Sign in to follow this  
Paul & Shell

Which awning?

Hi, me and my wife are taking delivery of a coachman Pastiche 575 caravan and are going to purchase an awning.

We are new to touring and would greatly appreciate suggestions of which awning would fit. We quite like the air awning.

Thanks in advance.

Paul & Shell

I'd first go away without an awning.  You may find that you don't really need one.

I watch people struggle to put them up, I see them take them down early, because rain is forecast.  I see them pack away wet awnings, which means you have to dry them out when you get home.

I see air awnings where the tubes have punctured, and those with poles that have snapped.

You'll pay extra to have them on sites, all so you can sit in a tent and not your nice and comfortable caravan.

OK, if you are taking a hoard of children, or a pack of dogs, you may need the extra space, but if not, I don't think you need one.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to CT  :)

Edited by Wunny
  • Like 1

It's your choice! Many people love having an awning attached! 

I have three types of awning - first a small traditional poled porch - useful for a 'buffer' when it's raining, especially when we take the dogs. Secondly, we have a Bradcot Modul 390 air awing - awesome! And, thirdly, for longer stays we have a full awning with fibre poles (can't remember the make!). We find that we don't always use an awaning, especailly for just a weekend.

Each to their own buddy!

Martin W

I like to sit out in the awning with a drink and a book, we have a full awning, a porch and my/our favourite a Ventura air awning. best of all it keeps all the wet gear and muddy boots out of the caravan :)

Hi Paul and Shell welcome to Caravanning.  You will find all sorts of views and preferences on which is the best awning configuration. Some folks end up with more than one awning ( or even more :blush:). Have a think about how you are going to use your caravan.  Mostly short breaks, or for long periods on site. Air awnings or lightweight poled porch awnings are quicker and easier to put up than the full poled awning, easier for short breaks.  Yes, with practice the full poled awning does get quicker, but as you are newbies, this may not be the practice you need. 

If you are going to go for the porch awning, measure the van carefully. Avoid the awning crossing a window if possible.  There are lots of awning reviews and videos on you tube.

good luck

nanamel

We sold our Isabella Capri when my wife developed shoulder problems and was not able to help so bought an air awning thinking it was easier to erect and would weigh less.

Easier to erect - yes

Weighed less - no (unless you go for a small porch type)

Because the air awnings need a run of horizontal awning rail people often have to cover a window - air awnings do not like going round corners.

Air awning are difficult to get looking neat - especially if the pitch has a slight slope - you cannot adjust their height.

An air awning will spring a leak in one of its tubes sooner or later - so spare tubes are advised. Ours sprung a leak on one of the tube seams while in the south of France and was unrepairable. The replacement tube mailed out under warranty also had a leak in the same area! For the rest of trip the awning was supported in one corner by two brooms lashed together. The tubes in a lot of air awnings are made of similar weight plastic to a cheap beach li-lo.

After that we vowed never to touch an air awning again and it was a back to an immaculate newer model Isabella Capri from eBay. Oh the joy of all that space back plus the sheer quality of the material and carbon fibre poles and with a bit of practice, almost as easy to erect.

We prefer to eat and spend time in the evening in the awning in the fresh air, enjoying each others company, some nice wine and music, no TV for us.

A lot of people swear by the air awning but not us.

• Like 1

You mentioned yourself & wife but no mention of offspring, so I'm going to assume it's just the two of you.

Trying a trip in the van with no awning is a good idea, you may well find you simply don't need one.

That said, I find our awning really handy particularly the weather is wet (if you spend any time away in the UK, there's bound to be some wet weather).   

Wet clothing & boots can stay outside & not mess up your nice new van.

If it's really hot you get some useful shade (unzip the panels to get maximum airflow).

Also, we seem to travel with loads of 'stuff' and the awning is a handy place to keep things without them cluttering up the van.

As others have said, many people end up with more than one awning, so I would recommend getting a porch awning at first.  It's cheaper, they weight less, and are  easier & quicker to put up.  For two people you may well find you don't need anything bigger.  

We have a Kampa Rally Pro 260 and that works well for the two of us. 

Like Nanamel said, look carefully at how a given size of porch awning will fit onto your van.

Hello and :welcome: if you decide on a porch awning then you either need a 2metre or a >3.3metre size to fit best on a 575. The shorter one will fit from just in front of the door to just in front of the underbed hatch and the longer size fits from the door to aft of the side hatch.

The best advice is to try without - we do have one but also have a child and take loads of stuff with us. I’ll be buying a sun shade for the summer trip to France as our use of the awning is limited over there.

Please don't go down the air route, had four and now gone back to poles.

Great for ease of erection, yes but they don't have the longevity of the heavier material used in the leading awning brands. The last one I had the airbeam sleeve gave way which nearly took the outer fly with it.

I have a small 2m wide light weight awning for the colder months, then a mid and a full.

See how you get on and work out what you might use one for. I'd start with a decent size porch  like a Ventura marlin that way if you don't like it you can sell it easily enough

• Like 1

We have a 2016 pastiche 575,

We used to have a 390 porch awning,

We now have a 320 porch awning for February holiday.

A full awning of the traditional variety for the seasonal pitch and the other 3  holidays.

The 575 can suit many size porch awnings because of the lack of a rear window, the only cautionary note is the gap between door and front window when choosing a porch type.

Hi and welcome. We too are refugees from Air awnings now firmly back in the poled (Isabella) awning camp. Plenty of good used Isabellas on ebay, watch the videos on how easy they are to put up. When the time comes to get a bigger one (which it will!) you'll still get good money for your old one.

With hindsight, when we started caravanning an Isabella Major porch awning would have saved us a lot of money over the years, rather than buying a awning for each caravan.

An Isabella awning will take some beating for quality, I did try a camptech air awning but wasn't impressed so I also went back to our polled awnings.

Roll on a few months and we saw a Ventura air and Bradcot Modul air at Bawtry Caravans, they both looked good and made with good quality materials and not a lot between them, so we walked around all the air types then went back the top 2.

We went for the Ventura as we know how good Isabella is and hoped their stable mate would be as good as their reputation, we were not disappointed. 

As I said both the Bradcot Modul and Ventura pascal ticked all our boxes, but they're not cheap.

Bradcot modul everytime for me, very good quality, easy to erect and can be added to very easily. Awnings as with everything are a very personal choice and can come down to, 'appearance' in other words does the boss think it looks nice. Plus consider the warranty, does it reflect the very expensive investment you are making?

• Like 1

Consider a used awning instead of new.

We bought a used Isabella this year for £200. Old but in perfect condition.

At the  moment all our advice may be for nought as Paul & Shell have not been back since they posted and they stayed only for 15 minutes.

Also they are not an authorised member yet so we may never hear from them again. Perhaps this thread will be of use in the future for other people.

Let's hope so:)

One cautionary note regarding the Bradcot Residentia full awning we bought a few weeks back.

It's a good awning, not as flash as the Isabella but made of the same material, the clips that are sewn into the fabric for the ladders, snapped over 6 now, very flimsy, replaced with Acetal rods cut to length and pushed into the fabric hoop left behind.

Not the end of the world, poor design though.

Rods bought from Plastics Direct.

Dirt cheap.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

Hi

We have an Isabella Magnum Coal 250 - great awning but its divorce material when we are putting it up. Because of this it only gets used if we are on holiday for two weeks or more. This year we purchased a Kampa Sunshine Air Pro 400 sun canopy. Its up in about five minutes and is great for short stays. If I was buying a new awning would definitely consider an inflatable type!!

Hope this helps

We've had many trips without an awning and I just bought a used porch awning for £40 on Shpock.

If we don't like it or need something bigger I can sell it for probably what I paid for it.

2 hours ago, GaryRobbo said:

Hi

We have an Isabella Magnum Coal 250 - great awning but its divorce material when we are putting it up. Because of this it only gets used if we are on holiday for two weeks or more. This year we purchased a Kampa Sunshine Air Pro 400 sun canopy. Its up in about five minutes and is great for short stays. If I was buying a new awning would definitely consider an inflatable type!!

Hope this helps

We also have the sunshine air Pro,  it's ideal for our needs and as you say it's so quick and easy to put up, ideal for weekends.

my advice would be to look around on site and Talk to the people, they can explain a lot when the awning up for you to see . You can also watch out for any issues folk may be having with erecting an  awning.  With myself, the first one was  a large porch  awning with metal poles, it was so heavy and although we colour coded the poles, we tried it twice and then sold it, just couldn't get the hang of it. Then we went without for a few years until we got a small porch awning with carbon rods, that suited us until OH put the rods through the material, stuck it together with marine tape , then he did it again, so we ditched that one.   For the last 3 years we have had an Outdoor revolution  large porch awning and it's great. Not so heavy as some and it's up in no time. We can manage without an awning and we do for short trips, but it is nice to have the extra room, somewhere to leave the shoes and to wipe the dogs down , it does keep the caravan a bit cleaner and tidier as well.

Hi

If I was starting again I would be looking for a lightweight porch awning that pegs from the outside and has a roof liner to cut down on condensation drips.

By the way, they don't call awnings "Divorce in a bag" for nothing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RobD42 said:

Hi

If I was starting again I would be looking for a lightweight porch awning that pegs from the outside and has a roof liner to cut down on condensation drips.

By the way, they don't call awnings "Divorce in a bag" for nothing.

7 hours ago, GaryRobbo said:

Hi

Hope this helps

Just don't understand this divorce in a bag thing especially with the Magnum. So simple to put up, 30 minutes from out of the bag to fully up on a grass pitch.

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

https://walker-awnings.co.uk/awnings/

Have a look at Walker Awnings, I’ve had mine 5 years, it’s still in perfect condition and the quality is comparable to Isabelle for less money. I picked mine up from the factory in Holland as I only live an hour away, great family business.

For short trips we have a Thule Omnistor mounted on the roof, excellent bit of kit.

We had a Magnum with fibre poles for years, then her indoors decided that there was not enough room in it for extended stays. So we splashed out for an Isabella Ambassador Coal, a full awning with the same type of poles. I found that the full awning was no more trouble to errect than the Magnum, so the Magum was sold to a good home.

We then thought that touring, like going around the coast of Scotland, where we only stay for two or at the most three nights it wasn't worth putting up a full awning. We started looking for a small easy to errect awning and plumped for a Westfield Travel Smart Lynx 240. Tried it once so far, not too happy about it. The dog kept getting her tether wrapped around the guy ropes, my wife nearly broke her neck tripping over them in the dark, and it never realy looked 'tidy'. Had to buy some solar lights to mark the pegs in the dark.