Sign in to follow this  
MHO

Using your Fridge on gas not electric

Greetings all.

The wife and I are off to a 4 day festival in July (please don’t overly judge us) where there will be no hook-up for our Castelton HD Römer 2D. It has an Electrolux RM212,F fridge built in which the handbook states works from both electric and gas. I am currently sat on my driveway and I think I have got it going on gas. I followed the instructions and it seemed to ignite the coupling I just wait to see if it chills.

I have a questions please if someone could assist.

How long would a 4.5kg gas bottle last. Is it hungry on gas ?

many thanks in anticipation.

It depends to a certain extent on the ambient temperature and on whether you're using gas for cooking as well. Does either the caravan or the fridge handbook/manual quote gas consumption figures. You may be able to work out a theoretical answer to your own question. Our 'van has a tall Dometic fridge freezer. An 11 kg bottle of propane has just lasted us 20 days, using the fridge the whole and the oven two or three times for an hour or so. (average daytime temperature 23° C)

Unfortunately, whatever advice you get, you won't really know until you try it. Can you take a spare bottle?

You will probably heat water with gas and use gas to cook. We have then survived easily for 3 days with 4.5kg Butane in mid summer, but never used gas for space heating as it is summer. We were on non EHU star festivals.

Best of luck

Yes we have two bottles so I guess trial and error is the way forward. Thank you.

Fridges are not hard on gas.

21 minutes ago, MHO said:

Yes we have two bottles so I guess trial and error is the way forward. Thank you.

Yes that should do subject to weather...we would normally use 6kg propane at this time of year.

geoff

23 minutes ago, MHO said:

Greetings all.

The wife and I are off to a 4 day festival in July (please don’t overly judge us) where there will be no hook-up for our Castelton HD Römer 2D. It has an Electrolux RM212,F fridge built in which the handbook states works from both electric and gas. I am currently sat on my driveway and I think I have got it going on gas. I followed the instructions and it seemed to ignite the coupling I just wait to see if it chills.

I have a questions please if someone could assist.

How long would a 4.5kg gas bottle last. Is it hungry on gas ?

many thanks in anticipation.

We have  the same  model of fridge, and it failed on the mains electric on Day 1 in Spain in December 2018! At the time, we had only 2 Camping Gaz 907 Gas Bottles, each containing 2.72kg [6lb] of gas. According to the Manual, gas consumption was about 250g  per day; by choosing a gas setting of Level 2, and taking advantage of the very cold Spanish nights, we managed to consume slightly less gas until we managed to get the fridge repaired, but it was a close run thing! I think the 907 bottle has less than 300g of gas remaining! It was close enough to empty to persuade us to buy a Spanish gas bottle of 11kg, with new regulator, tubing etc about 2days before the repair was made!

Steve

All great advice chaps, as always, 

thanks

In the summer we use a 6kg bottle in 10 days. Fridge, hot water and cooking but no heating

I would consider swapping to a bigger bottle or changing to 6kg propane as the cost difference on refilling isn't that great for twice as much gas, a 6kg propane would last us a week for cooking hot water and some nighttime heating.

oh and the fridge :)

Posted (edited)

This is from the manual.  So, 18 to 30 days for the fridge alone.

image.png.8798e1235f23667a6e37db980e16c560.png

Edited by kelper