Sign in to follow this  
Michaela

Does anyone have any suggestions for generators please?

Hi all

Just got an Elddis Odyssey 634. We are probably going to use it quite a lot where there is probably no electric hookup. Does anyone have any suggestions for generators please? Or the ones to steer clear of? Want it to last.

Thanks in advance 

How long are you planning to be off EHU?...a couple of days? a week or longer? In which case non-irritating solar panels may be the answer. Generators are not welcome in lots of caravanning environments.

geoff

• Like 2

Yes, most will not allow a generator and you will have disgruntled neighbours anywhere that does.

You can minimise electricity usage by heating water, making brews and running the fridge from gas.

• Like 2

we use a 12V tv several hours a day with battery topped up by solar. Just about everything runs on gas or 12V in a modern van.

• Like 1

We have a Honda suitcase generator I1.0, its very rare we go anywhere with ehu, its very good, extremely quiet, but I am always wary of upsetting anyone with it, saying that, nobody has ever complained to us about it.

As Geoff says a solar panel is great, especially in summer, winter time not always so great.

We have been on sites with people with noisy generators, but so long as they are not running all the time or at daft o'clock, no bother to us.

Mark

I have a Honda EU20i, very quiet, very reliable, great genny. You must use them with consideration for others though. I have solar on the roof and that copes for most of our needs including the microwave. Genny there just for backup!

Solar vs Generators.   I have been since on a Rally with no ehu since Saturday. There are 16 units on the Rally.   Up to now I haven’t heard a single generator.  I have a couple of spare batteries for people to borrow.  No one has taken me up on my offer. Almost everyone has a solar panel.   Personally unless you have a medical need for 240v or going away for a month in December then in my opinion a generator is not really needed. 

• Like 1

If I use mine on a rally, very seldom these days, I offer the immediate neighbours a charge at the same time.

Ian

Yes. Buy a Honda. It will be so good your grandkids will inherit it.   As others have said. Solar is silent and cheaper.  We have 160 w available and haven’t needed sparky for a couple of years for vanning. ( it gets used for many other things as well).  20 years old and still purring away.   

• Like 1

Hyundai do a nice gas 1kw suit case generator, not as dear as a Honda but very good. As for upsetting other people just be sensible about times you use it . If they still moan who cares they probably moan about everything anyway, and will you see them again in the near future ? Probably never.

33 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Hyundai do a nice gas 1kw suit case generator, not as dear as a Honda but very good. As for upsetting other people just be sensible about times you use it . If they still moan who cares they probably moan about everything anyway, and will you see them again in the near future ? Probably never.

How nice.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CraigP2005 said:

How nice.

Could be worse they could be a leave voter. Haha. Just seems that unless you do what ever the people on here want your wrong so I if I was him I would not worry to much.

• Like 1

This comes up every so often. The correct answer is that it depends on what you want it for.

Top up batteries - use a solar panel instead

Run something with a high draw - generator for when you need it.

Put it this way, a 120w solar panel will put 10amps per hour back into your battery in good conditions. A generator will put about the same in regardless of conditions. Most don't use that much power that they need 10amps per hour so a solar panel is more than enough.

The problem comes when you want to run something like an iron, hairdryer or microwave. Solar is 12v so you need a big heavy, expensive inverter with multiple batteries to run it all safely. This is where a generator comes in.

So to this end, I see the little 1kw generators as a bit pointless, get a solar panel and inverter instead. If you do need the higher draw stuff, then look at the bigger generators, Honda Eu22i is undoubtedly the best, but it's not perfect, it only does 1800w which might not be enough, it is recoil start only so for some this is a factor, and it is expensive, very expensive. There are other options like the Hyundai HY3000SEI, which is roughly 2/3 the price of the Honda, it has remote electric start and is 2800w, but the tradeoff is that it is heavier, louder and most likely less reliable than the Honda. 

I have an Evopower 3000sei which is the Hyundai in a different casing and cheaper. It's not skipped a beat in the 3 year's I've had it. But it's only run for 20mins at a time when I need it, the rest of the time my solar panel does everything I need.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As said there are restrictions on generators use on sites . I think the CMC give time periods for there use on sites .

I was on a CMC site last week and heard of complaints about someone working from the site in a RV running a generator at 2 in the morning .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

They did say they was going where there was no ehu so guess it’s not a big club site.

Don’t get one! Use a Solar panel instead - they work quietly and they last for at least 20 yrs!

9 hours ago, Bobajob63 said:

Don’t get one! Use a Solar panel instead - they work quietly and they last for at least 20 yrs!

Allegedly but very few people KNOW that they do, I know many that have failed in less than 3 years!

I have both solar and a genny, most of the time the solar does it, just occasionally though I have to use the genny.

If you want relatively cheap power use solar, if you want reliable power use a genny.

• Like 2

Semiflex panels don't last for long but the rigid panels lasts a very long time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Shipbroker -  I have to agree with the posters who point you towards Solar Panels! No noise, no fuel and no pollution!  For the price of a good genny, you should be able to fit a good sized array on top or if you don’t fancy that, a 150w suitcase panel. It maybe that you want to run a hair dryer, hoover and toaster or whatever but there are better ways of doing it and living in peace with your neighbours.  However, if that’s what you will want to do and you don’t want to go down the inverter route then that is the only way I can see. If you used an inverter then don’t pull large amps from a Lead Acid Battery- you’ll damage it. - you are then looking at a Lithium which I suspect you’ll not want to do. I do all the above through a lithium and an inverter and not a sound do I make! 

Edited by Bobajob63

Interesting...answered everyone else's comments too....not my gentle one.

Inverter...wouldn't know what one looked like.....Lithium only in my mobile phone I suspect.

Yes I am a solar power fan and nowt else I am afraid.

geoff

Posted (edited)

I guess it’s all down to your power usage. We found if off ehu the hairdryer needs a generator or a massive battery bank and huge solar panels. We went generator as it was cheaper. Plus you can always sell the generator when getting rid of the caravan.

Edited by Odd days
Added

1 hour ago, Odd days said:

I guess it’s all down to your power usage. We found if off ehu the hairdryer needs a generator or a massive battery bank and huge solar panels. We went generator as it was cheaper. Plus you can always sell the generator when getting rid of the caravan.

And you KNOW you can get power when needed with a genny, with solar it depends on the weather etc.

• Like 2

And you know when you have gone away and the weathers not quite living up to expectations, the batteries flat, its a horrible wet grey day, and the next days the same, not much will work in caravan, solar isn't going to put much charge in the battery, our Genny is very handy, sure its not only us that have seen people with the car hooked up and running to charge the battery, some people have been very glad of a loan of Genny, on the other side of the coin, lovely sunny day's, thinking what we brought Genny along for. Knowing we are not all the same, when we go away with the van we like to put our feet up, wind down and take a rest, watch things on the tv listen to radio have the lights on, take a shower etc. We appreciate people use their vans differently, and may go away to get away from all those things, but we don't so Genny will be coming with us, just in case.

Mark

On 28/05/2019 at 20:07, Michaela said:

Hi all

Just got an Elddis Odyssey 634. We are probably going to use it quite a lot where there is probably no electric hookup. Does anyone have any suggestions for generators please? Or the ones to steer clear of? Want it to last.

Thanks in advance 

Honda EU20i, you cant go wrong with these, not the cheapest but absolutely reliable, compact and quiet.