in awning main reason we have an awning. supplying dealer said he's going to contact kampa but as yet nothing! Just as our season begins looks like a 20K plus caravan won't be being used why does it seem like dealers just don't care ? will update and let you know the outcome fingers crossed.

The wife wants us to buy the Kampa Air Break Pro 5 windbreak, but I am very reluctant to invest in it even though it will be beneficial to us when erecting the windbreak to keep the dogs contained.  The last thing we need is the windbreak deflating and then having to contain the dogs by tying them up.